• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2005,12:37)]A very eventful morning. We declared on 401-4 and off 20 overs Yorkshire are 53-4 and Tudor has already taken 2 wickets with Adams and Napier at one a piece. Can Essex really go onto win this?

smile.gif
And now it's five down! Come on boys!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ April 16 2005,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2005,12:37)]A very eventful morning. We declared on 401-4 and off 20 overs Yorkshire are 53-4 and Tudor has already taken 2 wickets with Adams and Napier at one a piece. Can Essex really go onto win this?

smile.gif
And now it's five down! Come on boys!
6 down!

If only we had 4 full days play
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2005,13:23)]Well seeing as both teams have forfeited their 2nd innings, its all going well ...
Where did you find that out Kev? (not doubting you, just curious
smile.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2005,16:55)]Hmm. They got it wrong as Yorkshire are 52-2 off 11 overs and are 154 behind ...
We know better than to trust you Kev.

So Essex ran out of time. I just wonder if the result might have been different if Grant Flower had shown a bit more urgency with his batting. Spending 5 or 6 hours making 65 is going to always leave you running out of time in a rain affected game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 16 2005,18:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 16 2005,16:55)]Hmm. They got it wrong as Yorkshire are 52-2 off 11 overs and are 154 behind ...
We know better than to trust you Kev.

So Essex ran out of time. I just wonder if the result might have been different if Grant Flower had shown a bit more urgency with his batting. Spending 5 or 6 hours making 65 is going to always leave you running out of time in a rain affected game.
Getting the digs in at Grant Flower already, I see...

tounge.gif

(Carry on, BTW... even if I invariably disagree with you about footy, I'm with you 100% on the disastrous, ridiculous signing of G. Flower...)

wink.gif

Matt

Very encouraging start in both forms of the game. Looking at our batting line-up for the Yorkshire game we has Adams and Tudor at 9 and 10, that is very strong and should be able to post 400 without a great deal of trouble against most side in Div 2. If Danish can weave his magic when he re-joins in June I think we can look forward to a very exciting year in the CC

Definitely agree its been an encouraging start.

I still have my doubts about the bowling attack. 5 years ago Gough, Tudor, Cowan and Irani could easily have been the England seam attack but all 4 have suffered chronic injuries and major question marks remain over their fitness.

Tudor has taken wickets in his opening spell in all 4 innings he has bowled in, but seems to be used sparingly in 5 over bursts and I think is yet to bowl a telling second spell. This makes me doubt his fitness, although its obviously early days.

My concern is that the last few years we've regularly got sides 6 or 7 down relatively cheaply, only to be denied by a big stand by the lower order. I think having a bowling attack with question marks over its fitness contributes to this problem as our bowlers don't have the stamina to come back and knock over the lower middle order.

The key player is therefore going to be Kaneria on two accounts, firstly he will bowl long spells (it'll be no bad thing with England touring Pakistan next winter if we bowl him into the ground) allowing our quicks to remain fresh and secondly being a leggie he should be useful in ending lower order resistance from the no.7s and 8s who have a good eye but not such good technique.

If our team stays fit I expect a challenge for honours on at least two fronts.

Apparently we're after Dale Steyn (sp?) the SA fast bowler to cover for Danish until June ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 18 2005,12:46)]Apparently we're after Dale Steyn (sp?) the SA fast bowler to cover for Danish until June ...
that is the rumour and because the pitches don't become particularly effective for spinners until June, they are looking to bring in a seamer.

the other argument is why not bring in a 2nd team younger player to benefit them and the club in the long term. well, if we can get an international in, i would sooner rather see essex with him then cowan, bishop, ten desh*te.

Would be a reasonable signing. Got to say I am dead impressed by the balance of the team this year. Quality batsman in the Flower bros, Jeffereson, Irani; great youth coming through Bopara and Cook; spin bowling Middlebrook (who will always pick up wickets at this level) Danish and Grant Flower; Fossie behind the stumps; Tudor, Gough, Cowan, Adams and Napier. I'm tempted to put money on the County Championship and one day league. Anybody done likewise?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 18 2005,16:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ April 18 2005,12:46)]Apparently we're after Dale Steyn (sp?) the SA fast bowler to cover for Danish until June ...
that is the rumour and because the pitches don't become particularly effective for spinners until June, they are looking to bring in a seamer.

the other argument is why not bring in a 2nd team younger player to benefit them and the club in the long term. well, if we can get an international in, i would sooner rather see essex with him then cowan, bishop, ten desh*te.
Dale Steyn had only played about 6 first class games when he got picked by South Africa for the tests. I think he is actually quite a promising fast bowler but is a long way from the finished article. I would be completely against Essex signing him on a short term contract, as the only beneficiary would be Dale Steyn and South Africa.

I think county cricket has a moral duty to produce players for England - not least because the England team heavily subsidises the county scene. It would be an obscene situation if the money England generates from tests and ODIs is recycled to provide a finishing school for Dale Steyn and other South African raw talent.

I don't have a problem with overseas players - I think Andy Flower was a tremendous acquisition for the club and must surely help develop the likes of Foster to have an international wicketkeeper and Cook to have a top class left handed batsman pass on their experience - but signing a rookie like Steyn is not going to do that.

Back