• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Estate agent recommendations?

ms brush

Saga Lout
Hi all,
I am finally close to getting Mr Brush to agree to move back home to the South East corner of Essex in the next few months. Trouble is, he wants to go and look at a few properties in the area before we list ours, which is a problem in these mad times as the market is moving quickly and I cant imagine sellers entertaining viewings at the moment without clear intention to put in an offer.

So, can anyone recommend a reliable estate agent who we can go to see, in Westcliff, Leigh, Hadleigh, or Benfleet?

Initially it would be for a chat, to see what is available (believe me, i am a rightmove buff, but that isnt cutting it), and he can see for himself what is currently available. I think that is the best way to convince Mr Brush to list ours...

Hi all,
I am finally close to getting Mr Brush to agree to move back home to the South East corner of Essex in the next few months. Trouble is, he wants to go and look at a few properties in the area before we list ours, which is a problem in these mad times as the market is moving quickly and I cant imagine sellers entertaining viewings at the moment without clear intention to put in an offer.

So, can anyone recommend a reliable estate agent who we can go to see, in Westcliff, Leigh, Hadleigh, or Benfleet?

Initially it would be for a chat, to see what is available (believe me, i am a rightmove buff, but that isnt cutting it), and he can see for himself what is currently available. I think that is the best way to convince Mr Brush to list ours...
Speak to OBL as she works in an Estate Agents a nd will be able to advise

We have bought and sold using Bear.
And I found them very good at keeping us informed.
Kyle, the founder of Bear is always "up" for a chat about anything SUFC.
Sponsors of SUFC, SZ and iirc a player

Lovely, thank you. I had forgotten about Bear - Kyle used to sit behind us a few seasons ago, back in the days when we were good, and we were allowed out of the house... i will give them a shout next week.

Ron Martin my be worth a try......He can get you a deal others can't.

I think alot depends on what part you want to move to. I find what agent is beat depends on the postcode. Hunt Roche best for ss3 for example. Zero point viewing properties if yours isn't up for sale as it'll come and go before you even know it. You don't want to see an amazing place that comes and goes before you've even put it on the market. List yours, get all your finances in place, sort out what you can offer up to and then go shopping...

We need to decide who to list ours with, valuations done now and some interesting things to consider. Its been a long time since I last moved, and things do seem very different from last time (2003). Its a decent sized bungalow, big south facing garden, and in one of the better parts of Braintree, so should sell pretty quickly.

Finances already sorted, thankfully. We have both equity and some contingency. Budget looks much better than expected, and mortgage can be ported (thanks to a fellow Shrimper!)

My preferences are South Benfleet, Thundersley, Leigh (a127 side), Eastwood or Westcliff (prittlewell chase side, as slightly less crowded). Grew up on Canvey, so would be cost effective, but dont think i could bear the traffic on and off every day! But open minded, thd area has changed since i lived there, hence wanting to speak to a couple of experts. It just needs to be the right property at the right price!

Last edited:
We need to decide who to list ours with, valuations done now and some interesting things to consider. Its been a long time since I last moved, and things do seem very different from last time (2003). Its a decent sized bungalow, big south facing garden, and in one of the better parts of Braintree, so should sell pretty quickly.

Finances already sorted, thankfully. We have both equity and some contingency. Budget looks much better than expected, and mortgage can be ported (thanks to a fellow Shrimper!)

My preferences are South Benfleet, Thundersley, Leigh (a127 side), Eastwood or Westcliff (prittlewell chase side, as slightly less crowded). Grew up on Canvey, so would be cost effective, but dont think i could bear the traffic on and off every day! But open minded, thd area has changed since i lived there, hence wanting to speak to a couple of experts. It just needs to be the right property at the right price!

South Benfleet properties have easy access to London priced in. Also the high street is awful and there are few decent places to eat/drink.

That said loads of easy access to woodland and open space.

One thing I will add about Benfleet at the moment, is that the Council have their "Local Plan" which is causing a lot of unrest as it involves developing about 59 sites, including some very large ones at Jotmans, Daws Heath, The Chase and Glebelands. There will be practically no green belt left other than the ancient woodlands and national parks.

The former leader of CPBC has been forced to resign amongst rumours of backhanders, and there are rumours that the Government may be stepping in to overhaul the corruption which has been going on for years with a variety of alleged backhanders for councillors. So, just do your research and read searches thoroughly. https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/lo...rt-castle-point-leader-norman-smith-released/

One thing I will add about Benfleet at the moment, is that the Council have their "Local Plan" which is causing a lot of unrest as it involves developing about 59 sites, including some very large ones at Jotmans, Daws Heath, The Chase and Glebelands. There will be practically no green belt left other than the ancient woodlands and national parks.

The former leader of CPBC has been forced to resign amongst rumours of backhanders, and there are rumours that the Government may be stepping in to overhaul the corruption which has been going on for years with a variety of alleged backhanders for councillors. So, just do your research and read searches thoroughly. https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/lo...rt-castle-point-leader-norman-smith-released/

Be no great surprise if the same happens at RDC and someone gets their collar felt.

I have often walked around Benfleet and thought it must be handy to have a few councillors as mates.

Some of the extensions on Benfleet Road and St Marys Road are bigger than the original property.

Hi all,

Putting to one side questions of whether there's even such a thing as a reliable estate agent the important thing to remember is that the estate agent works for the seller and not the buyer. Base your decision on who to speak to on who has the properties you are interested in.

Speak to Simon at @First4mortgages to work out what you can afford and so you can say you have finance sorted. Estate agents will take you more seriously if you tell them you have financing already lined up

Thats a pretty large area. I'm sure you'll be looking at 1/2 million quid easily so there will be some nice sized properties to look at. There are plenty of decent sized properties knocking about in your budget which come and go so sure you'll find something PDQ.

Tell them your a cash buyer, shake their hand with a rub of their 3rd knuckle and say you'll pay up to 5 bags of sand for the right deal.......Then they won't be working for the seller they will be working for you

Last edited:
I have often walked around Benfleet and thought it must be handy to have a few councillors as mates.

Some of the extensions on Benfleet Road and St Marys Road are bigger than the original property.
Of course, half of the properties on Benfleet Road are owned by builders or developers!

Putting to one side questions of whether there's even such a thing as a reliable estate agent the important thing to remember is that the estate agent works for the seller and not the buyer. Base your decision on who to speak to on who has the properties you are interested in.

Speak to Simon at @First4mortgages to work out what you can afford and so you can say you have finance sorted. Estate agents will take you more seriously if you tell them you have financing already lined up

Thank you - I think finances are ok, Nigel from Mortgage Advice Bureau has helped to future proof the mortgage, which is portable and we have equity and some flexibility.

Thank you all!
I have been in contact with OBL (thank you for your help and advice) and I have had a quick chat with Bear as well.

It seems that the bigger challenge is knowing what is happening in the murky world of councillors, property developers and planning! So its very useful to know about the possibility of open places like Jotmans being built on, as that is one area of interest. Sounds like i need to start researching the local plans in CP, Rayleigh, Southend and Rochford! That will keep me busy for a while...

I will keep you posted. I hope to be moved later this year, but not necessarily in time for us to become the newest members of the national league...!!

Back