• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ethan Hamilton Signs on Season Long Loan from Manchester United

See he played against us in our 1-0 defeat at Rochdale in April. I can not say I noticed him that day but was a bit hyped up. Maybe our impressive away support that day may have impress him a little if not us get a result.

When you get the chance to call out your plastic Manchester United ‘supporting’ colleagues.

Me: Southend United just signed a Man Utd player on loan for the season. Obviously, as a proper fan you’ll be able to give me the lowdown on the wider squad outside of those on the telly!!

Him: Wow. Who?

Me: Ethan Hamilton.

Him: Ahhhhh Hammy....

(30 seconds pass)

Him: Hamilton began his career with Edinburgh-based club Vale,[4] the same club that Darren Fletcher (who also later played for Manchester United) also began his career at.[5]

Hamilton played several matches for Manchester United's under-18s team during the 2014–15 season, before signing for the club as an academy scholar in July 2015, when he was 16 years old.[5] Hamilton was a regular for the Manchester United Under-18s in the first half of the 2015–16 season, but did not play at all in the second half of the season.[5] He returned to the team for the 2016–17 season, when, despite not finding the back of the net until December, he finished as the team's third-highest goalscorer, with 8 goals in 23 appearances; he also played eight times for the club's reserve team that season, before making the regular step up for the 2017–18 season.[5] He made 22 appearances for the reserves that season, his performances earning him a call-up to the first team in February 2018, after Paul Pogba was ruled out of the club's FA Cup fifth round tie against Huddersfield Town;[6] Hamilton was assigned the number 48 shirt and named as a substitute, but did not play in the game.[7] At the end of the season, Hamilton was nominated alongside Demetri Mitchell and Kieran O'Hara for the Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year award, given to Manchester United's best reserve team player of the season; the award was ultimately won by Mitchell.[8]

Ahead of the 2018–19 season, Hamilton signed his first professional contract with Manchester United,[9] before being named as part of the squad for the club's pre-season tour of the United States.[10] He made one appearance on the tour, coming on as an 89th-minute substitute for Juan Mata in a game against Milan on 26 July. The match finished 1–1 after 90 minutes and went straight to penalties; with the score at 6–6 after nine kicks each, Hamilton saw his penalty saved by Pepe Reina, only for José Mauri to also miss. United went on to win the shoot-out 9–8 after 13 kicks each.[11] Hamilton made 14 appearances for the Manchester United reserves in the first half of the 2018–19 season, before moving on loan to Rochdale in January 2019.[12]

For the 2019–20 season, Hamilton joined League One club Southend United on loan.

Right, I don’t care who wants to **** on my enthusiasm, the thought of Milligan and this fella as a pair in our midfield makes me as damp as it comes.

If he had stayed fit for longer (with all of his clubs) I doubt he would have ever signed for Southend.

I agree, it’s a shame because there were flashes from him but unfortunately he just couldn’t stay fit. I was gutted when we didn’t renew his contract but understood why we didn’t. Same reasons as to why I’d be amazed if we extended Hyam’s contract.

Phil Chisnall - dont get me started. Eddie Firmani Chico Hamilton Peter Taylor John McGinven Those were the days!

This signing quite excites me, we have really been missing this kind of midfield engine since Lenny left. Great bit of business!

Right, I don’t care who wants to **** on my enthusiasm, the thought of Milligan and this fella as a pair in our midfield makes me as damp as it comes.

Good, because that's a highlights reel. Imagine what didn't make the final cut if that is his best play?

Good, because that's a highlights reel. Imagine what didn't make the final cut if that is his best play?

Fair point. But can you imagine a highlights reel from McLaughlin over the past two seasons? It would be a lot shorter, possibly nil seconds long. So, I’ll take someone who can at least provide some highlights over someone who can’t, whatever the position.

Yep, you don't like loanees. We've got it! :-)

Aside from the strange editing decision to show unsuccessful shots on a highlights reel... name ONE player from our team last season who'd have produced a highlights real even a fraction as good as that. PLENTY to be excited about in there - tackles, passes, tricks, goals.

Back