• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ethernet network/wi-fi help

Pubey

Hi y'all,

I'm moving into a new flat and as is the vogue with big developments broadband is provided centrally (saves you having to faff around with a BT line and long contracts).

The broadband is provided through an ethernet network and a sole CAT5 socket in the flat. However for me just having one computer connected to the net is pretty pointless. Both me and Mrs Pubey have both home computers and work computers, and I have a PS3.

So ideal would be to set up some kind of wireless setup. A bit of digging suggests that it's possible to set up a wireless access point using a router with ethernet capabilities.

Firstly is this true? secondly what router should I be looking at?

Thirdly, there are three different prices I can go for:

Package Name Price per month Download Speed Upload Speed
25 Meg £50.00 25 Mbit/s 25 Mbit/s
10 Meg £25.00 10 Mbit/s 10 Mbit/s
4 Meg £15.00 4 Mbit/s 4 Mbit/s

Does the 10Meg option look alright? I'll be playing some PS3 online, streaming a bit and downloading a bit. Likely we'll be using a couple of computers at the same time if work too. Plus they have a online internet calling option which looks pretty decent

company are www.ask4.com if it helps

Any help greened.

peace xx

Hi y'all,

I'm moving into a new flat and as is the vogue with big developments broadband is provided centrally (saves you having to faff around with a BT line and long contracts).

The broadband is provided through an ethernet network and a sole CAT5 socket in the flat. However for me just having one computer connected to the net is pretty pointless. Both me and Mrs Pubey have both home computers and work computers, and I have a PS3.

So ideal would be to set up some kind of wireless setup. A bit of digging suggests that it's possible to set up a wireless access point using a router with ethernet capabilities.

Firstly is this true? secondly what router should I be looking at?

Thirdly, there are three different prices I can go for:

Package Name Price per month Download Speed Upload Speed
25 Meg £50.00 25 Mbit/s 25 Mbit/s
10 Meg £25.00 10 Mbit/s 10 Mbit/s
4 Meg £15.00 4 Mbit/s 4 Mbit/s

Does the 10Meg option look alright? I'll be playing some PS3 online, streaming a bit and downloading a bit. Likely we'll be using a couple of computers at the same time if work too. Plus they have a online internet calling option which looks pretty decent

company are www.ask4.com if it helps

Any help greened.

peace xx

Your connection is going to be monitored allot then :(

Any decent wireless router will do the trick. Make sure you go for one that has at least a 54db rating, higher if possible. Just plug the Ethernet cable running from the socket to the router. One of your PC's will have to act as the network hub and be the access point. Load the software that comes with the router on to this one and do a search for available networks. Your routers make and model number should appear in a list that pops up after the search. Click 'connect' on your routers make and model and it will ask for the network key. This would have been provided in the accompanying paperwork although you should be able to change this via the software package supplied. Once the one PC is hooked up you can do the 'search for available networks' on the other PC's in the house.

Once you've done this check each PC's connection properties. Right click on the little TV in the bottom right of your screen. > 'View Available Networks' and select the one your connected to. On the left of that panel click 'Change Advanced Settings' and a new box will pop up. Click on the middle tab 'Wireless Networks' and select the one your connected to. Click 'Properties' and this will show you the Authentication type, the data encryption type and your network key. Typically the first two should be WPA-PSK and AES respectively. Click the far right 'Connection' tab and make sure 'Connect when this network is in range' is ticked.

That should be about it as far as the wireless network is concerned and only needs to be set up once on each PC.

If it's before the modem you will need a modem+router combo if it's after the modem you'll just need the router. and yeah you can stick your ps3 into a router which has wireless provided the connection is available on the back of the router.

and when your PS3 is connected join the fifa 10 league.

If it's before the modem you will need a modem+router combo if it's after the modem you'll just need the router. and yeah you can stick your ps3 into a router which has wireless provided the connection is available on the back of the router.

and when your PS3 is connected join the fifa 10 league.

As it's a new build and the broadband is supplied centrally it will almost certainly be after the modem...................I think!

As it's a new build and the broadband is supplied centrally it will almost certainly be after the modem...................I think!

I would hope so too. The RJ45 connection suggests that's the case, but it's a question I would be raising.

Well, We get "unlimited" Broadband (Says unlimited, but it's actually capped at 80gb of usage per month) and our speed at the moment tops at about 7.5mb/s. On that speed, There are 1 computer, my laptop and 2 PS3's and it all runs pretty damn smoothly... So the 10mb shouldn't be a problem, just check if they run a fair usage policy.

Basically you can buy anything that says Cable Router from the usual suspects.

The reason for this is that Cable Co. provide a modem then from there present the internet on a single ethernet connection. So these devices only have ethernet connections 1 WAN (Internet) 4 LAN + Wifi (if you get the wifi version obviously)

My recommendation for a good spec Router is this baby or if you are looking to use a standard phone for VOIP then try this one

Last edited:
Any decent wireless router will do the trick. Make sure you go for one that has at least a 54db rating, higher if possible. Just plug the Ethernet cable running from the socket to the router. One of your PC's will have to act as the network hub and be the access point. Load the software that comes with the router on to this one and do a search for available networks. Your routers make and model number should appear in a list that pops up after the search. Click 'connect' on your routers make and model and it will ask for the network key. This would have been provided in the accompanying paperwork although you should be able to change this via the software package supplied. Once the one PC is hooked up you can do the 'search for available networks' on the other PC's in the house.

Once you've done this check each PC's connection properties. Right click on the little TV in the bottom right of your screen. > 'View Available Networks' and select the one your connected to. On the left of that panel click 'Change Advanced Settings' and a new box will pop up. Click on the middle tab 'Wireless Networks' and select the one your connected to. Click 'Properties' and this will show you the Authentication type, the data encryption type and your network key. Typically the first two should be WPA-PSK and AES respectively. Click the far right 'Connection' tab and make sure 'Connect when this network is in range' is ticked.

That should be about it as far as the wireless network is concerned and only needs to be set up once on each PC.

Not sure what you mean by a PC having to be a hub ? You may need to use a pc to configure it initially but a router will run independant of any PC and your post could be construed to mean you need to have the PC turned on.

To be honest you rarely need to use the cd's they come with now.

Easiest way is to switch router on, plug a cat5 cable into it and access its web interface on http:\\192.168.1.1\admin, or whatever the admin url is.

Once in just activate the wireless, although these days most of them come already active.

The last router I installed just plugged in, and I got the WPA key off the back of the unit and was connected within 30 seconds with no manual configuration needed..

Not sure what you mean by a PC having to be a hub ? You may need to use a pc to configure it initially but a router will run independant of any PC and your post could be construed to mean you need to have the PC turned on.

To be honest you rarely need to use the cd's they come with now.

Easiest way is to switch router on, plug a cat5 cable into it and access its web interface on http:\\192.168.1.1\admin, or whatever the admin url is.

Once in just activate the wireless, although these days most of them come already active.

The last router I installed just plugged in, and I got the WPA key off the back of the unit and was connected within 30 seconds with no manual configuration needed..
Sweet. Cheers Mr Jam

Basically you can buy anything that says Cable Router from the usual suspects.

The reason for this is that Cable Co. provide a modem then from there present the internet on a single ethernet connection. So these devices only have ethernet connections 1 WAN (Internet) 4 LAN + Wifi (if you get the wifi version obviously)

My recommendation for a good spec Router is this baby or if you are looking to use a standard phone for VOIP then try this one

Thanks Andee,

I'd say those recommendations are a bit out of my price range. I just want a decent Wireless Access Point that will do the job. Happy to spend £40-50.

Cheers,
Jon

Back