• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are you in favour of Britain's membership of the EU?

• In.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Out.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Bart.No opion.It depends etc

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Let's face it, Britain's membership of the EU is going to be an issue for the next year (or so) at least.

So are you in favour of Britain's continued membership of the EU or not?

Let's face it, Britain's membership of the EU is going to be an issue for the next year (or so) at least.

So are you in favour of Britain's continued membership of the EU or not?

Not quite such a straightforward question. I would prefer this to be asked after re-negotiations about treaty in which I personally feel will be made as other countries are not totally happy about it in its current form.

Europe has mass unemployment whilst the population grows daily !

Calais now has it's own mini town full of boat people who have crossed many countries and still dream of getting into Britain.

Out out out,the EU experiment has failed monetary and humanity.

I veer towards the "out" side of things, but a re-negotiated membership might persuade me otherwise. I am fed up with constant interference in our justice system.

It seems to me that many UK businesses (including banks), large and small, have been critical of any withdrawal from the EU. I probably need to pay far more attention to why than I have so far so I can understand what their main criticisms are. But if they are voicing their opinions publically, then they must be concerned at the prospect of withdrawal.

I don't know whether I'm imagining it, but whenever Dave attends EU events or makes sweeping statements about terms, it looks as if no one is listening of the big players there, so I worry if he thinks he can get different terms than those we currently have. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we should be shafted just to remain members, but after all this time of membership I would rather be inside the tent ****ing out....................

It seems to me that many UK businesses (including banks), large and small, have been critical of any withdrawal from the EU. I probably need to pay far more attention to why than I have so far so I can understand what their main criticisms are. But if they are voicing their opinions publically, then they must be concerned at the prospect of withdrawal.

I don't know whether I'm imagining it, but whenever Dave attends EU events or makes sweeping statements about terms, it looks as if no one is listening of the big players there, so I worry if he thinks he can get different terms than those we currently have. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we should be shafted just to remain members, but after all this time of membership I would rather be inside the tent ****ing out....................

The EU suits and bandits will gush propaganda to the masses,look at Greece who will pay their payment but are looking to borrow even more,it's stark raving madness.

Greece are all in but will fold their hand sooner or later,then the EU will be finished in its current guise.

Oh I know, had enough of it when he was Education! Worst appointment of the lot for me.

As opposed to IDS keeping his job despite the Universal Credit shambles, the equalities minister who's anti-same sex marriage, the DEFRA minister who's obsessed with cheese, the disabilities minister who voted against increasing disability benefit in line with inflation over extended periods of time or the new culture secretary who described the BBC Licence Fee as "worse than poll tax".

But yeah, apart from that, appointing a secretary for justice who 17 years ago wrote in favour of bringing back hanging is definitely the worst appointment of the lot.

Last edited:
As opposed to IDS keeping his job despite the Universal Credit shambles, the equalities minister who's anti-same sex marriage, the DEFRA minister who's obsessed with cheese, the disabilities minister who voted against increasing disability benefit in line with inflation over extended periods of time or the new culture secretary who described the BBC Licence Fee as "worse than poll tax".

But yeah, apart from that, appointing a secretary for justice who 17 years ago wrote in favour of bringing back hanging is definitely the worst appointment of the lot.

It doesn't help that he looks and sounds like an annoying creation by Harry Enfield though. Not that I'm judgemental you understand.

As good a place as any to post this.

Screen+Shot+2013-01-28+at+16.22.19.png

I, like most of the people who will vote on this, have absolutely no idea what leaving the EU will do to this country, be it positively or negatively.

So I abstain.

Firmly believe that we should stay in the EU. Yes changes are needed to the EU but they will happen over time, it's not just the UK that has eurosceptic views but the UK has the most extreme, mostly owing to the influence of the media and our history.

As mentioned above, if we were to leave the EU, a vast majority of big businesses based here would leave and relocate inside Europe, causing massive unemployment at a time when unemployment is seemingly beginning to gradually fall and an economic recovery is just starting. Trade with EU countries is massive, yes we have the Commonwealth and the U.S. but our trade with the EU is worth far more than both of those, so to add the common external tariff onto all that trade would be foolish.

I don't buy into the whole immigration side of things, immigrants in this country contribute more than they cost us, and there are just as many UK nationals living abroad in places like the Costa Del Sol who have benefitted from the free movement of people just as immigrants in this country have. Try being a country in Southern Europe where thousands of Africans are risking their lives on boats to get into Europe and using Spain/Italy/Greece as a gateway to do that, yet they're left without EU support to prevent it.

When it comes to the justice system the EU has a much less powerful influence than the media would have you believe, although they do make some strange decisions and have strange policies I'm sure this will be one of the first areas that will be looked at for changes in the future.

We've avoided the Euro which would have been a disaster as the Eurozone is pretty much a mess since the financial crisis, but leaving the EU would be a disaster for our economy in my eyes. Putting it into the public's hands is pretty dangerous itself as it leaves it open to the influence of the likes of the Daily Mail and UKIP who will exaggerate and manipulate the figures as much as possible. Some people have pointed to the likes of Norway as an example of an agreement we could have, but Norway only stayed out to protect their oil reserves, something which we don't have in the same quantities and are safeguarded anyway. Whether Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland would come with us if England votes to leave and the rest don't will be interesting, but there is a general lack of trust on the continent towards us because of this referendum. Nobody wants us to leave, just as (bar Farage) no political party here wants us to leave.

I have always been in favour of closer ties with Europe, its far from perfect and it is constantly evolving but you have to be in it, to have influence. A lot of negative press about Europe but if it wasn't for the employment laws this country has signed up to, the average working person would probably be much worse off. Many businesses need Europe for ease of trading and the hoops they would have to jump through, if we were to withdraw, would make things far more difficult. To try and break into other world markets would mean having to drive costs down even further which would mean the continuing demise of wages, for certain sectors.There are certain myths associated with the EU and its time an open and honest debate lay those to rest. Every club has a price for membership but if the benefits to society are positive then its a price worth paying.

I have always been in favour of closer ties with Europe, its far from perfect and it is constantly evolving but you have to be in it, to have influence. A lot of negative press about Europe but if it wasn't for the employment laws this country has signed up to, the average working person would probably be much worse off. Many businesses need Europe for ease of trading and the hoops they would have to jump through, if we were to withdraw, would make things far more difficult. To try and break into other world markets would mean having to drive costs down even further which would mean the continuing demise of wages, for certain sectors.There are certain myths associated with the EU and its time an open and honest debate lay those to rest. Every club has a price for membership but if the benefits to society are positive then its a price worth paying.

A superb post

Europe is a fantastic scapegoat for all of our problems. We'll have to think of another one when we leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back