• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EURO 2021 FINAL - Italy v England. Sunday 11th July 2021 20:00.

So how will we do against the Italians?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Ok, after weeks of pre-match Euro threads lurking in the General Football Forum we think this game is just important enough to take a bow on Chit-Chat.

It's an absolute pleasure to post a pre-match thread about England in a Euro final (I have to pinch myself when typing this), I'm sure there are still mature posters on here like me who can remember last time we made a final but its great to watch another one. So, normal stuff for pre-match and then it becomes the official match thread when it kicks off.

England 2021.jpg

I think it's a really tough one to call.
Putting aside all 'Football's Coming Home' and 'Sweet Caroline' euphoria for a minute ( tough I know ) , England will be playing a really good side on Sunday - unbeaten in more than 30 games I think ?
I think England have performed really well in this tournament and clearly have a great 'group mentality' which is a huge plus point.
So is home advantage IMO.
So as I reflect on what's to come and try to be as unbiased as I can , I think England have a big chance here 'IF' everyone is on their 'A game' and they get the little bits of fortune that are decisive in any match.
I would say that unless anyone took a knock , maybe 9 or even 10 of the team are assured and it will be a choice between Saka , Foden and Sancho.
The other position that may be up for debate is Mount or Grealish , but I think Southgate will start with Mount.
It will be a tense occasion and just hope we have enough in our side to win it because I think Southgate deserves this for the way he has built this squad.

I'd love us to win, I really would but I just think Italy have a bit more in the tank.

Whilst people will go on about home advantage I think that could count against us. A lot of the players are Champions league winners, FA Cup winners etc, but these finals are usually played at neutral venues with a mix of 50:50 supporters. The fact that the final is being played at Wembley and it may well be 80 or 90% England support could count against us.

Having said that i'm in a win win situation. If England win i'll be jumping up and down like a loon, if Italy win, i've won the sweepstake in work

50/50 for me. Italy better on paper but we have the discipline and tools to win.

Will enjoy it either way, just nice to see a final in my lifetime

Southgate will no doubt follow your sage advice.
I think he will ?

Winning the ball back quickly when we’ve given it away has been critical and Phillips in particular has been sensational in that respect.

FWIW, I happen to think Italy are the better side.That doesn't necessily mean they'll win though.I'd agree with dannypav that's it a tough one to call.
I happen to think England are the better side. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win though.
It's gonna be tight and maybe come down to a mistake, a bit of skill or a bit of luck.

I'm just so happy we are in a final...

Italy are a good side no doubt but I think their group stage performances have overhyped them a bit. Spain had plenty of chances to win in extra time which they weren't able to take, if we can be a bit more clinical than they were then we can beat them.

I think if we win the battle in midfield and run at them with pace we’ve got a real chance. Prime Harry Kane and Saka/Sterling/Grealish or whoever will tie Chiellini and Bonucci in knots if we play a high pressing game. Mount, Phillips and Rice have got the ability to keep the likes of Jorginho, Barella and Chiesa quiet. I think we should be confident, be bold .. look I’m still shell shocked we’re in the final!! Why not win it?? The Italians won’t be relishing it ..

What a day this Sunday is going to be with 2 major international cup finals.

2am, Brazil v Argentina in the Copa America final (my son is half Brazilian).

Then, his 'other half' plays Italy.

I've waiting all my 50 years to see my team in a major final and, at 14, my son has his 2 in a final on the same day!!! How unfair is that?

From a Malta perspective, this Euro final is going to be 'interesting'. I'd say the island is split around 40% England and 40% Italy, with the remainder following the likes of Germany, Brazilian, Netherlands etc.

Friends and families are going to be split. One thing is for sure, there will definitely be carcades come Sunday night.

As for the game, it's going to be a tough, close encounter.

Italy have changed their usual approach in the main, with more attacking flair while displaying a solid defence, but their semi final showed that, if need be, they can revert to type still, giving them an extra dimension.

England, however, have shown solidity at the back, great ball retention and a dangerous attack down the flanks. I cannot wait.

I think if we win the battle in midfield and run at them with pace we’ve got a real chance. Prime Harry Kane and Saka/Sterling/Grealish or whoever will tie Chiellini and Bonucci in knots if we play a high pressing game. Mount, Phillips and Rice have got the ability to keep the likes of Jorginho, Barella and Chiesa quiet. I think we should be confident, be bold .. look I’m still shell shocked we’re in the final!! Why not win it?? The Italians won’t be relishing it ..

Good luck with that.

Back