• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EURO 2021 FINAL - Italy v England. Sunday 11th July 2021 20:00.

So how will we do against the Italians?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My earliest memory of supporting England was the Hand of God in '86 and it's been a rollercoaster ride of anguish and disappointment ever since then, but it makes a nice distraction from following Southend and the only time I get to cheer on Premiership players.

Getting thrashed by Germany in 2010, we knew the next few years were likely to be miserable as some big names were retiring and the well was looking empty for the future. Little did we know Big Sam inadvertently did us all a favour by drinking that big pint of wine, Gareth got a lot of mileage out of that 2018 squad with expectations low, still relying on the likes of Ashley Young, Fabian Delph and Eric Dier.

I find this current squad more likeable than any squad in years, no John Terry, No Lampard-Gerrard conundrum, No Rooney, No Wags sideshow!, No Liverpool-Man Utd cliques. Southgate has a system that he sticks to rather than trying to shoehorn in too many players and egos all at once.

He's now been able to blood in some exciting young players for this campaign who should have a bit more experience for Qatar next November. I also like how he's made England more like a "club" and made it a bit more open on access. I think Southgate is one of those breed of coaches who is better off as a National coach than as a day to day club manager. I would say let Gareth have a run at Qatar because I can't see another British coach that would be interested unless Brendan Rodgers could be tempted?

Roll on Hungary, at what will surely be a raucous Puskas arena in September!
Nice post Kenny.

Was thinking of going to Hungary away...was there and was attacked(like most England fans that night) that GREAT night 1981...our 3-1 win at then it was called i think the NEP stadion.
But do you know?? England luck if so,my bad luck maybe,but Hungarys next three home game are without fans. Does that include the England game??
If so,maybe Poland away again,been three times before,won two and rained off the third time

Ozzie that ban only applies to european qualifiers whilst we are playing them in a fifa qualifier so we are fine from that point. A number of us are all booked up for Budapest and Warsaw and so likely to come down to what restrictions, if any, the Hungarian and Polish governments place on fans travelling from England anyway fingers crossed.

I have now got the hattrick was there in Turin when we lost on penalties to Germany in the 1990 WC SF as well as the euros in 96 and again on Sunday. Also saw us lose at Notts County in the anglo Italian on pens but have seen England beat Spain, us beat Oxford and of course most memorably our win v Wycombe at Wembley. On the whole pens haven't been kind .....

Was thinking of going to Hungary away...was there and was attacked(like most England fans that night) that GREAT night 1981...our 3-1 win at then it was called i think the NEP stadion.
But do you know?? England luck if so,my bad luck maybe,but Hungarys next three home game are without fans. Does that include the England game??
If so,maybe Poland away again,been three times before,won two and rained off the third time
Was that the Brooking in the top stanchion night Ozzie ?!?

Thats right WB....
Was at the game a week before v Switzerland,we lost.Its where the England idiots caused massive trouble in the ground.It was 100% England "fans"fault.
But trouble started on the thursday night,when an England fan got stabbed by an Italian.
Then it snowballed,fans went there and turned the restaurant over.Later Italians turned up mob handed and attacked English fans and so it went on and got bigger.
Basel is Swiss,but has three areas..German,French and Italian...or so i was told.
So unknown to me and i think most England fans,we supposed to be have warned be careful in Budapest...their idiots want to show England fans who is the hardest!!!
Must write,before and that evening they were great people,friendly.
But after half time!!!! As ive written before,ive have seen many "iffy" things as a Southend and England fan.But the two places that i was worried most was that night in Budapest and one night in Liverpool,our cup replay 1979

But the two places that i was worried most was that night in Budapest and one night in Liverpool,our cup replay 1979
Yes I remember a guy getting back on to the coach after the Liverpool game and his nose was flattened to his face where he had been punched - blood everywhere.

I was a school kid at the time and got flattened by a police horse on my way back to the coach.

I remember thinking if this is what happens when a lower league side loses 3-0 then what must it be like when Man Utd or Leeds play there - terrifying.

Sadly with the abuse dished out to players after the final it seems that we haven't moved on much (if at all) we have just found a different way to spout hate and bile :0(

England have been in the wilderness for the last twenty years or so. When we lost to Iceland in euro 16 and then tell me we would have a semi final in the world cup and final in the euro I wouldn't believe you. We've come a long way since those bad days. Italy were good, but we held or own against them. It came down to penalties which could have gone either way.
Agree we have been punching below our weight since early 70's with only fleeting and isolated moments of hope. What Southgate has achieved is more than the actual results, it is the way he has approached and gone about things. his standing is very much at a high level. Now, and I'm sure he'll be the first to admit and reflect on this over coming days and weeks, we could have done things differently both in 2nd half and extra time (and penalties) that would have changed the outcome. That will grate with him and drive him forward to Qatar. Talking of Qatar, qualification is not a given, only the winners from each of the 10 groups automatically go through, 10 runners up plus 2 best placed Nations league teams (not in top 2) will fight it out for 3 further places.

Back to the game, I just wished we had started with a more attacking line up, and went toe to toe with them as the Spanish had done. We played right into their hands, and our strikers were on the half way line and hardly had a chance. All that attacking talent on the bench. Then to add insult, we bring on Henderson who immediately passes backwards and sideways as usual. The best team on the night won the trophy, but we helped them big time.

My earliest memory of supporting England was the Hand of God in '86 and it's been a rollercoaster ride of anguish and disappointment ever since then, but it makes a nice distraction from following Southend and the only time I get to cheer on Premiership players.

Getting thrashed by Germany in 2010, we knew the next few years were likely to be miserable as some big names were retiring and the well was looking empty for the future. Little did we know Big Sam inadvertently did us all a favour by drinking that big pint of wine, Gareth got a lot of mileage out of that 2018 squad with expectations low, still relying on the likes of Ashley Young, Fabian Delph and Eric Dier.

I find this current squad more likeable than any squad in years, no John Terry, No Lampard-Gerrard conundrum, No Rooney, No Wags sideshow!, No Liverpool-Man Utd cliques. Southgate has a system that he sticks to rather than trying to shoehorn in too many players and egos all at once.

He's now been able to blood in some exciting young players for this campaign who should have a bit more experience for Qatar next November. I also like how he's made England more like a "club" and made it a bit more open on access. I think Southgate is one of those breed of coaches who is better off as a National coach than as a day to day club manager. I would say let Gareth have a run at Qatar because I can't see another British coach that would be interested unless Brendan Rodgers could be tempted?

Roll on Hungary, at what will surely be a raucous Puskas arena in September!
My darkest day as an England supporter was at the hands (literally) of that cheat in 1986. I thought we had the best team in the world at that time and we would have gone on to win the world cup.

Sunday was absolutely gutting, we were beaten by the best team in the competition and I doubt I will ever see another opportunity like that, easy (ish) route to the final and at home.

Still feeling very down today ?

Agree we have been punching below our weight since early 70's with only fleeting and isolated moments of hope. What Southgate has achieved is more than the actual results, it is the way he has approached and gone about things. his standing is very much at a high level. Now, and I'm sure he'll be the first to admit and reflect on this over coming days and weeks, we could have done things differently both in 2nd half and extra time (and penalties) that would have changed the outcome. That will grate with him and drive him forward to Qatar. Talking of Qatar, qualification is not a given, only the winners from each of the 10 groups automatically go through, 10 runners up plus 2 best placed Nations league teams (not in top 2) will fight it out for 3 further places.

Italy looked good, but they struggled to break us down. Their goal only came about from constant spell of pressure and some fortuitous deflection with a 1 yard tap in. Not some act of sheer brilliance. There really wasnt much between us, especially in extra time the Italians legs had gone. It came down to penalties which never end well for us!

Back to the game, I just wished we had started with a more attacking line up, and went toe to toe with them as the Spanish had done. We played right into their hands, and our strikers were on the half way line and hardly had a chance.
Exactly this. I don't think any of our "attacking" players had a single shot at goal during the entire 120 minutes

We'll never get an easier route to a final, felt like an opportunity missed. Surely Jack, Rashford and Sancho shouldve come on earlier. Mancini adjusted his tactics, Southgate seemed to be happy to sit and defend. I mean overall weve done great with many players rising to the occasion but in the end the Italians ability to keep the ball was key.

Sounds daft, but I thought we scored too early. Then you're invited to stick or twist. We had a go for 15 minutes or so after we went 1-0 up, Italy re-jigged and the pattern of play shifted so we decided to sit back. Tough to take the final outcome, dictated by the finest of margins when the stakes and the pressure is so high, but on the basis of the 120 minutes, the best team on the night (and in the tournament as a whole) won.

The disappointment I'm still feeling today is because I so badly wanted the players to win for themselves. There's such chemistry in this group. So many mature heads on young shoulders. So many players using their platforms to make things better outside of football. I feel far more connected to this group than I have done with any of the squads of the past. I'm not sure if it's the increased access or the fact that social media allows us to be a fly on the wall, but it even got me feeling positive about a West Ham player. Lifting the trophy would've been a fitting reward in my opinion, but it wasn't to be.

Even worse is the disgusting abuse that these lads have been given post-match and the scenes from the stadium. Both sadly far too predictable, but doesn't make it any less disappointing. Having some positivity the the newsfeeds amidst COVID, lockdowns, job-losses and a generally fractured populous was such a welcome break over the last few weeks...

. There really wasnt much between us, especially in extra time the Italians legs had gone.
Yes exactly this but for whatever reason, Ferdinand suggest that he froze, Southgate was too cautious to through on Rashford and Sancho to try and exploit that - I wonder if he regrets that (lack of) decision with hindsight.

Hopefully lessons learned for the next tournament.

Fortune favours the brave.

We will be better in two years time!! (maybe)
We will learn from this!!! (maybe)
But where have i heard this before...
Oh yes,the goldern/plastic generation.Every two years,next time we will be better....or as that England song from 82??..this time we will get it right ! YEH
The first time something like that was said,i think, was May1972.
I came back from the Gillingham (white coat) game on the Leigh Comm coach,getting off at the ELMS.Then going to my nans to watch the game in the evening in Elm Road.
That night West Germany hammered England 3-1at Wembley..i think it was a Euro qualifying game.
Im sure im right,could be wrong,but its the first time i can remember it being talked about.
We will get better!!

Last edited:
We will be better in two years time!! (maybe)
We will learn from this!!! (maybe)
But where have i heard this before...
Oh yes,the goldern/plastic generation.Every two years,next time we will be better....or as that England song from 82??..this time we will get it right ! YEH
The first time something like that was said,i think, was May1972.
I came back from the Gillingham (white coat) game on the Leigh Comm coach,getting off at the ELMS.Then going to my nans to watch the game in the evening in Elm Road.
That night West Germany hammered England 3-1at Wembley..i think it was a Euro qualifying game.
Im sure im right,could be wrong,but its the first time i can remember it being talked about.
We will get better!!
We have got better.

Like before,only against poor -average teams.
Against good -"goodish " teams we are still the same
I've had a long think on this post @ozzie, and on reflection, whilst all opinions are welcome, in light of our progress during the last World Cup and now Euro 2021, I think your view on this is total bollocks.:Thumbs up:

Back