• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro Under-21 Championship

cerbera45

Coach⭐
England lose 1-0 to Switzerland in first Group D fixture, line-up:-

• Ramsdale
  • Godfrey
  • Guehi
  • Kelly
  • Aarons
  • Davies
  • Skipp
  • McNeil
  • Hudson-Odoi
  • Nketiah
  • Smith Rowe

That was the worst England performance ive seen,any leval,since Adi HOOFroyds last U-21s finals..2/3 years ago
Im still in shock.
All the games are on FREE German tv and they are rather surprised that the English press/fans think that this team could win it.
Teams/players are not that bad....but his tactics ????

I can't help thinking that AB's time has passed, now time to move on. There are so many young(er) English coaches out there.

I think Eddie Howe would be a good fit, with a view to him becoming the next England manager.

I think Eddie Howe would be a good fit, with a view to him becoming the next England manager.
Very good manager, can’t believe he hasn’t got another club yet, I’d love him to get a chance at Spurs.

Frank Lampard ???? please NO
Another player/manager !! thats overrated.
Needs to start at the bottom and work his way up.
Thinks the results have been good for us today,win both games..we have a chance
Dont hold your breath !!!

I thought Englands u-21 team could not get any worse after that Swiss game.
But i was wrong again !!!!
I still remember Howard"long ball"Wilkinson sacking Spud Taylor and taking over Englands u-21. He mesed things up and went quite quick.I thought then,things cannot get much worse.
Then came later Southgate,with players like Kane,Dele Alli,etc.We were again one of the favourites...did not even get out of our group.Came bottom i think.
Now Boothroyds last two "efforts" two years ago and now.Can it get any worse??

Haven't seen any of the matches but saw a stat we haven't had a shot on target. Is that true? Not really sure how Aidy Boothroyd got the job to be honest. A lot of talent in that squad and they should be doing a lot better.

I think Frank Lampard could do a decent job
He'd probably help our attacking players develop (he certainly helped Mason Mount develop a lot quicker than Chelsea usually do with their kids), not convinced he'd do our defensive minded kids any favours though. Both his Chelsea and Derby sides had very poor defensive records considering where they were in the league.

So far, one shot on target in two games for England....hopeless

England lose 2-0 to Portugal in second Group D fixture, line-up:-

• Ramsdale
  • Godfrey
  • Guehi
  • Tanganga
  • S Sessegnon
  • Davies
  • Skipp
  • R Sessegnon
  • Madueke
  • Nketiah
  • Smith Rowe

Im sure its not just England who lose u-21 players to the senior team.Happens everywhere i would think.
Is just England who ALWAYS looks for excuses for their non-stop failures.
Until we change English football,restructure of the F.ALL FA,get more people who know things about football there and who are willing to take the Prem league on,cannot see anything changing.
People say its about the u-21 providing players for the senior team,but its more than that.
If they are good enough,they will succeed getting there.
It must be also about getting a happy-winning squad-feeling.
Success breeds success....if a u-21 team normally does very well..wins/runnerup/sf-qf etc and they do that over a long period say 10-15 years,then i think the senior team will also do well..i could be wrong,but i believe so....the same being if a team consistenly flops -underperforms,the senior team does like wise. I hope im right !!!believe so
.Anyway,tonight we live in hope !!!we still might win the cup...Cumon England

The England U21 team is the "utterly impossible job" so says Aidy Boothroyd:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56583091
I don't think that's an unreasonable point of view, it will be difficult to develop a consistently winning team when the best players move up to the senior squad. I also think that Southgate has moved some players up to the seniors a little too quickly, but that seems to be a conscious decision by the England management team to get excellent players like Bellingham and Greenwood and Sako and Sancho the opportunity to train and play with the seniors.

Boothroyd is also correct, no one really cares if you win the U21 tournaments, but with the players he does have at his disposal he should be letting them go out and play creative and attacking football. England's senior problem continues to be a balance between being solid at the back and unlocking teams, and so we need our next generation youngsters to be encouraged to create overloads and setting up goals.

They may not care in England,but in Germany they do.
But Germany are winners.All German teams youth,u-21,senior etc are on German freetv.
Thats something,i believe,we should do back home.
Would not help me much though,i cannot get BBC,ITV,4,5 etc.
Games about to start,England will win by at least two... and i have not been drinking!!!But it has been very hot here today !!

if a u-21 team normally does very well..wins/runnerup/sf-qf etc and they do that over a long period say 10-15 years
There are very few teams that manage this, we won the 2017 u20s world cup but we became the 6th u20s world cup winner in a row to fail to qualify for the next one. The reality is most countries just treat these as glorified friendlies, if they didn't then they wouldn't be stopping the best kids from competing in them so that they can train with the first team instead.

Back