• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

European Athletics Championships

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
I've always enjoyed this event. Partly as it is usually a rich source of medals for Great Britain, but also as it provided some of my earliest sporting memories back in 1986 - Roger Black winning the 400m as a 20 year old, Coe leading a British 1-2-3 in the 800m and Brian Whittle's shoe coming off in the 4x400m relay.

Great to see Jo Pavey win gold last night in the 10,000m - not bad for a 40 year old mother of two who was still breastfeeding just four months ago!

Yep great to see Jo Pavey get gold last night, quite an achievement for a 40 yr old, especially following up her bronze at the commonwealths. :clap:

I've always enjoyed this event. Partly as it is usually a rich source of medals for Great Britain, but also as it provided some of my earliest sporting memories back in 1986 - Roger Black winning the 400m as a 20 year old, Coe leading a British 1-2-3 in the 800m and Brian Whittle's shoe coming off in the 4x400m relay.

Great to see Jo Pavey win gold last night in the 10,000m - not bad for a 40 year old mother of two who was still breastfeeding just four months ago!

great days,remember them well..the 1980 games at Russia, Coe V Ovett...Daley "god"T.

what's this controversy about Mo and the media that Brendan Foster keeps on mentioning?

what's this controversy about Mo and the media that Brendan Foster keeps on mentioning?

A feeling that people have got on Mo's back a bit since London. Doing loads of **** ads, running only half the London Marathon in 2013, then disappointing in this year's race.

Victim of his own amazing success really - he certainly celebrated is if to say 'I told you so'.

Delighted for Andrew Vernon and his silver.

Last edited:
A feeling that people have got on Mo's back a bit since London. Doing loads of **** ads, running only half the London Marathon in 2013, then disappointing in this year's race.

Victim of his own amazing success really - he certainly celebrated is if to say 'I told you so'.

Delighted for Andrew Vernin and his silver.

I think he's also a victim of his own versatility. After doing everything there's to do at 5 and 10k, it's not surprise he wanted to see what was possible at other distances. Athletes cashing in isn't anything new, and those Virgin ads weren't as annoying as the Jess Ennis/Jenson Button Santander ones!

Yeah I thought Vernon had burnt out but he did well to come through.

Last edited:
Big fan of Harry AA, good to see him delighted with his bronze.

Didn't realise Dasaolou was 26 though, thought he was a yoot!

Good to see Porter finally bag a gold. I thought she would have won the Commonwealth, as she'd been beating Pearson all season up until then, but finally shaken that now. Hopefully she can beat Pearson on the big stage at next years Worlds

Really looking forward to both our men and women's 4x100s

Harry AA has plateaued and so if he's that happy with bronze it doesn't seem like he's going to progress to sub10

Harry AA has plateaued and so if he's that happy with bronze it doesn't seem like he's going to progress to sub10

Yeah, nearly 26 now and if he is ever going to be world class he should be aiming higher than European bronze in a pretty ordinary time (poor conditions notwithstanding).

Still, three golds for Britain, a good day at the office!

Great to see British female sprinters qualifying with ease for once. Bianca and Jodie Williams both looked really comfortable there, a far cry from the days of good old Joice Maduaka puffing through as a fastest loser!

James Dasaolu wins Mens 100m Gold for GB, beating defending champion Lemaitre.

Indeed. However, his time was 10.06. Usain Bolt was in the crowd, probably trying to remember when it last took him that long!

Yeah, nearly 26 now and if he is ever going to be world class he should be aiming higher than European bronze in a pretty ordinary time (poor conditions notwithstanding).

Still, three golds for Britain, a good day at the office!

That depends on what his issue has been. If it's about talent and application then you're right. However, if it's been a mental thing about winning a medal then he's broken through that and hopefully will be in a better place next time.

Only time will tell.

Delighted for Andrew Vernin and his silver.

I liked his interview also. Came over as a very decent person.

Back