• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Events in Norway 22/7/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickledseal

cowboy
After yesterday's reports of the bomb in Oslo plus a shooting in Utoya, this mornings reports of around 80 dead (presumably mostly young people?) at the Young Labour camp are truly heartbreaking.

Despite initial thoughts that it was an Islamic terror group responsible, now thoughts are that it could be a far-right/neo-Nazi group.

I'm sure more news will filter out today, but all my thoughts and prayers go out to our brothers and sisters in Norway. Truly horrific.

Absolutely shocking. I went to bed with 20 dead which is terrible enough, but to wake up and hear that 80+ had died was staggering. The usual knee jerk reaction however doesn't surprise me at all.

91 confirmed dead at present, 7 at bombing site & 84 on the island from this insane shooter. Some harrowing eye witness accounts from the island about him being dressed as a police officer, although one survivor said he was dressed as a nazi.
Hope Norway finds the route out of all this back to some kind of normality..............

Really makes you wonder how one human being can perpetrate such horrific acts on others, was there any rationality behind it? Was he mentally unstable or just simply so single minded about his convictions that to him it was perfectly justified? Whatever happens, he's someone's son, someone's family and I fear that they will end up suffering for his actions. A lot of people to feel sorry for in all of this, though I don't much feel for the mayor (I think of Oslo) who's allegedly reported as saying he wished he were there to stand in front of the gunman and tell him to shoot him instead of the young people! What a crass remark.

To be fair, the mayor probably meant well, but given everything that has happened it does come across crass but essentially well intentioned. Emotional time for them all.

Norway Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg: "The answer to violence, is even more democracy. Even more humanity" Amazing words from a PM.

I'd heard about the bombing yesterday afternoon, but was out last night (not at Roots Hall) and missed all the reports of the shootings. I'm utterly shocked and horrified, I've worked with Norwegians for over 30 years and have a lot of friends made through work and have visited this beautiful country many times. Words at times just fail you.

Crazy to think someone could go such a thing, I hope he get's what he deserves. All the best to Norway.

I love how this board works....mass slaughter and devastation and the thing someone does is have a pop at Murdoch....classic

I think it's a totally valid criticism don't you? To throw blame around before any facts were evident is lazy journalism, something the red tops thrive on.

No not really. The discussion is about events in Norway, not the journalism that surrounds them.
I don't agree, I think it was fair comment to pour further scorn on papers using sensationalism and fabrication to help improve their sales, particularly when you are criticising the OP who had made his feelings regarding the tragic events quite clear in his first post....the snipe at The Sun came in a subsequent one.

I don't agree, I think it was fair comment to pour further scorn on papers using sensationalism and fabrication to help improve their sales, particularly when you are criticising the OP who had made his feelings regarding the tragic events quite clear in his first post....the snipe at The Sun came in a subsequent one.

Is there any real need though?

There are enough posts and threads on here about journalism, or lack of it.

Is there any real need though?

There are enough posts and threads on here about journalism, or lack of it.

I think the reporting of this is relevant. Notice that as he is white and Christian he is no longer a 'terrorist' but now a plain and simple 'madman'. I also wonder if the "He doesn't represent Christianity" people will now apply the same thinking to Islamic terrorists? BBC were just as bad with their initial reports, although in fairness a questionable obscure organisation did claim responsibility. I'd be hesitant in my reporting given the obvious pain and suffering being encountered in Norway. There were some Muslims speaking of their great relief that it wasn't Muslim terrorists, as society will be looking for someone to blame and to take their anger out on, quite naturally (remember all the attacks on mosques and random Muslims after July 7th and 9/11?).

Does Norway have the death penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back