• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Everton

czabby

In a wonderfully worded statement on the ESL nice to see Everton give us a name check......

“Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game’s history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game – including their own – by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.”

Have to say it was one of my favourite away days in the 90s when Big Nev saved them from a rampaging Ansah,benjy,et al and the respect the supporters showed us at the end both with a standing ovation and outside the ground still warms the heart

Last edited:
I still remember the day vividly. I took my son, who is an Everton fan (I know, poor parenting it seemed at the time but perhaps it has all worked out better for him). Anyway, it was a great day out and I still can't believe that Southall pulled off that

Would mean a bit more if they hadn't been one of the big 5 to break away and destroy English football in 1992.

Apparently that particular power grab for their own ends was acceptable and this isn't.

To be fair, that was probably a different ownership and leadership back in 1992? A bit unfair to hold the current incumbents accountable for decisions before their time.

Would mean a bit more if they hadn't been one of the big 5 to break away and destroy English football in 1992.

Apparently that particular power grab for their own ends was acceptable and this isn't.

I’m not sure how the inception of the premier league destroyed English football?

It changed it yes. As with any change it may not have benefitted everyone but in general, it really hasn’t destroyed English football.

Football as a product is better now than ever. The stadiums, the diversity, the jobs it creates off the field, the world wide interest, the charities it supports and funds, the vehicle it is for social issues such as racism, sexism, disability......

It may have made richer clubs richer, but at least the formation of the Prem wasn't that of a closed shop for a few of the elite. There is promotion and relegation. The way I understand it, the ESL will guarantee something 15 or 16 places out of 20 for the ultra privileged and then 4 or 5 other 'lucky' European clubs will be invited annually.

And as @Spaceman Spiff said, how can present owners be responsible for what others did nearly 30 years ago?

I’m not sure how the inception of the premier league destroyed English football?

It changed it yes. As with any change it may not have benefitted everyone but in general, it really hasn’t destroyed English football.

Football as a product is better now than ever. The stadiums, the diversity, the jobs it creates off the field, the world wide interest, the charities it supports and funds, the vehicle it is for social issues such as racism, sexism, disability......
It may well be the case that the creation of the Premier League has helped with improvements to stadia. I have no doubt that it has created more jobs. I'm sure it is more diverse, and there is more attention given to social issues.

However, it has somehow become less interesting, to me at least. My remaining interest in football is now just limited to Southend and lower league clubs in the area. Without Googling it, I wouldn't be able to tell you who the Premier League champions were for the last 3 seasons.

So, here is someone who once had an interest in our top flight football, but now couldn't care about it at all.

Club football in the Prem' is pointless anyway when they play teams of eleven different nationalities who have no affiliation to the club, let alone the country.

Club football in the Prem' is pointless anyway when they play teams of eleven different nationalities who have no affiliation to the club, let alone the country.

It's certainly a problem when you go down, as Fulham will presumably prove again this season, when they can't hang on to their best loan players who are only interested in playing in the Prem. :Cry:

Back