• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
Anyone saving or hitting financial difficulties or redundancy in these hard times will understand just how hard it is to balance your social, work and financial lives. 6 or 7 years ago my disposable income was pretty high and I had no real responsibilities money wise. I used to be a STH and there would be no question each season come highs or lows whether I would renew, it was a given - I would be there.

The last 2 seasons my SUFC supporting days have had to take a back seat as having to save to buy a property meant that certain "luxuries" (if you can call SUFC one :winking:) slid quite far down the scale.

I confess I havent been to the hall for a couple of seasons now. I admit with all the financial mess the club has been through and the removal of T & B, I fell slightly out of love with the club and the way it was being run. I always looked for their results and kept an eye on SZ etc but for me, it wasn't the same anymore. However, the club and negativity of past time seems to have faded and everyone seems more positive with a bit more success at the club etc. The introduction of Saturdays £5 ticket is excellent news as I can honestly say I wouldn't be going if it wasn't for the low price. I have a feeling it will ignite that passion I always had for SUFC and that I will more than likely try and get to a few more games this season.

Going from a pretty loyal STH, to a distant visitor to Roots Hall is something that I thought would never happen. It's made me realise that no matter how you are involved in the club, every fan is important. I almost looked down on the fair weather supporters that took my seat and got in the way and left early, and now thats me! The best thing about SUFC and football is that it is always there if you want to go back to it.

I hope to see a few familiar faces Saturday and looking forward to cheering on my team.

Anyone saving or hitting financial difficulties or redundancy in these hard times will understand just how hard it is to balance your social, work and financial lives. 6 or 7 years ago my disposable income was pretty high and I had no real responsibilities money wise. I used to be a STH and there would be no question each season come highs or lows whether I would renew, it was a given - I would be there.

The last 2 seasons my SUFC supporting days have had to take a back seat as having to save to buy a property meant that certain "luxuries" (if you can call SUFC one :winking:) slid quite far down the scale.

I confess I havent been to the hall for a couple of seasons now. I admit with all the financial mess the club has been through and the removal of T & B, I fell slightly out of love with the club and the way it was being run. I always looked for their results and kept an eye on SZ etc but for me, it wasn't the same anymore. However, the club and negativity of past time seems to have faded and everyone seems more positive with a bit more success at the club etc. The introduction of Saturdays £5 ticket is excellent news as I can honestly say I wouldn't be going if it wasn't for the low price. I have a feeling it will ignite that passion I always had for SUFC and that I will more than likely try and get to a few more games this season.

Going from a pretty loyal STH, to a distant visitor to Roots Hall is something that I thought would never happen. It's made me realise that no matter how you are involved in the club, every fan is important. I almost looked down on the fair weather supporters that took my seat and got in the way and left early, and now thats me! The best thing about SUFC and football is that it is always there if you want to go back to it.

I hope to see a few familiar faces Saturday and looking forward to cheering on my team.

So you're a glory hunter then - in fact a cheapskate glory hunter :smile:

Welcome back, I'm sure the passion will be re-ignited. Sod the new house, get a second hand caravan and renew yor ST :thumbsup:

Good post. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat......

Yeah I prefer the term "financially challenged" as opposed to cheapskate but its all the same really! Its coincidental that the blues are doing well as I return Saturday! Its purely the £5 ticket and my desire to get to a game without feeling like a bum bandit victim for the pleasure of it.

UTB!

I went thru those years of not being able to afford to go to watch because of the costs involved with bringing young kids up etc....very very much missed going, but did get to the odd game.

Hopefully I am over the work of the hard times and am now in my second season as a STH again along with my young son. Getting back to games makes up for the hard times and this season looks to be a very good one

Fully understand this post. I was made redundant for the first time in my life 15 months ago and only found new emoployment this March. There are many luxeries in life that we take for granted and one thing it taught me and my wife (with 2 kids as well) was actually if you really want to cut back you can. The one thing i couldnt bare the thought of mind you was not see my beloved SUFC. For that reason i requested money for both birthday and christmas so that if i didnt have all the money for my season ticket come April, i had most of it and thats what i did. To our horror my wife then lost her job three days aftyer i started mine, she is the main breadwinner in our house and is now inthe process of setting up her own business. For that reason i will be requesting money again for birthday and christmas. UTB

Welcome back Sam. My warning is once you start again you may find it hard to stop.

Also Jon. Well done on newish job mate good to see.

Enjoy

It is truly scary times for everyone and I can't imagine the stress & worry losing your job must bring when you have a mortgage & a family. Thankfully it hasn't yet happened to me (I hope it won't as I work for myself!) but I've still had to make cutbacks and going to the footy less has been one of them. I will be going on Saturday, encouraged by both the price and current form. If that angers some then so be it. But it can only be a good thing if it helps the likes of me and others who posted above regain the desire to find the money to come more often.

I disagree Southend United is a must not a luxury

I pledge my life to my club

It doesnt come down to money it comes down to prioritising and the fact most will either take it or leave it

If we pulled Man United,Liverpool etc away and got charged £50.00 a ticket those who say cost is stopping them going would be first in the que for tickets with there debit card out!!!!

Yes granted I still live at home with my parents but I too is saving a massive amounts of money a month to buy a property with in a year 25k to be per exact but I just budget for my football hence going on the coach every week to help with the cost.

Girthy you was once led by SUFC so think that was a bit harsh pal.

It doesnt come down to money it comes down to prioritising and the fact most will either take it or leave it

If we pulled Man United,Liverpool etc away and got charged £50.00 a ticket those who say cost is stopping them going would be first in the que for tickets with there debit card out!!!!

Yes granted I still live at home with my parents but I too is saving a massive amounts of money a month to buy a property with in a year 25k to be per exact but I just budget for my football hence going on the coach every week to help with the cost.

I don't agree. I have family and they come first where my well earn't money is concerned mate.

I disagree Southend United is a must not a luxury

I pledge my life to my club

One day you'll realise there are far more important things. I've not been for over a year due to financial pressures and a Mrs who suffered through a really bad pregnancy.

One day you'll realise there are far more important things. I've not been for over a year due to financial pressures and a Mrs who suffered through a really bad pregnancy.

Yes but there are ALWAYS ways to still get to see Southend

IF YOU WANT IT ENOUGH TAKE IT!!!

What I am saying is play for the WIN WIN

Cant agree but I would have said the same a few years ago so I know where your coming from.

Lucily for me I have never really had to compromise and I am really grateful/lucky for this but for some people if its a choice between paying your bills or watching Southend what are you going to do first. If you have a wife or kids then you put them before everything else.

Football is a hobby at the end of the day - its one that is more important to some. Keeping the bills paid, kids fed and clean and roof over your head is the harsh reality of life and that has to be anyones priority when money is tight.

SUFC has been there long before any of us were born (possibly not Cricko) and god willing will be here long after we are all gone- you can come and go when you like as your finances or life interests dictate.

Yes but there are ALWAYS ways to still get to see Southend

IF YOU WANT IT ENOUGH TAKE IT!!!

What I am saying is play for the WIN WIN

So the average guy who is on avergage money, wife and two kids who loses his job and has three months worth of savings what is he going to do then. If he cant find work straight away and his money is dwindling then what ways can he use to go and see SUFC if his money is already strecthed and he cant afford £21 for 90 mins football?

I know loads of good people that have lost jobs and for no fault of there own cant find work. They cant play for the win win win when they are looking for work and would be glad to just have some money coming in.

With all due respects its easy to say these catch phrases when you live at home with your parents and your only worry is fidning money to go out at the weekend (not you people in general) and no so easy to do when hard times kick in.

I would just say hope it never happens to you mate as it has never luckily happended to me.

So the average guy who is on avergage money, wife and two kids who loses his job and has three months worth of savings what is he going to do then. If he cant find work straight away and his money is dwindling then what ways can he use to go and see SUFC if his money is already strecthed and he cant afford £21 for 90 mins football?

I know loads of good people that have lost jobs and for no fault of there own cant find work. They cant play for the win win win when they are looking for work and would be glad to just have some money coming in.

With all due respects its easy to say these catch phrases when you live at home with your parents and your only worry is fidning money to go out at the weekend (not you people in general) and no so easy to do when hard times kick in.

I would just say hope it never happens to you mate as it has never luckily happended to me.

Even if I was out of work mate I would do everything in my power to see Southend play simple as that

That does not make me better then anybody but its how I feel

to me its everything

Back