• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
The final:

Default Squad A ... Manager: Beefy

GK: Adam Federici
RB: Dean Austin
CB: Alan Moody
CB: Adam Barrett
LB: Alex 'Sandy' Anderson
RM: Andy Ansah
CM: Alan McCormack
CM: Andy Sussex
LM: Anton Otulakowski
F: Brett Angell
F: Albert Wakefield

Default Squad C ... Manager: fbm

GK Mervyn Cawston
RB Paul Clark
CB Leon Cort
CB Peter Clarke
LB Chris Powell
RM Colin Morris
CM Phil Chisnall
LM Willie Coulson
F Richard Cadette
F David Crown
F Stan Collymore

So so difficult as Beefy beat me and obviously has a good team but fbm has Collmore, my fave player of all time

I have seen 7 of Beefy's team play but only 4 of fbm's

Cheers for running this, Napster (and BLUEBLOOD for that matter). I've got a tough challenge here against the pre-tournament favourite. fbm has a number of eye-catching players, especially up front, but as I said in the previous round I think there are some weaknesses there in the make-up of his side which I'm confident that my boys would be able to exploit.

As good as Crown, Cadette and Collymore were, all three made their names as part of a two man partnership. As a three, how does it work? Who holds the line? Who works the channels? Where is the supply into them? I never saw Morris, Chisnall or Coulson but on paper I'd worry about either a distinct lack of width or, if Morris and Coulson are playing wide then Chisnall would surely be overrun in the middle against Sussex and McCormack?

As a contrast my team is perfectly balanced. An international goalkeeper behind at least three club legends at the back, with an established Premier League fullback making up the defence. McCormack and Sussex are a weak point in the side but they're there to provide work-rate off the ball and would merely look to lay it off to the widemen when they have it. Outwide, Ansah and Otulakowski were very different players but both could happily spend all match constantly hitting the byline and supplying quality ball in for Angell to get on the end of and either get a header on goal or knock it down for the prolific Wakefield.

I think this would be a tactical battle and I'm confident that my side has enough about them defensively to limit the supply to C's strikers and on the attack I'd expect enough good service to guarantee goals. I'm going for 2-0 to the A Team.

Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics

Did this the other day for the B v C semi...

Team A
Total SUFC Goals: 293
Total SUFC Appearances: 2,166
Goals Per Game (whole team): 1.92

Team C
Total SUFC Goals: 241
Total SUFC Appearances: 1,846
Goals Per Game (whole team): 2.26

Suprisingly Albert Wakefield is the most prolific striker on the pitch, banging in 69 goals in a mere 119 games, an average of 0.58 goals per game, superior even to Stan the Man who averaged 0.55 gpg.

It's certainly a tough one to call. Beefy's side are well balanced, and you've got to reckon they'll overrun the C's 3 man midfield, if the C's play narrow then the A's have the width to tear them apart, if the C's play further apart Chisnall will get overrun in the middle. The C's may have two excellent full backs in Powell & Clark but can they really cope with Austin & Ansah and Anderson & Otulakowski coming at them?

On the other hand even if the C's midfield is stiffled you've got to like the chances of the odd ball getting through to Collymore for him to piledrive his way through, would Cadette (or Crown) be able to drop back a bit and offer a link from the midfield to attack?

Morris and Coulson would provide my width. Any one of Cadette, Crown and Collymore would drop deep and pick the ball up from there. Attack wise it would be like having 4 forwards as Morris used to weigh in with more than his fair share of goals.

But, as before, lets look at it player by player

GK - Federici v Cawston.. Feds, no problem. 1-0 A.

RB - Austin v Clark - Deano again nicks it. 2-0.
LB - Anderson v Powell. I don't care how many games Sandy played, Powell has been our best EVER left back and an international. 2-1.
CB - Moody v Cort - Moody was a bit of a sweeper but also predominantly a right back so Leon gets the nod. 2-2.
CB - Barret v Clarke - cancel each other out as before. Still 2-2.

LM - Otulakowski v Coulson - both different types of player, Anton more skilful so I'll go with him. 3-2 A's.
RM - Ansah v Morris - Morris out and out winger and wide player, Ansah also a forward... tough one but in this position Morris. 3-3.
CM - Sussex v Chisnall - both similar, but Sussex was primarily a striker whereas Chisnall was always midfield. He wins it. 3-4 to C's

This is where it gets tricky as there is no direct comparison with McCormack, one of my favourite ever midfielders when on form. So I'll cancel him out with Cadette. Still 3-4.

F - Angell V Collymore - as before, Stan beats everyone. 3-5.
F - Wakefield v Crown - Wakefield may be more prolific but that was in the old game with goal hangers, 2-3-5 formations and when goals were more plentiful. Let's be kind and cancel him out with Crowny.

C's still win 5-3.

VOTE C

I'm not sure I agree with that but either way this isn't a man for man battle as we're playing different formations. Your team doesn't look set up to play against a wide 4-4-2 like my team's. You'd be over-run either in the middle or on the flanks.

A comfortable win for C.

I'm really surprised that As have made it this far - credit to their manager for that.

There are some good players in the As lineup, but with the exception of Moody they are good rather than great. When it comes to SUFC legends the likes of Angell and Austin were very good players but they weren't Collymore and Powell, bona fide SUFC greats.

The likes of Clark, Crown, Cadette and Cawston are all Hall of Fame candidates as well. I just don't see that in the As.

The Cs aren't perfect, but their weaknesses are mirrored by the As - in midfield, Clarke and Barrett.

As 1 - Cs 3
Collymore 12
Crown 27
Cadette 54

Angell 84

Not even close I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I agree with that but either way this isn't a man for man battle as we're playing different formations. Your team doesn't look set up to play against a wide 4-4-2 like my team's. You'd be over-run either in the middle or on the flanks.

I reckon Cort and Clarke would clear anything put in by Ansah and Otulakowski, which would have to be from deep because Ansah would never get past Sir Chris and if he did he'd try to shoot anyway so Angell would be waiting for crosses that never arrived.

Wakefield would be forever offside as he wouldn't know how to play it as the rule probably hadn't been invented when he was in the team and he certainly wouldn't cope with this 1st phase/2nd phase rubbish we have to factor in these days.

I agree your midfield would dominate but this would leave gaps going forward and the strike force on their own would be a handful for any defence.

Sorry mate, can't see how I'd lose this one.

I'd have Cawston as a superior keeper to Federici to be honest fbm, surprised you went for Feds. I appreciate that the younger Zoners won't have had the pleasure of seeing big Merv play but comparing a player who played 10 games against one who played 242? :omg: .......I mean....come on!

As before, I'm looking for balance and quality, and the Cs have it in bucketfuls. I'm surprised people are even voting for a team that has Alan McCormack and Adam Barrett in it to be honest!!! :raspberry:

I'd have Cawston as a superior keeper to Federici to be honest fbm, surprised you went for Feds. I appreciate that the younger Zoners won't have had the pleasure of seeing big Merv play but comparing a player who played 10 games against one who played 242? :omg: .......I mean....come on!

As before, I'm looking for balance and quality, and the Cs have it in bucketfuls. I'm surprised people are even voting for a team that has Alan McCormack and Adam Barrett in it to be honest!!! :raspberry:

It's difficult isn't it? The game has changed so much over time that I reckon Albert Wakefield or any of the past greats would struggle to get into a decent non league team in the modern game. The fantastic players of bygone days would all stuggle with the modern game and it's emphasis on pace and fitness with a ball so light that it almost has it's own behaviour.

Federici is a top quality keeper and I'm sure will be in the Prem as a regular one day and Merv could never match that. One of our finest lower league keepers, certainly, along with Neil Freeman and Malcolm Webster from that era and certainly classes above keepers like Rafter, Keeley and to a degree Jim STannard who I always thought was a bit overrated.

I'm not even sure how Colin Morris and Willie Coulson would fare in the modern game and they weren't THAT long ago... I can still remember the wing trickery of both players (although they never played together, Morris being Coulsons replacement if I recall correctly) when both made full backs look absolute muppets. Coulson on one occasion turned two defenders inside out by feigning to cross and not doing it and left them both on their arses 4 times before getting the cross in. Real Ole football.

Morris was undoubtably the better player of the two and I think went on to Blackpool and then Sheffield United. A real entertainer.

You can say that earlier players would struggle with the pace of today's game, the fitness required, the lightness of the ball could make McCormack's shots look accurate.

But who says it's being played now?

I'm sure the modern players would struggle with a ball the weight of a small moon, pitches straight out of the somme, how would Feds get on without gloves? - not too mention some of the tackles of old...

I still can't decide who to vote for, yes the C's have better individual players but the A's look more of a team to me, the players fit the system. Sir Chrissy Powell may have been our greatest leftback but Ansah was no slouch and with Austin helping out they'd get their fair share of crosses in - Coulson looks a weak link unlikely to be much help, fbm previously stated he was a tad on the porky side and looking at his career on line it's not too impressive. On the other side it's a much more even battle with Clark & Morris likely to be able to cope with Otulakowski & Anderson and mount attacks of their own. Which means Macca & Sussex will outnumber the undoubtedly superior Chisnall in the middle. With only Morris likely to provide any ammo for the C's amazing frontline, they'll likely have to drop deep and there's alot of responsibility on them to create for themselves, wheras the A's front pair will be better supplied from both wings & runners from centre mid!

.............AET
.......A's 3 - 3 C's
..Angell 21...Collymore 7, 99
.Sussex 42..Cadette 66
Ansah 111

To close to call, going to penalties for me...

Penalties A's 4-5 C's
Angell O - O Collymore 1-1
Sussex O - O Chisnall 2-2
McCormack X - O Crown 2-3
Wakefield O - O Morris 3-4
Ansah O - X Cadette 4-4
----------------sudden death
Moody X - X Coulson 4-4
Barrett X - O Clark 4-5

Paul Clark knocks in the winning pen. Sorry Beefy.

Back