• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Squad J ... Manager: Yorkshire Blue

GK Jim Stannard
LB Jimmy Evans
CB Richard Jobson
CB Joe Jaques
RB Duncan Jupp
LM John McKinven
CM Jimmy McAlinden
CM Keith Jones
RM Joe Sibley
CF David Jack
CF Jimmy Shankly

Squad M ... Manager: jamesmut2000

GK Mervyn Cawston
RB Micky Stead
CH Eddie May
CH Alan Moody
LB Charlie Mulgrew
RM Colin Morris
CM Mike Marsh
CM Kevin Maher
LM Mark Gower
CF Sam Mccrory
CF Keith Mercer

...Er when did David Jack play for Southend Yorkshire? He was manager 1934-40 but it was his dad Bob Jack that played (as well as managed) for the Blues wasn't it?

...Er when did David Jack play for Southend Yorkshire? He was manager 1934-40 but it was his dad Bob Jack that played (as well as managed) for the Blues wasn't it?

He was player-manager for us, but he was restricted to us to the FA Cup (a competition he'd previously won) because of the wage cap imposed in the league. Nevertheless, he is objectively the greatest player to have ever played for us. The first ever £10,000 player, his transfer nearly doubled the world transfer record.

He's up front alongside the prolific Jimmy Shankley whose goalscoring feats are unmatched in Southend history. One of just three players to have scored triple figures for the club, he has the best scoring rate of the three and owns the record for most in a season and most in a game.

Providing the ammunition for this classy pair is Jimmy McAlinden, another international and another FA Cup winner, regarded by many who saw him (eg John Woodcock) as Southend's best ever passer of a ball. McAlinden graced the Southend shirt for over 200 games and is one of our most important players ever. Former Southend record signing Keith Jones will be the engine room ensuring McAlinden has got the ball to work his magic. Jones' signing was the key to Southend's highest ever league finish and went onto play Premier$hite football after his Southend stint.

Out wide are two Southend legends in Joe Sibley and John McKinven who made well over 500 appearances between them.

At the back Richard Jobson was an England international and a class act. Joe Jacques captained us to our first ever promotion, one of three teams he captained to promotion. Promotions is something he'll be able to talk about with Ducnan Jupp, who won consecutive promotions and scored one of the most famous goals in Southend history. But my star defender will be Jimmy Evans, arguably the club's greatest ever defender. He was Southend's first international and top-scorer one season. From full-back.

Completing a team made for promotion is Jim Stannard, whose steady influence at the back saw us promoted in the late 80s.

It's a team of winners.

Oh and can I also say that Jimmy McAlinden is an absolutely scandalous omission from the M team. From my reading of Southend United history, he'd be the first name in my midfield when compiling my all-time XI.

At the back Richard Jobson was an England international and a class act.

One out of two. Jobson was called up to several squads, but he never actually won an England cap. Probably would have won at least a dozen in the Sven/Fabio eras of throwing around England caps like confetti. You're spot on about the 'class act' bit, he was very good in a rotten team (early 1998).

He was player-manager for us, but he was restricted to us to the FA Cup (a competition he'd previously won) because of the wage cap imposed in the league. Nevertheless, he is objectively the greatest player to have ever played for us. The first ever £10,000 player, his transfer nearly doubled the world transfer record.

He's up front alongside the prolific Jimmy Shankley whose goalscoring feats are unmatched in Southend history. One of just three players to have scored triple figures for the club, he has the best scoring rate of the three and owns the record for most in a season and most in a game.

Providing the ammunition for this classy pair is Jimmy McAlinden, another international and another FA Cup winner, regarded by many who saw him (eg John Woodcock) as Southend's best ever passer of a ball. McAlinden graced the Southend shirt for over 200 games and is one of our most important players ever. Former Southend record signing Keith Jones will be the engine room ensuring McAlinden has got the ball to work his magic. Jones' signing was the key to Southend's highest ever league finish and went onto play Premier$hite football after his Southend stint.

Out wide are two Southend legends in Joe Sibley and John McKinven who made well over 500 appearances between them.

At the back Richard Jobson was an England international and a class act. Joe Jacques captained us to our first ever promotion, one of three teams he captained to promotion. Promotions is something he'll be able to talk about with Ducnan Jupp, who won consecutive promotions and scored one of the most famous goals in Southend history. But my star defender will be Jimmy Evans, arguably the club's greatest ever defender. He was Southend's first international and top-scorer one season. From full-back.

Completing a team made for promotion is Jim Stannard, whose steady influence at the back saw us promoted in the late 80s.

It's a team of winners.

Oh and can I also say that Jimmy McAlinden is an absolutely scandalous omission from the M team. From my reading of Southend United history, he'd be the first name in my midfield when compiling my all-time XI.

vote winner :thumbsup:

......................FT
..............J's 4 - 2 M's
Shankley 9, 85....McCrory 33
.Evans 14(pen)...Gower 47
........Sibley 69

One out of two. Jobson was called up to several squads, but he never actually won an England cap. Probably would have won at least a dozen in the Sven/Fabio eras of throwing around England caps like confetti. You're spot on about the 'class act' bit, he was very good in a rotten team (early 1998).

Oops, remembered him being a squad member must have been unlucky to have never got on. Bloody good player - was a big part of Oldham's rise in the early 90s and played until he was about 40, racking up around 700 league appearances.

I think Yorkie suffered from having too many older players that few could relate too

Damned fine side mind

I thought that as well (the first point, although I agree with the second as well:winking:). Then I looked again at the M side and saw that I'd only seen 4 of them play - the same amount as I've seen play from my J side.

I suppose I could have gone the populist route of Justin Edinburgh or Nathan Jones at left-back instead of Jimmy Evans who only Cricko will have seen and maybe the popular Jay Smith ahead of Jimmy McAlinden but I was up against one of the favourites who have a fine side.

I think Yorkie suffered from having too many older players that few could relate too

Damned fine side mind

I thought that as well (the first point, although I agree with the second as well:winking:). Then I looked again at the M side and saw that I'd only seen 4 of them play - the same amount as I've seen play from my J side.

I suppose I could have gone the populist route of Justin Edinburgh or Nathan Jones at left-back instead of Jimmy Evans who only Cricko will have seen and maybe the popular Jay Smith ahead of Jimmy McAlinden but I was up against one of the favourites who have a fine side.

I think I'd have to agree with BB - I think I've only seen a couple of the 'J' side in the flesh so to speak. I was expecting a very tight tussle between 2 good sides. I think the Maher,Gower and Mulgrew choices from recent times may have swayed it in my favour.

Not that I'm complaining about being thru to the next round!:thumbsup:

Back