• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Squad K ... Manager: Shrimpero

GK: John Keeley
RB: Keith Lindsey
CB: Stephen Kelly
CB: John Kurila
LB: Kevin Lock
LM: Keith Jones
CM: Billy Kellock
CM: Kevin Maher
RM: Bobby Kellard
F: Michael Kightly
F: Keith Mercer

Squad A ... Manager: Beefy

GK: Adam Federici
RB: Dean Austin
CB: Alan Moody
CB: Adam Barrett
LB: Alex 'Sandy' Anderson
RM: Andy Ansah
CM: Alan McCormack
CM: Andy Sussex
LM: Anton Otulakowski
F: Brett Angell
F: Albert Wakefield

Sorry Rob, but Beefys aces win this hands down

The As looks really weak to me in the centre of the park and will surely get bossed in midfield by a team containing Keith Jones and Kevin Maher (plus I think one of Kellard and Kellock was supposed to be pretty good as well, but I can't remember which was which), so whilst they have more fire power with Angell, Wakefield and Ansah I don't think it's as clearcut as you suggest. I'll therefore wait until the managers make their pitches.

It's odd to see YB describing a midfield containing Alan McCormack as being "weak". I thought he was one of your favourite players.....!

There is a slight weakness in the middle of the park in my team as I admitted in the 'A' thread. I possibly should have put Alan Little in there to add some more steel but I went for Sussex in the end and am giving him a 'shoot on site' instruction. With McCormack closing own players and putting in tackles behind him I'm fairly satisfied with the engine room who would be instructed to give the ball at all times to the two fan-favourites on the wing, who I am more than happy with. Those two would then provide good service for Angell to get on the end of and either finish himself or, more likely, knock it down for Wakefield to finish as he so often did.

The back four speaks for itself really. Barrett wasn't everyone's cup of tea as a defender but he was always very strong when playing alongside a commanding centre-half, which he is here. Moody and Anderson are the Club's two longest serving defenders and you don't play almost 1,000 games between them without having something about them.

The As looks really weak to me in the centre of the park and will surely get bossed in midfield by a team containing Keith Jones and Kevin Maher (plus I think one of Kellard and Kellock was supposed to be pretty good as well, but I can't remember which was which), so whilst they have more fire power with Angell, Wakefield and Ansah I don't think it's as clearcut as you suggest. I'll therefore wait until the managers make their pitches.

Bobby Kellard was pretty good, came through the ranks at Roots Hall and made his debut as a 17 year old, had a long career in the Football League playing for Palace, Portsmouth, Leicester & Bristol City amongst others.

Billy Kellock was crap.

Cheers Harry. Knew one of them had a career in the middle to upper reaches of the Football League. I think that may actually be one of the stronger midfields in the contest. With Steven Kelly at the back, that's a pretty decent spine for the side, although I get the impression the rest of the side wasn't much.

Shrimpero's K Team looks pretty solid, especially at the back, but when you have Keith Jones on the wing you know you must be lacking in creativity. Beefy's A's look a really good side, granted the centre of the park is weak but the defence, wings & attack look tasty.

3-1 to the A's for me.

I thought this contest would be closer... I can only put it down to me old mate Shrimpero putting too many oldies in the squad... it's only people that starting supporting in the late 1960's that would know Linsey, Kurila and Kellard, plus only Maher and Kightley are within the last 10 years.

I thought this contest would be closer... I can only put it down to me old mate Shrimpero putting too many oldies in the squad... it's only people that starting supporting in the late 1960's that would know Linsey, Kurila and Kellard, plus only Maher and Kightley are within the last 10 years.

What modern era players would you (or someone older than you) compare the likes of Linsey, Kurila and Kellard to?

Probably a good point there's a couple of legends in Shrimpero's team in the shape of Maher and Jones (Kightly hardly played any games for us really) but Beefy's team has Barrett, Austin, Ansah, Angell, Anderson, Moody so it was always going to be a bit one-sided.

I think Shrimpero did a pretty good job in putting his side together, but any team that has John Keeley in goal can't be that good, sorry mate. :sad:

I think Shrimpero did a pretty good job in putting his side together, but any team that has John Keeley in goal can't be that good, sorry mate. :sad:

Lol, I knew you'd come up with something of that nature! Comes down to a Maher/McCormack face off in the centre I think, however with the front line they have I reckon the As would take it by a single goal.

Shrimpero's K Team looks pretty solid, especially at the back, but when you have Keith Jones on the wing you know you must be lacking in creativity. Beefy's A's look a really good side, granted the centre of the park is weak but the defence, wings & attack look tasty.

3-1 to the A's for me.

Just got back from being away for a few days. My line-up actually had Keith Jones as a defensive fulcrum in midfield, with Kellock ahead of him to the right and Maher ahead of Jones to the left. Kightly was in an old-fashioned inside right position supporting Mercer, with Kellard providing width on the left.

Squad K ... Manager: Shrimpero

GK: John Keeley
RB: Keith Lindsey
CB: Stephen Kelly
CB: John Kurila
LB: Kevin Lock
LM: Keith Jones
CM: Billy Kellock
CM: Kevin Maher
RM: Bobby Kellard
F: Michael Kightly
F: Keith Mercer

Squad A ... Manager: Beefy

GK: Adam Federici
RB: Dean Austin
CB: Alan Moody
CB: Adam Barrett
LB: Alex 'Sandy' Anderson
RM: Andy Ansah
CM: Alan McCormack
CM: Andy Sussex
LM: Anton Otulakowski
F: Brett Angell
F: Albert Wakefield

Here's what I previously submitted on 'Final Teams' thread last week:
John Keeley

Keith Lindsey Stephen Kelly John Kurila Kevin Lock

Keith Jones
Billy Kellock Kevin Maher
Bobby Kellard

Michael Kightly
Keith Mercer

Couldn't quite get the format I wanted here but that midfield revolves around Jones as the defensive fulcrum with Kellock and Maher in front of him to his right and left respectively. Kellard is playing wide on the left whilst Kightly is in an old-fashioned inside right position behind Mercer as a central forward. Can't do anything about Keeley though.

Last edited:
Probably a good point there's a couple of legends in Shrimpero's team in the shape of Maher and Jones (Kightly hardly played any games for us really) but Beefy's team has Barrett, Austin, Ansah, Angell, Anderson, Moody so it was always going to be a bit one-sided.

Some impressive names there, I grant you Rich ... but Keith Mercer is one player that Adam would not have been able to get his arms around.

What modern era players would you (or someone older than you) compare the likes of Linsey, Kurila and Kellard to?

Bobby Kellard became a very good player but only really after he left us. Personally I never saw him play for us as he'd left by the time I started supporting in 1969, but from his Leicester days I seem to recall him being a very hard working, terrier like player. He'd be most like Peter Butler or an in form Alan McCormack I'd say.

Keith Lindsey I recall seeing but to be honest don't really remember him very well. As for Kurila the Gorilla and a modern day equivalent... hmmm... a slightly taller version of Paul Clark in a foul mood?

Just got back from being away for a few days. My line-up actually had Keith Jones as a defensive fulcrum in midfield, with Kellock ahead of him to the right and Maher ahead of Jones to the left. Kightly was in an old-fashioned inside right position supporting Mercer, with Kellard providing width on the left.

You will recall mate i just had to list the names in some sort of vague postional line up and then allow you to expand upon it in the thread, which you've done admirably sir .. not well enough to avoid an absolute whooping i have to say, but admirably nonetheless :smile:

Back