• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Squad L ... Manager: Uncle Leo

GK: Lawrie Leslie
RB: Keith Lindsey
CB: Leo Roget
CB: Mike Lapper
LB: Lou Costello
RM: Martin Ling
CM: Alan Little
LM: Jimmy Lawler
F: Lee Barnard
F: Les Stubbs
F: Harry Lane

Squad F ... Manager: MilkeySUFC

GK: Adam Federici
RB: Frank Banks
CB: Simon Francis
CB: Frank Haydock
LB: Andy Ford
RW: Jackie French
CM: Franck Moussa
CM: Brian Ferguson
LW: Gerry Fell
FW: Eddie Firmani
FW: Freddy Eastwood

Les Stubbs. Must admit I'd not heard of him before this battle - which goes to show that beyond just a bit of fun, this is a great way for us all to swot up on our Southend United history - but just check out this scoring record from his first spell at SUFC.

Played - 88
Goals - 45

The man was a scoring machine. Three from 23 in his second spell, but he was taking pity on Division Three (South) defences by then.

A proper battle, unlike the one sided affairs from yesterday .. my initial gut feeling is draw, i simply cannot take a look at the sides and pick one or the other so i look forward to the managers making their pitches to convince me (latest score.. L1 F0)

On the subject of draws what is the idea Naps, do you get casting vote or is it something like most apps/goals in the side prevail ??

Mike Lapper - 44 caps for the USA, but more importantly 52 appearances for SUFC from 95 to 97. Classy.

A proper battle, unlike the one sided affairs from yesterday .. my initial gut feeling is draw, i simply cannot take a look at the sides and pick one or the other so i look forward to the managers making their pitches to convince me (latest score.. L1 F0)

On the subject of draws what is the idea Naps, do you get casting vote or is it something like most apps/goals in the side prevail ??

Double letter gets a bonus doesn't it?

Anyway need some more facts and figures before making a decision here.

Some of my favourite Leo Roget moments..

• A late, late goal against Watford to keep our slim play-off hopes alive in 1996. Leeee-o! Leeeee-o! Leeeee-o!
  • Running the length of the field to get involved in a ruck against Kingstonian and getting himself sent off. Shouldn't be funny but it was
  • Smashing up Barnet's stereo
    • A golden goal to win an LDV Vans Trophy ties vs Swindon. The only such goal scored by an SUFC player?

Now this should be a real battle. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and lesser known 'old' players. Can anyone tell me about Harry Lane?

Tough one... but Freddy would be the difference in a narrow win for the F's.

As for the draws, surely the point is to pick a winner? So the draw shouldn't be an option.

God Bless sufcdb.co.uk

Harry Lane. 2 spells 1933-38 & 1946-49. Total 252 appearances. 79 Goals. That's a goal every 3 games or so.

I go with fbm on this, plus apart from Freddy you have a very decent pair of full backs and the young Messiah Moussa in the middle! As for Les Stubbs, you want to speak to Brian Jeeves or anyone connected with Great Wakering Rovers, not forgetting Chelsea of course - he died only recently and Brian wrote the obituary for him for Chelsea's match programme and has also included stories about him in his books.

I'm really struggling. I think the L's have too much firepower against the F's personally. It'd be a thriller, that's for sure.

I'm really struggling. I think the L's have too much firepower against the F's personally. It'd be a thriller, that's for sure.

I pretty much agree with this. Goals per game ratio's...
H Lane 0.31
L Stubbs 0.51
L Barnard 0.44
v
E Firmani 0.45
F Eastwood 0.45

That said French & Moussa have goals in them. The F defence is a bit patched up with Francis at CB, the Lapper-Roget partnership is more convincing. But the F's have the better keeper (maybe, Leslie did win 5 caps for Scotland). Tough call.

God Bless sufcdb.co.uk

Harry Lane. 2 spells 1933-38 & 1946-49. Total 252 appearances. 79 Goals. That's a goal every 3 games or so.

It's Lane, Barnard and Stubbs who will fire this team to victory - 164 goals in 448 games combined for SUFC.

They score five, we'll score six.

.........After Extra Time.
............L's 4 - 3 F's
......Barnard 9 ..Eastwood 17
Stubbs 28, 79 ..French 31
.....Roget 113 ..Firmani 55​

If the match is tied a double-letter will win. If neither team has one, I have the casting vote, and I will choose based on manager's arguments.

If the match is tied a double-letter will win. If neither team has one, I have the casting vote, and I will choose based on manager's arguments.

Thanks for clearing that one up Naps

In reply to fbm and OBL i didn't mean you had an option to call a draw i meant that it could easily be say 20 all on votes

I don't wish to be contraversial but are people voting for F, just because Freddy is in the side? Because there's no way the F team is twice as good as the L team.

Back