• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
My team is going well so far....

Jon O'Brien
???????? Tom Jordan ???????? Neil Jenkins
Julian Hails Jason Cook ??????? Jason Harris
Graeme Jones Joe Allon

Seriously, I've got most of my line-up sorted with a strong-spine of internationals but I want to know more about:

Joe Jaques
John Kurila
Jim Fryatt
John McGuigan
Jim Stirling
John Duffy
Jimmy Lawler
Jackie French
Joe Sibley
Terry Johnson
John McKinven

In particular I'm after a centre-half to partner my England international at the heart of the defence and would welcome some more input on the wings as they were all before my time.

Also John Burridge or Jim Stannard in goal?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the oldest team.

Keith Jones for midfield?

Yeah, I've already got him pencilled in. I'm only looking for one-centre-half and just finalising my wingers and choice of keeper otherwise I'm all set.

Incidentally J would be particularly rich pickings if you wanted to construct a dwarf midfield: JCR, Jason Cook, Keith Jones and Jay Smith would be the smallest midfield ever. There are tribes of pygmies in the Amazon who'd look down on them.

My team is going well so far....

Jon O'Brien
???????? Tom Jordan ???????? Neil Jenkins
Julian Hails Jason Cook ??????? Jason Harris
Graeme Jones Joe Allon

Seriously, I've got most of my line-up sorted with a strong-spine of internationals but I want to know more about:

Joe Jaques
John Kurila
Jim Fryatt
John McGuigan
Jim Stirling
John Duffy
Jimmy Lawler
Jackie French
Joe Sibley
Terry Johnson
John McKinven

In particular I'm after a centre-half to partner my England international at the heart of the defence and would welcome some more input on the wings as they were all before my time.

Also John Burridge or Jim Stannard in goal?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the oldest team.

Stannard in goal, YB. Budgie was a great showman 'keeper, but Gentleman Jim was solid in more than one sense.

Pretty sure that most of the old-timers willl testify for John Kurila in the centre of your defence ... I know what Barna will say already ... and talking of left-wingers, from what I hear John McKinven was some player before Graham Taylor broke his leg. I saw Terry Johnson on the other wing in '71-'72 and though I was only 10-11, I do remember him as an exciting player and crowd favourite.

I don't recall Jim Fryatt personally but have heard he was a fine player.

Kurila the Gorilla was just that... a no nonsense "thou shalt not pass" type thug. A fine addition to the team.

Joe Jaques was the better centre half I think.

McKinven was quality although again I never saw him personally but isn't he our most capped international (or was)?

Terry Johnson was a crowd pleaser at Div 4 level but was one of those who could also make you wonder how he was a footballer.

Jimmy Shankly, Bills brother played a few times for us

Jason Lee anyone ?

Jimmy Shankly played more than a few times for us!

Jason Lee was given strong consideration, but in the end I considered Graeme Jones and Joe Allon to be marginally worse.

Joe Jacques for the double J.
As Firestorm has already said Jim Fryatt has the record for the fastest league goal ever.

John McKinven was a fine left winger, fast & skillful until that **** Taylor broke his leg. (Just noticed Shrimpero mentioned that, but more politely).

John Neilsen anyone?

I give you this second one...
[video=youtube;UqMUDsoyAzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMUDsoyAzs[/video]

I can't access youtube at work.

Am currently leaning towards Stannard over Burridge and Jaques (our first ever promotion winning captain) over Kurila - although am waiting for Barna's opinion on this one.

That leaves the wings where there are no shortage of quality candidates: John McKinven, Jonathan Hunt, Joe Sibley, Terry Johnson and Jackie French. I'm getting the impression Johnson maybe doesn't belong in such company.

I can't access youtube at work.

Am currently leaning towards Stannard over Burridge and Jaques (our first ever promotion winning captain) over Kurila - although am waiting for Barna's opinion on this one.

That leaves the wings where there are no shortage of quality candidates: John McKinven, Jonathan Hunt, Joe Sibley, Terry Johnson and Jackie French. I'm getting the impression Johnson maybe doesn't belong in such company.

If I were choosing a team of best ever loan players then it would be Burridge, but Stannard was here longer, but apart from that he was a bloody good goal keeper, one of the best I've seen play for Southend. I liked Terry Johnson because if nothing else je always "worked his socks off" not blessed with the greatest ability but a team man. Hunt IMO was the best of the players Fry bought to the club but not as good as McKinven.

Jim Stannard was immense, though he probably had his finest moment for us after he'd gone back to Fulham dropping 2 first half corners at the feet of firstly Ian Benjamin and then Dave Martin as we strolled to a 3-0 win at The Cottage .. how times change eh

OK my XI is:

GK: Jim Stannard - with over 100 performances and a promotion (no relegations) under his not insubstantial belt. Jim Stannard is in every sense a solid choice in goal
RB: Drunken Jupp - double promotion winner and scorer of one of the most iconic goals in Southend history, he's got to be in.
CB: Richard Jobson - an England international and an absolute class act. One of the very best players to have played for Southend.
CB: Joe Jaques - the first man to ever captain Southend to promotion, a born leader he also captained two other teams to promotion, possessed a fine 'tache and is a double J to boot. If that isn't the stuff legends are made of, I don't know what is.
LB: Jimmy Evans - Southend's first ever international, Evans was a true Southend legend even top-scoring one season from left-back. The only man who can rival Chrissy Powell as Southend's best ever left-back.
CM: Jimmy McAlinden - an international, a FA Cup winner and reputed to be the best passer to have ever donned a Southend shirt, McAlinden graced the Southend midfield for over 200 appearances. Wiki describes him as possibly the best player ever to play for the club. Everything I read about him says legend.
CM: Keith Jones - Southend's one-time record signing, he anchored the midfield to the club's highest ever league finish. Despite being a bona fide midget he also won more than his fair share of headers.
RM: Joe Sibley - when I asked for people to nominate their legends a couple of years back, he was voted one of the XVI biggest Southend legends. Whilst few fans these days have seen him play, his reputation lives on because those who saw him play invariably speak highly of him.
LM: John McKinven - a member of the SUSCT Hall of Fame, McKinven is described by Irenbird, who has seen far more of SUFC than I have, as "the greatest winger we ever possessed. He was hugely skilful, fast, tricky, crossed an awesome ball, and a lovely man to boot.... For me Johnny Mac was the best and is a true Blues legend." That's good enough for me.
CF: David Jack - completing a spine of internationals through the heart of the team, Jack is objectively the greatest ever player to have pulled on a Southend shirt. The first ever goalscorer at Wembley (and against W*** H** at that) in the famous white horse final, Jack's transfer from Bolton to Herbert Chapman's Arsenal nearly doubled the world record transfer fee and was the first ever £10,000+ transfer.
CF: Jimmy Shankly - the more famous brother of one time Liverpool manager Bill, Jimmy achieved immortality in the 1928/29 season by scoring a club record 35 goals. One of only three men to have scored 100 goals for Southend, he has the best goals per game ratio of all of have reached that landmark. He collected hattricks like Kevin Maher collected bookings for dissent.

Internationals, record-setters, big-game players, promotion winners. I've got the lot.

Last edited:
Did I help with my Juppy contribution YB or was he already in?

Oh, and did you consider Junior Stanislas? Couldn't see him mentioned anywhere.

OK my XI is:

GK: Jim Stannard - with over 100 performances and a promotion (no relegations) under his not insubstantial belt. Jim Stannard is in every sense a solid choice in goal
RB: Drunken Jupp - double promotion winner and scorer of one of the most iconic goals in Southend history, he's got to be in.
CB: Richard Jobson - an England international and an absolute class act. One of the very best players to have played for Southend.
CB: Joe Jaques - the first man to ever captain Southend to promotion, a born leader he also captained two other teams to promotion, possessed a fine 'tache and is a double J to boot. If that isn't the stuff legends are made of, I don't know what is.
LB: Jimmy Evans - Southend's first ever international, Evans was a true Southend legend even top-scoring one season from left-back. The only man who can rival Chrissy Powell as Southend's best ever left-back.
CM: Jimmy McAlinden - an international, a FA Cup winner and reputed to be the best passer to have ever donned a Southend shirt, McAlinden graced the Southend midfield for over 200 appearances. Wiki describes him as possibly the best player ever to play for the club. Everything I read about him says legend.
CM: Keith Jones - Southend's one-time record signing, he anchored the midfield to the club's highest ever league finish. Despite being a bona fide midget he also won more than his fair share of headers.
RM: Joe Sibley - when I asked for people to nominate their legends a couple of years back, he was voted one of the XVI biggest Southend legends. Whilst few fans these days have seen him play, his reputation lives on because those who saw him play invariably speak highly of him.
LM: John McKinven - a member of the SUSCT Hall of Fame, McKinven is described by Irenbird, who has seen far more of SUFC than I have, as "the greatest winger we ever possessed. He was hugely skilful, fast, tricky, crossed an awesome ball, and a lovely man to boot.... For me Johnny Mac was the best and is a true Blues legend." That's good enough for me.
CF: David Jack - completing a spine of internationals through the heart of the team, Jack is objectively the greatest ever player to have pulled on a Southend shirt. The first ever goalscorer at Wembley (and against W*** H** at that) in the famous white horse final, Jack's transfer from Bolton to Herbert Chapman's Arsenal nearly doubled the world record transfer fee and was the first ever £10,000+ transfer.
CF: Jimmy Shankly - the more famous brother of one time Liverpool manager Bill, Jimmy achieved immortality in the 1928/29 season by scoring a club record 35 goals. One of only three men to have scored 100 goals for Southend, he has the best goals per game ratio of all of have reached that landmark. He collected hattricks like Kevin Maher collected bookings for dissent.

Internationals, record-setters, big-game players, promotion winners. I've got the lot.

Great team, good to see Jobson there, and Jimmy Evans; who I wrote about for the programme!

Wearing my pedant hat once again ... H has got the only correct spelling for Joe Jacques.

An honourable mention for an underrated LB in Peter Johnson. I remember programme notes about his late winner at Col U in '87 being a goal to win the Cup Final, the Grand National and Wimbledon all rolled into one. Although I thought Justin Edinburgh was overrated, he could have been a contender too. It seems that there is no contest with Jimmy Evans' international pedigree though.

Back