• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Ok, a few off the top of my head, a few more from SUFCDB. No formation or such like yet, just listing players by the four main areas of the field.

Goalkeeper

Lawrie Leslie (double L!)

Defenders

Leon Cort, Leo Roget, Mike Lapper, Lewis Hunt, Leon Johnson, Keith Lindsey

Midfielders

Alan Little, Martin Ling, Mickey Laverick, Luke Guttridge, David Lee, Adam Locke, Francis Laurent, Lou Costello

Forwards

Lee Barnard My Lord, Leon Constantine, Leon Clarke, Lee Bradbury,, Lawrie Dudfield, Leo Stevens, Les Stubbs

My Southend memory only goes back to the mid-80s, so any thoughts on some of the older players here would be much appreciated, as would any suggestions for players I may have missed out.

Lawrie Leslie, Scottish goalkeeper, brave but as a consequence was frequently injured.

Keith Lindsey was a left back, I don't remember much about him IIRC he replaced Graham Birks.
My memory of Lou Costello was that he was a defender rather than a midfield player.

You can get a decent midfield four of Ling, Little, Laverick & Luke Guttridge (or Lee).

Les Stubbs could be a good addition upfront, great article on him in AAS recently.

Lars Ungar in midfield? :winking:

Any team with Mike Lapper in it is a good thing though.

EDIT: Damn you shrimpboy!

If I'm going to be in charge of this L team, I would like to have the power to ban from the ground any fans whose name begins with L. Like, for example, ldnfatso.

Ex shrimpers challenge letter L

Keith Lindsey was one of the best full backs we've had, but unfortunately, didn't stay with the club for that long I sem to recall. Lou Costello was indeed a fullback who had a love him/hate him relationship with the fans. Not good enough for final XI in my eyes.

Last edited:
Keith Lindsey was one of the best full backs we've had, but unfortunately, didn't stay with the club for that long I sem to recall. Lou Costello was indeed a fullback who had a love him/hate him relationship with the fans. Not good enough for final XI in my eyes.

Just three times as long as all of our current squad !

Jimmy Lawler in midfield and Harry Lane up top must come in for serious consideration here James

Lawler - clearly an impressive figure, but position? '100 Southend Greats' has him down as a striker/defender (a la Chris Sutton or Paul Warhurst?) and also a half-back. So can I play him anywhere?

Harry Lane is a good shout too, just read up on him. We're looking quite good up front and whilst I'm not expecting to win this comp, LSUFC could take a few scalps!

Not a final XI, but I am currently looking at:

Lawrie Leslie

Keith Lindsey / Leo Roget / Mike Lapper / Lou Costello

Martin Ling / Alan Little / Jimmy Lawler

Lee Barnard / Les Stubbs / Harry Lane

Feel free to give this selection a good kicking!

I do wonder if I should have Cort ahead of Roget. Cort achieved more in his career - playing in the top flight, albeit without great success - but I always like Roget, he gave us so many classic moments.

Back