• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Squad B ... Manager: BLUEBLOOD
GK Billy Moore
LB Graham Birks
CB Adam Barrett
CB Guy Butters
RB Tony Bentley
LM Nicky Bailey
CM Peter Butler
RM Mark Bentley
F Bill Garner
F Billy Best
F Brett Angell

Squad C ... Manager: fbm
GK Mervyn Cawston
RB Paul Clark
CB Leon Cort
CB Peter Clarke
LB Chris Powell
RM Colin Morris
CM Phil Chisnall
LM Willie Coulson
F Richard Cadette
F David Crown
F Stan Collymore

Too close to call but if I had to I suppose team B, the thought of Bailey and Butler in midfield just does it for me. There again difficult to vote against Collymore and Crown up front. Ok team B

Very very tough call this one....but just tipping the scales for me because of their midfield is B.

Two players I've read a bit about but would like to know more of - Tony Bentley and Colin Morris.

BB/fbm - over to you.

Wow - what a match. The 3 C's up front, in my opinion murder the back 4 of the B's. But then again the B's strike force isnt to be sniffed at. I just feel with Collymore in your team, when he was at Southend, he would be the difference in any tight match. C's just !!

This one really is incredibly close, so much so that I've gone and looked up some stats.

Team B
Total SUFC Goals: 311
Total SUFC Appearances: 1,897

Team C
Total SUFC Goals: 241
Total SUFC Appearances: 1,795

Both teams are stuffed full of legends, the B's edge it on experience and career goals scored. But...

Average Goals Per Game...

Team B
Garner, Best & Angell: 1.42 goals per game.
Whole Team: 2.15 gpg

Team C
Collymore, Cadette & Crown: 1.61 gpg
Whole Team: 2.26 gpg

So Team C edge the number of goals they'd score in a game. But it's so close....

...........AET
.....B's 2 - 2 C's
Bailey 15...Collymore 21
..Best 64...Cadette 57

I may have to flip a coin for penalties...

I'll be honest (and not just because I'm trying to plant seeds of doubt in people's minds ahead of the final...) but both sides look completely unbalanced to me. B has no width at all and C's strikeforce, whilst all top players, I can't see working as a unit.

How does this work?

Wow - what a match. The 3 C's up front, in my opinion murder the back 4 of the B's. But then again the B's strike force isnt to be sniffed at. I just feel with Collymore in your team, when he was at Southend, he would be the difference in any tight match. C's just !!

Disagree here, both defensive units have their weak points, Peter Clarke's tendancy to give away penalties for the C's, Barrett's lack of pace for the B's. While Stan the Man is the mercurial striker on the pitch capable of pulling something out of the bag you have to think that the B's tireless midfield trio of Bailey, Butler & Bentley are going to be a big help to their defence.

Interesting stats you have there Jon, they don't actually tally up with mine (from SUFCDB and Pete & Daves books) but its pretty relevant as the basis for my argument of why it should be VOTE TEAM B

Games & Goals as follows ...

GK:
Mervyn Cawston 242/0 Billy Moore 304/0

LB:
Chris Powell 290/3 Graham Birks 153/1

CB:
Leon Cort 161/12 Adam Barrett 288/30
Peter Clarke 150/5 Guy Butters 18/3

RB:
Paul Clark 357/7 Tony Bentley 419/17

LM:
Willie Coulson 59/4 Nicky Bailey 54/5 draw

CM:
Phil Chisnall 161/32 Peter Butler 167/12 draw

RM:
Colin Morris 156/30 Mark Bentley 107/11

F:
Stan Collymore 33/18 Bill Garner 111/47
David Crown 132/69 Brett Angell 136/63 draw
Richard Cadette 105/56 Billy Best 247/123

So by my reckoning the Cs have 1846 apps with 236 goals and the Bs 2004 apps / 312 goals

Position for position its 5-3 to B with 3 unable to split

Damned lies and statistics

VOTE B

Right to close to call for me so penalty shoot out...

C's Collymore GOAL! 1-0
B's
B Angell SAVED! 1-0
C's
Crown GOAL! 2-0
B's
Bailey GOAL! 2-1
C's
Chisnall SAVED! 2-1
B's
Best SAVED! 2-1
C's
C Morris SAVED! 2-1
B's
M Bentley GOAL! 2-2
C's
Cadette GOAL! 3-2
B's
Garner SAVED! 3-2

Sorry BlueBlood

Interesting stats you have there Jon, they don't actually tally up with mine (from SUFCDB and Pete & Daves books) but its pretty relevant as the basis for my argument of why it should be VOTE TEAM B

I took the stats from SUFCDB and if they were missing or obviously wrong then looked on wikipedia/soccerbase. Not saying they're correct, just what I found.

James, I can tell you a bit about Colin "Nookie Bear" Morris. I won't bother with stats because you can check them yourself, but the stats won't tell you about his likeness to Roger de Courcey (hence the nickname), nor his bandy legs, nor his ability to run the wing ragged. He was a very useful little player, strong despite his size and a good eye for passing and crossing.

As to the match, well, both teams are playing players out of position (the Viking and Bailey) in a 4-3-3 line up. The C's midfield is, possibly on paper, weaker but I know nothing about Chisnall. I think it would be a close one, there's no doubt about that, both defences have a player that is more than capable of giving away a penalty against those forwards in Barrett and Peter Clarke - as we know to our cost! However, for me the Cs just edge it as they have what are in my opinion, three of our best ever players while the Bs have two...and one of them was a complete ******! :winking: Mervyn Cawston, Chris Powell and Stan Collymore - two England internationals out of that lot, whereas Billy Best and Nicky Bailey never came near. Cs for me....sorry Lee.

Wow, tough, tough game. Both of us adopting a 4-3-3 formation. Let's do it player by player.

Keeper - Cawston v Moore. Don't know Moore but with superior modern day techniques I guess Cawston. 1-0 to C.

RB - Tony Bentley v Paul Clark. Both good, honest, tough tackling servants for the club. Again, Clark edges it for me as a player and as a right back, which is where he started and then played a lot (out of position in midfield and at centre back OBL!). 2-0 C
LB - Graham Birks v Chris Powell - 4th division left back vs international. No contest. 3-0.
CB - Barrett v Clarke - both very similar players, Barrett more passionate, Clarke possibly better technically. Barrett capable of 10 goals a season but sometimes goes awol, Clarke gives away penalties. Too close to call so they cancel each other out. Still 3-0.
CB - Cort v Butters - both went on to play at highest level, Cort more dominant in the air, Butters better on the deck. Alongside Clarke the aerial dominance takes it for me. 4-0.

RM - Morris v Bentley. Two different players. Morris is your typical winger that could dribble. Bentley is box to box and more central midfield, plus very indisciplined positionally. Morris would beat him all ends up or Bentley would foul him and get sent off. 5-0.
CM - Chisnall v Butler - Despite Chisnall coming from Man Utd and being the last person transferred between Liverpool and Man Utd, he never really lived up to that billing for us whereas Butler was phenomenal. Butler all the way. 5-1
LM - Bailey v Coulson - Coulson was great BUT overweight and Bailey would p*ss all over him plus lend a hand in defence. 5-2.

F - Garner v Crown - Crowny more greedy and could score better goals, but Garner was aerially superb. Shame B's team lacks a winger to cross for him. However, in this contest I'd shade big Bill. 5-3
F - Cadette v Best - Really tough. Both superb players, Best more of a box player whereas Cadette could make things happen. But Best is one of my favourite ever players so again, Bill wins. 5-4
F - Collymore v Angell. Stan wins this one hands down to be honest as he is pretty much the single most talented player to pull on a shirt for this club. 6-4 to C.

Therefore...

VOTE C

I'll be honest (and not just because I'm trying to plant seeds of doubt in people's minds ahead of the final...) but both sides look completely unbalanced to me. B has no width at all and C's strikeforce, whilst all top players, I can't see working as a unit.

How does this work?

To counter that both Tony Bentley & Graham Birks were excellent going forward and overlapping, they would cover any problem of width. IMO Crown, Cadette & Collymore would have no problem playing together. Overall I think the B defence is slightly weaker than the C's. But any team with Billy Best in....... I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Two players I've read a bit about but would like to know more of - Tony Bentley and Colin Morris.

BB/fbm - over to you.

Tony Bentley was a wonderful overlapping fullback(who joined us from Stoke)when we dropped into the old 4th division for the first time.Apparently he'd played on the wing for Stoke.Great bloke who lives in Canada these days but pops back to Roots Hall every now and then and has a chat with fans in the Shrimpers Bar rather than the DB.
Colin Morris was a wonderful little winger from the Dave Smith era.He was tricky and had a great engine.Star players both.
(PS OBl Phil Chisnall was one of the best players I've ever seen for the Blues in that great 68/9 side.Ex MU and Liverpool he had real quality.His well known re-fuelling habits -as a Bell regular-might have occasionally affected his game!

When i first saw fbms team during the warm up i said straight away they would win, fairly modern as i've seen 9 of them play and i'm "only" 40 so i'm not surprised at this result, that said my lads have given me fine service and i can only lament that i never saw Billy Best play, he was my dads favourite player and a few years back my brother in law (Dave Goody) arranged for my dad to go meet him before a 2-1 win at Northampton (Adam Barrett brace .. VOTE B !!!) apparently my old man was like a little schoolboy such was his excitement, and was probably akin to the feeling i had in introducing my son to Stan Collymore one time, so theres ANOTHER reference to a player from this match that really ought to have been the final itself .. it looks like C will win, and fair enough they are a fantastic looking side

If nothing else this very very very fine competition superbly run by Napster :clap: has just highlisted what a bloody fantastic team we ALL SUPPORT .. lets get right behind them next season and hope for some more success to cherish eh !!! :loyalsupporter:

Oh and if you've not voted yet :winking:

Back