• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
After yesterday's 'vital' story linking Adrian Clarke with a return to Roots Hall as player-coach, I spoke to the man himself to find out the truth behind the tittle-tattle.

A mercurial left-winger at Roots Hall in the late 90s, Clarke has issued a 'come and get me' plea to Steve Tilson.

"I've still got a lot to offer on the pitch," he told me. "What I lack in pace these days, I more than make up for in positioning, guile and tactical nous. I scored 14 for the five-a-side boys the other night, so it's still there."

Clarke, now running his own sports media business in London, was delighted to see his name linked to Southend United and spent yesterday afternoon fielding phonecalls from the media. Well, the people at www.icons.com anyway.

"I'd love to come back," he insisted. "Though my body has travelled around the region, my heart has always remained at Roots Hall. I proudly refer to them as, 'my club' and it would be an honour to coach the next generation"

When pressed Clarke admitted, "Well, there's been no actual contact from Steve Tilson yet, no. He's a lovely bloke though. I've always said that."

At the time of typing, there was no official statement from Southend United, mainly because I didn't ask them for one, but I'm sure that as you read this, the well-greased media machine is clanking into action. For one old warrior, they just can't clank quickly enough.

Must surely be amongst the contenders for most frustrating signing, in that he was one of those players who we had all heard of and I thought was going to be awesome.....showed glimpses but was really Tommy Black prototype.

Others in that category: Andy Turner, Ian Selley, Jeroen Boere, David Whyte, Paul Williams, Scott Houghton......and the king of them all - Michael Ricketts.

My abiding memory of Adrian Clarke was when he blazed over from about 6 yards in the last minute of the FA Cup tie against the bottom side in the Conference - Doncaster Rovers

How times change eh !!!!! (apart from losing to Donny of course :nope: )

My abiding memory of Adrian Clarke was when he blazed over from about 6 yards in the last minute of the FA Cup tie against the bottom side in the Conference - Doncaster Rovers

How times change eh !!!!! (apart from losing to Donny of course :nope: )

Ah, he still has nightmares about that one. Bless him though, he was absolutely delighted when that rumour appeared from nowhere. I think he may actually have convinced a few people that it was true!

Has anyone else heard the rumour about Andy Cole coming to be a player-coach?

Back