• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Exeter City 1-0 Southend United

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
If you're one of the brave souls who made the long cold trek to Devon, this is the place for reports and ratings...

7th away defeat in a row in all comps. 5th away defeat in a row in the league.

Not good at all!

According to Tilly.

They went ahead against the run of play.
Jabo clear chances cost us.
They sat back after their goal.
We've dominated possession but need to be more ruthless.
Jabo sending off harsh as their player's made a meal of it.
Attitude, committment, desire was spot on.
Shouldn't have come away from the game with nothing.
Not thought about extending Jabo's loan as yet, though the 3 match ban would affect that.

According to AB

Their goal could have been avoided.
Dominated 2nd half come away with nothing.
Again goal against the run of play.
Every effort by home team seems to go in.
No cutting edge, need to be more ruthless.
Lots gone on off the field.
Can't get any consistency because of all the changes.
Dominated Charlton, should have won that.
Need to grind results out & be mentally stronger.
All disappointed in the dressing room.
Jabo pushed the bloke as he'd stamped on Jabo's foot.
Their guy made a meal of it.
Midfield congested with their formation.

Much repetition of the need to be ruthless etc etc.
Scum solid so AB not surprised they are doing well.
Paid tribute to the 264 fans.

I will lose a lot of respect for Tilson if he even dares to consider extending Ibehre's loan.

Work prevented me from making it today but having spoken to Piers in Exeter, his assessment was that "both sides deserved to lose".

According to AB

Their goal could have been avoided.
Dominated 2nd half come away with nothing.
Again goal against the run of play.
Every effort by home team seems to go in.
No cutting edge, need to be more ruthless.
Lots gone on off the field.
Can't get any consistency because of all the changes.
Dominated Charlton, should have won that.
Need to grind results out & be mentally stronger.
All disappointed in the dressing room.
Jabo pushed the bloke as he'd stamped on Jabo's foot.
Their guy made a meal of it.
Midfield congested with their formation.

Much repetition of the need to be ruthless etc etc.
Scum solid so AB not surprised they are doing well.
Paid tribute to the 264 fans.

If that's the case, perhaps Jabo would have done better rolling around the pitch in agony rather than retaliating.

Just on my way back from a sub-zero St James' Park, and feeling more desperate than I have for a while about our current predicament. We are in a very deep rut and don't appear to know how to get ourselves out of it. As seems to be the norm these days, I find myself struggling to agree with Tilly's post-match comments.....yes we have a large proportion of the ball week in, week out, but we do little of any use with it. Their goal was not scored against the run of play...Exeter were all over us for long periods of the first half, and the goal itself was a calamitous combination of inept defending down our left, and poor decision making from Mildy. Make no mistake, Exeter were another distinctly poor side, but as usual we ran out of ideas as to how to genuinely hurt them once we got near their 18 yard box. Ibhere has an awful first touch and doesn't appear to know how to usefully hold up the ball, meaning Barney had to try and do the work of two forwards, which is counter-productive. I also dispute the statement that the attitude was spot on...we look very negative going forward, we were second to a majority of key balls in the midfield and at the back, and our set pieces look half arsed and lacking any threat. We never looked like scoring had we played on for another day. ****ed off, cold, and fearing we will get massively shown-up in our impending local derbies.

Usual excuses. The team can't defend when under pressure, barney apart the strikers are hopeless and our poor discipline is costing us time after time. Questions must be asked of why we seem to get strikers who do well at other clubs but look woeful when pulling on the blue shirt.

How many times does tilly come out after a loss and say we were the better team, we didnt get any luck and we deserved to get something from the game???

Im not to worried to be honest, things could have been a lot worst by now if we had gone into administration etc, I just hope we can hang on to barny as I we are going to need to him and wait and see what santa brings on Boxing day.

Come on the blues!

I live very local to Exeter so just got back.

Must agree with statements that have said both teams were poor. Neither team deserved to win through a complete lack of quality.

Was a poor goal to give away - a long ball over the top which Mildenhall half came for and then got stranded leaving the chip on. Exeter should have extended lead with an absolute sitter header in front of goal and one of their players going clean through - but this wouldn't have been deserved.

We dominated possession in the second half but never really looked like scoring. First half was diabolical with a complete lack of control in midfield.

Changes were made but way to late in the day. To be brutally honest they should have come ten minutes maximum into the second half because a goal wasn't coming.

Tilly has to have a serious look at the centre of his midfield and in particular McCormack. He didn't offer anything to the game. When on top of his game he is a live wire in the middle of the park bombing on passed the front two. What was his contribution today? Grant was sitting in front of back four protecting them and cleaning up. WHat is McCormack in the team for? In my opinion he was a complete passenger today and we desperately need someone in the middle who will create chances and score goals.

Jabo Ibehre - can't believe he is league one class - missed a sitter at the end of the first half. The altercation was seen by a bloke standing next to me - his instant reaction was that Ibehre had head butted him and he said "He'll go for that". He did - so contradicts the party line that it was a push. Didn't see it myself so will have to reserve judgement.

First game I've been to since Millwall at home. Not going to bother with ratings but wouldn't score higher than 6 for anyone today and that would only be a few. Shocking.

Lets hope the season ticket money is going to rebuild the squad - if it doesn't then lets hope the stadium starts bloody soon. If neither of these things then I ask the question - why are you bothering Ron? The club will struggle to stay up with the current crop of players. Getting loan players in is a tactic - but they have to improve the team.

Some of the world-beaters we have lost to away: Yeovil, Exeter, Brentford, Gillingham (cup), Carlisle, Tranmere. Something is very wrong.

Do we have to pay Jabo's wages until the end of the loan even though he's suspended or can we send him back now?

IIRC his loan runs out this week anyway along with Malone who played the last game of his loan spell today.

This was a game we should never have lost. The first half was fairly even though scrappy on a pretty hard pitch, but we should have been one up ( a missed header by Ibehre) before they scored. Ibehre should also have equalised, again with a header, before half time.
Second half was all Blues with Exeter confined to occasional breakaways and for long periods of time we were camped in their half, with our midfield running proceedings. Truth is though that our final ball usually lacked any quality and their keeper did not have to make any serious save until the last 10 minutes.
Both sendings off were correct-McCormack could have had his leg broken by Corr and Ibehre raised his hands and shoved their guy to the ground.
Plenty of endeavour from the Blues and they certainly couldn’t be faulted for effort, but very little end product and an opportunity for at least a point and probably three wasted, in my opinion.

Mildenhall-6- Should have come or stayed on his line for their goal, though no chance with the shot itself and sound enough with what else he needed to do.
Francis -6- Defensivly ok but some wayward passing.
Morrison -7- Done for pace once in the second half as we pushed foward but like Barret pretty solid.
Barrett -7- Sound.
Malone -4- Nearly all Exeters attacking threat came down our left flank. Went AWOL for their goal, caught in possession several times and, after a couple of good crosses early in the match, his distribution was dross.
Grant -6- Plenty of effort.
McCormack -5-Tried hard, tackled hard but some of his forward passing was dreadful.
Moussa -6- Like Grant, plenty of effort.
Laurent -5- Got clattered early and a bit anonymous after that.
Barnard -6- Buzzed about and two half chances second half but lacked a decent supply.
Ibehre -5- Chased everything down and put his self about but his two missed headers in the first half probably cost us the game. Sending off was completely unnecessary and set us back at a time when we were getting in total control.

SUBS
Scannell -5- Little impact
Walker -6- Tried to run at defenders but no end product.

Ref -6- I thought he had a great match for 75 minutes, let the game flow and certainly not a “homer.” Almost lost control for the last quarter after Ibehre’s red card, hence 6 rather than 8.

Some of the world-beaters we have lost to away: Yeovil, Exeter, Brentford, Gillingham (cup), Carlisle, Tranmere. Something is very wrong.

Yep we have played most of the bottom half away so far. Makes that away record look even worse. Still have the likes of Leeds, Soton, Norwich, MK dons and Col U to play away next year.

Back