• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Exeter City v Southend United, Saturday 17th April 12.30pm, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • John White

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • James Olayinka

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

• Emile Acquah

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Greg Halford

• Matt Rush

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Win

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 08.55.44.png

What could be nicer than a trip down to Devon at this time of year? Nothing, especially if we come back with the three points!

Phil Brown will have had a week with the squad to try to inject some confidence along with his tactical methodology and we'll see on Saturday lunchtime if his wise old head was worth investing in for the run in.

Six months ago when the high-flying Grecians visited Roots Hall, we very nearly picked up our first win of the season until Alex Fisher's worldy equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time broke our hearts. Before the game we probably would have taken this as a creditable draw, but at the time it felt like a defeat. Had he scuffed his shot, or Oxley saved it, or the ref blown for full-time a few seconds earlier then we'd be 2 points closer to safety now - but then as the saying goes, "if my auntie had...." well you know the rest!

Phil Brown and the Exeter City team both made the long trip up to Barrow on Tuesday evening - one would hope that the trip was insightful for Phil, watching 2 of our final 5 opponents, and knackering for the Exeter team who sit just outside the play-offs.

Form-wise, there's not a lot between us so on paper anyway we've got a chance to get the three points we so desperately need.

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 09.05.27.png

In team news, it seems unlikely that Dieng will make this one, and I'm unsure whether White or Macca will be fit either - but if they are then it would seem likely that Phil, who loves an experienced pro, would recall them.

He made some interesting comments about Louis Walsh to Chris Phillips too so maybe he could be a surprise starter.

On the day that HRH Prince Phillip will be laid to rest, let's hope our league status doesn't suffer the same fate. Anyway, if you were wearing Phil's natty silk scarf - what would be the team you'd choose?

Last edited:
I've gone 433, but think we're better at sticking to 442 - trying to shoehorn Holmes and Ola into the side tho... so;

Oxley
Elvis
Hobson
Cordner
Clifford
JDemz
Macca
Fergie
Holmes
Sim
Ola

Gives us a bit of flexibility if we nick a goal to pull holmes and Ola back in a 451.

Give Sim a go up top too rather than wide left.

In an alternate universe I have Egbri and Walsh wide in a 442 with Acquah and Sim up top. OPTIONS!

Going for a win!!

I hope we don't pick the favourite or "best" 11 players and try and put them in a formation. Always results in players playing out of position and formations that don't work.

PB I hope will decide how he wants to play and then pick the team that's best able to deliver.

Oxley
Elvis Hobson White Clifford
Demi Taylor Ferguson RHF
Holmes
Akinola

Would my guess

Olayinka probably not yet fit enough
Tough on Cordner but JW brings that organisation at the back
JW wide right as PB tends to like one genuine winger and one RM in a 442 or 4411
Holmes in that free role as 1. he will start and 2. He is likely to make best use of it.

I only live two hours from Exeter, and if I thought it would do the slightest good would motor up and rally the troops as they got off the bus.
BUT, would I be allowed close enough; would I get a wi-fi signal on a phone to see the match from outside the ground, and would one supporter make that much of a difference?
Got to be worth a try.

Lets go with experience. !!
Only playing Halford up front instead of Acquah due to his long throw's.
If White unfit. Cordner. Macca Unfit Demi. Olay unfit Akinola.

Oxley
Elvis. Hobson. White. Clifford.
A.N.G. Macca. Ferguson. Olayinka.
Halford. Holmes.

Subs Seadon. Hart. Cordner. K Taylor. Demi. Akinola. Acquah.

On top of which, although he talks probably too much to the ref, he certainly gets in the refs ear and swings decisions our way over the course of a game, similar to Macca. Most importantly though hes constantly directing play based on the managers in-game instructions and organising the back 4 in JWs absence at the back. No idea if will stay captain on JWs return but either is fine with me

Any news from within the camp? Be interested to hear how the dynamic has shifted if you’ve snaffled any info ?

I only live two hours from Exeter, and if I thought it would do the slightest good would motor up and rally the troops as they got off the bus.
BUT, would I be allowed close enough; would I get a wi-fi signal on a phone to see the match from outside the ground, and would one supporter make that much of a difference?

I've been thinking exactly the same - only two hours for me and it might be nice to have a decent drive for a change. Plus it would be a chance to dig out the pink cravat. But then a dose of sanity kicks in.

Ah, but I merely said that two goals wasn't enough in October. Thus at least three goals are required for us. Three's my lucky number, and fortune comes in threes. We just need a Massive Attack. :Thumbs up:

Let's hope that two goals (or even one) will be enough for a win on Saturday.On previous form we'll do well to better that.Three would be fantastic of course.

View attachment 15242

What could be nicer than a trip down to Devon at this time of year? Nothing, especially if we come back with the three points!

Phil Brown will have had a week with the squad to try to inject some confidence along with his tactical methodology and we'll see on Saturday lunchtime if his wise old head was worth investing in for the run in.

Six months ago when the high-flying Grecians visited Roots Hall, we very nearly picked up our first win of the season until Alex Fisher's worldy equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time broke our hearts. Before the game we probably would have taken this as a creditable draw, but at the time it felt like a defeat. Had he scuffed his shot, or Oxley saved it, or the ref blown for full-time a few seconds earlier then we'd be 2 points closer to safety now - but then as the saying goes, "if my auntie had...." well you know the rest!

Phil Brown and the Exeter City team both made the long trip up to Barrow on Tuesday evening - one would hope that the trip was insightful for Phil, watching 2 of our final 5 opponents, and knackering for the Exeter team who sit just outside the play-offs.

Form-wise, there's not a lot between us so on paper anyway we've got a chance to get the three points we so desperately need.

View attachment 15243

In team news, it seems unlikely that Dieng will make this one, and I'm unsure whether White or Macca will be fit either - but if they are then it would seem likely that Phil, who loves an experienced pro, would recall them.

He made some interesting comments about Louis Walsh to Chris Phillips too so maybe he could be a surprise starter.

On the day that HRH Prince Phillip will be laid to rest, let's hope our league status doesn't suffer the same fate. Anyway, if you were wearing Phil's natty silk scarf - what would be the team you'd choose?
Agreed it is a nice day out.

I remember driving there an back for a crucial end of season game and we got a late Micheal Timlin winner.

Let's hope we get the same result tomorrow...come on you Blues we can do this.

Have tried in vain to join Exeweb, the City fans forum to ask whether getting through that clump of trees on Well St in the north-west corner (check out the ground guide) affords a view?
It looks as if it should, but...
Herself has commandeered the car, so might have to check trains, but not looking as good as it was...

Back