• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jimmych

Schoolboy
We worked extremely hard and took our chances against a very poor side. Exeter looked like relegation fodder, but inconsistency is what defines this division.

Each of our midfielders ran their socks off and endlessly pressed the opposition and Exeter failed to create much. Anything that passed through the midfield was dealt with by our defence and Bentley never really looked like being beaten despite making a couple of clever stops.

The goals were well worked, albeit both finishes a bit scrappy and we had a couple of decent chances to wrap it up in the second half.

My man of the match was Timlin for his workrate; endlessly nicking off the opposition or making clever interceptions.

An impressive performance.

This to me was a benchmark result. Exeter generally is a tough place to go, but their home form has been poor of late. You can only beat what's in front of you and for the third game running we had a two nil lead and game won by half time. The team is a TEAM, and fight for each other, cover for each other. Full praise to PB to produce this kind of football under difficult circumstances. He has signed players very well. Consistency is key now though. Next few games are winnable especially next Saturday. But, this season we have won three on the bounce then lost a couple. For the record is there any team that you know of that has won all their games without conceding. That is some stat.

It seems that many of the players have been saluting the fans who travelled today. Well done to you as it seems you may have been the twelfth man. Same again for all three stands next Saturday please COYB!

Last edited:
Unlike at the beginning of the season I genuinely believe there is a strong team spirit amongst the squad now. They aren't doubting each other's abilities anymore which let's the team express themselves. Hopefully this recent run of good results will encourage more people to turn up next Saturday for a fiver and hopefully the team will produce another good display and gain another 3 points. The way Phil Brown has got the team playing is brilliant. The players look like there fitness levels are better compared to when Sturrock was leader of the ship and they are playing attractive, proper football. The only problem I still have with the team is that they keep trying to play like Barcelona by passing the ball into the net. They should work on their finishing and perhaps be encouraged more to take a chance from long range.

They should work on their finishing and perhaps be encouraged more to take a chance from long range.

Agree. Fantastic team spirit and work ethic. This is the key weakness for me atm. For the possession we've had we should turn them into more goals. However, now Woodrow has bagged his first league goal hopefully he will get more if allowed to play as an out and out striker.

Agree. Fantastic team spirit and work ethic. This is the key weakness for me atm. For the possession we've had we should turn them into more goals. However, now Woodrow has bagged his first league goal hopefully he will get more if allowed to play as an out and out striker.

Havent we just won three on the spin reading 3 nil 3nil and 2 nil.......lack of goals?????

Agree with the sentiments above. Exeter were poor, but whenever we lost the ball, we were at them like a pack. The two centre halves played particularly well, but Timlin for me was the key player - he seems to have endless energy. Equally if we're playing one up front (which seems to suit us better) Woodrow plays that role better than Corr as his movement is better and also his first touch. Straker continues to mesmerise.

Were Exeter poor? Or did a very combative hard working SUFC make them look bad, credit where credit is due :thumbsup:

Exeter are lacking in confidence, but they aren't a bad team. We bossed them throughout. Straker was very impressive, a cut above their defence.

Nice tweet from Hurst earlier:

"Played at a few clubs in my career, but the support from you guys is really driving us forward #phenomenal #bigword safe journey home #UTB"

Few other players tweeting about the support today. 255 to Exeter is pretty good. Anyone else think the home kit looks better with white shorts and blue socks rather than the other way round?

Havent we just won three on the spin reading 3 nil 3nil and 2 nil.......lack of goals?????

True and I'm being a bit picky but they'll be games where we need to score to take control. We should have bagged our chances away at Newport.

Why are we so quick to describe the opposition as poor when we put in a top class performance??

We are so hard on ourselves at times, enjoy it while it lasts... this is SUFC after all :winking:

Why are we so quick to describe the opposition as poor when we put in a top class performance??

We are so hard on ourselves at times, enjoy it while it lasts... this is SUFC after all :winking:

Indeed we had to work hard to make them look poor. However, I think Tisdale got his starting eleven wrong. The Flynn chappie should have started for them. Never mind eh?

True and I'm being a bit picky but they'll be games where we need to score to take control. We should have bagged our chances away at Newport.

I know there have been a few games this season where we missed chances particuarly at vital moments. A fit freddy coming back right now would bolster this squad nicely

super performance from back midfield and strikers every player out there deserves all the pludits .Long may it continue .Fans didn't like Phil Brown but his style of play has rejuvenated Southend united and they really are fun to watch . UTB :thumbsup:

We made Exeter look poor, like we made Mansfield look poor.

We hassled everything, chased everything and were Germanesque in our organisation. Superb performance from everyone. And Ryan Leonard is turning into a top, top player.

We were excellent. On a par with how we played at Chesterfield a couple of months ago. Timlin really stood out as detailed above but I thought the defence were excellent. I don't know why Exeter took off the little fella as he was their only hope of getting into the game but overall, I couldn't tell if Exeter were good or bad because I just didn't see them get too much of a chance to do much with the ball such was our tenacity in closing them down. Overheard the guy next to me say "when did we ever win all the second balls before?" Summed it up nicely.

A fit again Timlin is a huge plus. From reports he seems to be back to his best.

Why do we not give our team the praise they deserve!!.

Two decent teams played away, five goals scored. none against. and they worked there socks off for each other.
Both games more or less won by half time. Against teams we controlled who have good records.
Yes we controlled and sat back and soaked up pressure. Did not have a goal scored against us.
Give the team credit not say other teams were poor!
Southend are a good team especially at this level. Consitancy will come. If we dont get a lot injury's.
If so we will be totally in the mix come MAY.

Last edited:
Back