• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In the Plymouth thread somebody said that we will be near the bottom of the table. Personally, although we are having issues signing players feel our squad is more than capable of reaching play offs! First of all we have a fit Barry corr who I feel will be instrumental to our success, alongside a Freddy Eastwood who we all know is more than capable!

I would also like to add that although phil brown is often deemed to be a clown, report from inside the training ground is that he is a very good manager indeed! A manager who gives opportunities to our youngsters and somebody capable of squeezing the very best out of what we have! So cut the negativity and get behind the boys as I feel we can achieve great things this season, if only we believe

In the Plymouth thread somebody said that we will be near the bottom of the table. Personally, although we are having issues signing players feel our squad is more than capable of reaching play offs! First of all we have a fit Barry corr who I feel will be instrumental to our success, alongside a Freddy Eastwood who we all know is more than capable!

I would also like to add that although phil brown is often deemed to be a clown, report from inside the training ground is that he is a very good manager indeed! A manager who gives opportunities to our youngsters and somebody capable of squeezing the very best out of what we have! So cut the negativity and get behind the boys as I feel we can achieve great things this season, if only we believe

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200713-madrid-squad-933541.aspx

Not been a lover of Brown so far but he does seem to be giving youngsters a go. I'll reserve judgement until 15 games in and I do like your positivity.

However, you need your head read if you think Eastwood is capable. Have you seen him in pre-season? He just doesn't cut the mustard. Last night, Jack Payne was pushed up front when Freddy went off and did more in 30 mins that Freddy did in pre-season and all last season. I think Freddy is finished

Not been a lover of Brown so far but he does seem to be giving youngsters a go. I'll reserve judgement until 15 games in and I do like your positivity.

However, you need your head read if you think Eastwood is capable. Have you seen him in pre-season? He just doesn't cut the mustard. Last night, Jack Payne was pushed up front when Freddy went off and did more in 30 mins that Freddy did in pre-season and all last season. I think Freddy is finished

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/200713-madrid-squad-933541.aspx

What's with the cryptic posts?

Are you implying that Brown doesn't give youngsters a chance as they were not included within the Madrid squad?

What's with the cryptic posts?

Are you implying that Brown doesn't give youngsters a chance as they were not included within the Madrid squad?

Dont ever question YB he knows everything and is never wrong. Lets revisit this thread in Jan to see how many youngsters have had game time.

Erm, I would expect mid table from the squad we have currently. If Brown adds well to it in the loan market he could do as well as Sturrock did (at times).

DWB, that's true mate. Ha Ha - I thought his responses was sarcastic. I was checking first.

In defence of Southend Schoolboys comments and also of our manager, I think it is evident that we will have to use our youngsters and that the managment seem interested and supportive in doing so. Even more so when you consider how many people jumped the gun over the summer about Brown only signing players in there 30's!!!

Pinnock and Auger were signed on pro terms on Brown's judgement over the summer, after one look at Payne he then snapped him up on a similar deal. Throw in to the mix the run of games he afforded Bentley at the end of last season and I would definatly argue against YB's usual sarcasm.

Maybe the reason the youngsters were not included in the trip to Madrid was down to finances....I am sure Brown was limited to that 18 player spaces and within that limited number he took his 14 senior players, a spare keeper (Youth) and three trialists!!!!! Don't forget, the elder Barker and Smith did not make the trip.

Ha Ha - I thought his responses was sarcastic. I was checking first.

In defence of Southend Schoolboys comments and also of our manager, I think it is evident that we will have to use our youngsters and that the managment seem interested and supportive in doing so. Even more so when you consider how many people jumped the gun over the summer about Brown only signing players in there 30's!!!

Pinnock and Auger were signed on pro terms on Brown's judgement over the summer, after one look at Payne he then snapped him up on a similar deal. Throw in to the mix the run of games he afforded Bentley at the end of last season and I would definatly argue against YB's usual sarcasm.

Maybe the reason the youngsters were not included in the trip to Madrid was down to finances....I am sure Brown was limited to that 18 player spaces and within that limited number he took his 14 senior players, a spare keeper (Youth) and three trialists!!!!! Don't forget, the elder Barker and Smith did not make the trip.

Maybe the youngsters dont have passports yet

It's one thing giving youngsters opportunities during pre-season friendlies when senior players are freely rotated so as to manage their fitness regimes, but it's an entirely different proposition to entrust them in matches with real meaning. I'll be interested to see if they, Payne in particular, feature much when the season actually begins.

I'm also not entirely convinced by Brown's use of our meagre budget to date. White looks to be a very astute signing, but evidently chasing the likes of Grant and Bailey was a complete waste of time. As I've said elsewhere, while Brown was doing that, our competitors were out securing realistic targets and assembling good sides. Scunthorpe in particular. I'd also question whether we needed to bring in both Shaw and Penney, especially with Coughlan already here. How Brown spends his budget is entirely up to him, of course - Sturrock obviously favoured diverting as much as possible to playing staff, Brown considers the coaching staff to be worthy of investment - but I personally don't see the need for a chief scout if we're intent on spending the foreseeable future under a transfer embargo.

But hey, how's Brown supposed to make time for TalkSport if he's got all this other stuff that needs doing? Like, you know, his job.

I think a massive problem over the last 4/5 seasons has been expectations being too high. For whatever reasons many supporters think we have some devine right to promotion, based on what I do not know. In a hundred odd years we have only a handful of promotions and two lower league titles to our names. Yet even this season peeps are expecting promotion. We have a functional first 11 and after that we are in deep poop. The club itself is on its knees and somehow hanging on to exsistence. A terrible home record has bloomed I believe due to an attitude of entitlement from too many fans, instead of playing our part and really backing the boys too many moan and groan when the standard is not too great, come on peeps get behind the boys and instead of suffering from unrealistic expectations lets see if we can be part of a positive UNITED southend and see if WE can help the lads achieve rather than sit there and expext to much

Weve lost about 40 goals from last season. Thats my biggest worry. Seems very little pace in the team and very few goals from midfield or defence. Putting a lot of the burden on Freddy and Corr to a) stay fit and b) provide at least 30 goals between them.

Personally I think jack Payne is a class act and if he took Eastwood's place I wouldn't be to displeased! Having played with all of the youth players coming through it is a delight for me to see that Brown is offering the youth boys a chance which wasn't always the case with sturrock!

I agree that maybe my expectations are maybe slightly high but that's what comes natural to a fan like ourselves! Memories of the championship are still vivid and I just feel we are too big a club to be struggling in league 2! UTB

Where on earth does anybody get the impression that Freddy will contribute goals??? Just look at his record since leaving us. His record is awful. He has come back and if anything his record is getting worse. He has not had a great pre-season.
Please. On what does anybody base optimism on Freddy scoring more than five all season??

Where on earth does anybody get the impression that Freddy will contribute goals??? Just look at his record since leaving us. His record is awful. He has come back and if anything his record is getting worse. He has not had a great pre-season.
Please. On what does anybody base optimism on Freddy scoring more than five all season??

From the past I'm afraid.

Personally I think jack Payne is a class act and if he took Eastwood's place I wouldn't be to displeased! Having played with all of the youth players coming through it is a delight for me to see that Brown is offering the youth boys a chance which wasn't always the case with sturrock!

I agree that maybe my expectations are maybe slightly high but that's what comes natural to a fan like ourselves! Memories of the championship are still vivid and I just feel we are too big a club to be struggling in league 2! UTB

Is Payne not a midfielder?

Whether Freddy is past it or not, let's get behind him and the rest of the team with positivity from Saturday onwards.

Really hoping the youngsters come good although the trick is not to rush them and expect too much. Pinnock will also improve, he looks a proper wide player to me.

Please. On what does anybody base optimism on Freddy scoring more than five all season??[/QUOTE]

Kevin.....I will have a £20.00 and a pint of beer bet with you that Freddy scores six goals or more this season. The loser pays the £20 to the charity of the other persons choice!!!! The beer - well that's for either of us. You in?

All players need to be loved, Freddy even more so. He will never hit his previous heights but he still has that x factor. If he can get sharp, fitter and we can get behind him then he will play a big part this season. Let's get behind what is rare these days, that's a true club legend.

Please. On what does anybody base optimism on Freddy scoring more than five all season??[/QUOTE]

Kevin.....I will have a £20.00 and a pint of beer bet with you that Freddy scores six goals or more this season. The loser pays the £20 to the charity of the other persons choice!!!! The beer - well that's for either of us. You in?

All players need to be loved, Freddy even more so. He will never hit his previous heights but he still has that x factor. If he can get sharp, fitter and we can get behind him then he will play a big part this season. Let's get behind what is rare these days, that's a true club legend.

If Freddy no longer hits the heights and needs to be fitter how can be the x-factor? Not knocking him because hes looked sharp the few times I've seen him and the others at David Lloyds. And on that basis hoping hes been told to take it easy to prevent injury then go full pelt on sat. But not hitting heights but labelling as being the X-factor seems a bit contradictory. Can't have it both ways.

Lets get a couple of games under our belts before we write this season's Freddy Eastwood off.

Back