• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Experienced trio will be offered new deals at Southend United

I wonder if some of you actually watch any games just 6 months ago Shaun Hobson was being slagged galore. We looked like we would concede more than the record breaking previous season

Then JW came into the side and suddenly we could defend. Shaun had just what he needed, a great captain and great pro to give him some confidence.

JW will be the best money spent this summer. Even if he is only ever on the bench. He can play as centre half, sweeper, right or left back. If we had the equivalent up front we would have finished half way up L1

Demetriou will be taking the biggest drop if he stays. Not my idea of CM and even I could still embarrass him in a set piece competition.... But he is still a better RB than Elvis because your first and most important job is to be able to defend as a full back.

RIcky H proved that if used wisely and not on the wing, he will be well worth having in the NL.

Many of you have said we will be a big scalp in the NL. If we want to keep our hair in place we will need some character and strength in the dressing room. Why would you bin what you have and then go searching for the same thing all summer.

Looks like Macca and Halford are surplus, as most of us would surely agree.

I think he still has a year left on his contract

I believe his contract is up.

It was initially a 2-year contract, with an option for a third year. That ran out last summer, and we opted to sign him up for a further & final season, which will expire next month.

He won’t be here next season.

Losing mentality??? We lost what 5/6 games or something in 2021, there were teams higher than us that lost more during that time. White was part of a solid defence and never lets the team down. It was the lack of goals that got us relegated in the end. White of the three is the one i would keep. JD cant see what he offers other than running around and kicking people and putting in hopeless set pieces, Holmes looked better under Brown and if played in the right way could be useful in NL
Ok, relegation and failure mentality then.

I believe his contract is up.

It was initially a 2-year contract, with an option for a third year. That ran out last summer, and we opted to sign him up for a further & final season, which will expire next month.

He won’t be here next season.
You're probably right in the sense that he can easily play at a higher level but in an era obsessed with psychology and effing stats it's possible that clubs further up will be put off due to him having suffered two consecutive relegations. And of course it was PB who gave Elvis his debut so it might be that PB can convince him to stay. All straw-clutching of course.

Actually, my memory of Shaun six months ago was one of hit and miss.
He improved dramatically since the start of the season, but was more than capable of a bad game.
He is reasonably quick and robust, but the finer points of the game elude him for the time being.
He needs a partner, and if that partner is White, I won't complain.
Demi?
This is the man, lest ye forget, forced to stand in front of his team-mates by CP and apologise for a blatant piece of thuggery while playing for Cyprus.
Not just a mis-timed tackle but a deliberate vicious swipe that may have caused permanent damage.
He has no mute button, does he?
OK, he brings a heap of yellows, and yes, he's had his fair share of good days, but is he really the right-back answer?

You're probably right in the sense that he can easily play at a higher level but in an era obsessed with psychology and effing stats it's possible that clubs further up will be put off due to him having suffered two consecutive relegations. And of course it was PB who gave Elvis his debut so it might be that PB can convince him to stay. All straw-clutching of course.

You’ve got a point. Add to that the uncertainty of the upcoming season with regards to clubs finances post-Covid, and there’s an air of uncertainty, for sure.

However, he certainly had his suitors last summer, and that was off the back of two disastrous relegation-fodder campaigns. At least one Championship club were in negotiations with his representatives, but Uncle Ron put a stop to that, by triggering the extension clause (and rightly so).

Time will tell of course, and hopefully I’ll be proven wrong, but I’ll stick by my gut feeling that he won’t be here next season.

There’s at least one club from Lg2 who are keen on Demi right now, but I’d expect him to stay, continue working towards his badges and then move into a full time coaching role in a year or two.
Nursing home more likely.

Once players reach a certain age decline becomes a factor. It comes to all, for sure to some quicker than others, but it cannot be avoided.
Experience suggests there is no guarantee that a player in his early to mid thirties can maintain the level or performance achieved during the previous season.
This factor needs to be considered as older more experienced players tend to be on the highest wages.
There are risks attached to signing older players. That is not to say we should never sign one but having too many on the books is inviting entirely avoidable problems.
It is not as if we have not seen versions of this play out during the past few seasons.

John White ....yes
Ricky Holmes....prove fitness first.
Jason Demetriou....As a RB only!
He was one of out best players when brown took over! He was getting fitter and looked better every time he played ! Give him a proper preseason under brown and he will be without doubt the best player in the national league! Hes the sort of player we need and the other smaller clubs in this division will be s.....ing!! Themselves!!

He was one of out best players when brown took over! He was getting fitter and looked better every time he played ! Give him a proper preseason under brown and he will be without doubt the best player in the national league! Hes the sort of player we need and the other smaller clubs in this division will be s.....ing!! Themselves!!

He won't have a preseason he's got a broken ankle.

Baffling offering him a contract in my eyes. 34 years old and played 44 times since 2018 whilst getting older all the time.

I get he's a Southend fan and he's committed, but I personally didn't see anything near enough from him to think he'd be worth the wages.

He won't have a preseason he's got a broken ankle.

Baffling offering him a contract in my eyes. 34 years old and played 44 times since 2018 whilst getting older all the time.

I get he's a Southend fan and he's committed, but I personally didn't see anything near enough from him to think he'd be worth the wages.
Hmm...
He is out for 6 weeks so he will be back by the first day of pre-season
The bit about his injury, how he recovered from it is done to death but his fitness is not a problem
You have no idea what wages he will be offered or accept?
He knows the NL well having played in it and looked very good under Brown (who by the way is the best judge of whether he is worth a contract?)
I’m baffled that you are baffled :-)

Back