• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Experienced trio will be offered new deals at Southend United

White I get, although I do still worry that he keeps missing chunks of the season but I think the pro's outweigh the cons with him. Holmes I'm quite surprised about as he really was extremely disappointing this season, we only really saw him play a few ok games way to late. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to see a Holmes from 5 years ago playing for us but I was expecting more from him, games just past him by.

Regarding Demi, I've never really been a fan. Thought he was ok at right back without having any attacking presence really but CM, it'll literally makes me feel sick. His corners and set plays are awful and he played too big of a role in this season for me, too much authority given to a bang average player at best. I actually find it painful watching him a CM. I will never say I don't think he's trying, I just don't think he's that great. If the plan is for him to be a constant player through out the whole season next season, then that says a lot for me.

Fred Wedlock was the oldest swinger in town but I suspect he may be deposed by a Blues player. I genuinely hope we will not return to the days of experience over ability. Experience and ability is fine but let's hope the three mentioned are the oldest of any senior pros we will have.
It might be the national League but I want to see pace and movement.

Regarding Demi, I've never really been a fan. Thought he was ok at right back without having any attacking presence really but CM, it'll literally makes me feel sick. His corners and set plays are awful and he played too big of a role in this season for me, too much authority given to a bang average player at best. I actually find it painful watching him a CM. I will never say I don't think he's trying, I just don't think he's that great.

Pretty much my opinion on JD. He's also unnecessarily mouthy, which some might say is a good thing, but I think he goes too far in almost every game. Very limited in ability, but there are the odd flashes of a footballer which may be more consistent this coming season with the drop down. Totally agree he is out of his depth in midfield.

Someone posted one of phil browns teams when we were in the 1st div in another thread, in defense were JW and JD, sort of makes you think if this is a good idea.... and please dont let jd near midfield ever again.

Demi needs to play wide right in a 4-4-2 IMHO opinion this is his best position , assuming the role of a Carl Petterfer , Mark Bentley or Will Atkinson - loads of energy , covering others positions, doing the right thing. He played most of his entire career there. He's still got the legs , as long as we manage his knees & Brown allows him to not train too much. I'm really hoping we can persuade Elvis to stay , as having Demi tucking in allows an attacking full back like Elvis to overlap will bring the best out of him. Elvis suffered this season as he had less competent right wingers in front of him who couldnt defend properly so was so often left exposed.

John White is quality , reliable & versatile so great news. Very happy with this.

Ricky Holmes , i'm sad to say , his legs have gone a tad so i dont think he can play on the wing . However , when he played up top or in the number 10 role he was a revelation , getting his body in the way cleverly and using his excellent football brain do the talking. The likes of Matt Rush can learn from Holmes & excel this season against poorer quality defences.

Overall its a very promising pre season so far - a decent manager & #2 in place , signing up players already .... experienced & committed ex-players possibly coaching us...........whether its down to Stan or not , Southend United suddenly appears to be heading back in the right direction. UTB

Really dont get the White love at all, we can do better - please at least get a new captain Phil.

JD is ok if its on less money and he's rb cover. A non-entity in MF.

Holmes I thought was superb under Brown at the end of the season. Seemed to be one of the only players that cared and was trying his guts out. Happy to have that attitude next season and I'd make him skipper.

Fred Wedlock was the oldest swinger in town but I suspect he may be deposed by a Blues player. I genuinely hope we will not return to the days of experience over ability. Experience and ability is fine but let's hope the three mentioned are the oldest of any senior pros we will have.
It might be the national League but I want to see pace and movement.
Ha ha, one for the kids there...

"People like John White and Jason Demetriou, who were here first time around, will be offered new deals for sure."

Wasn't Ox here first time round as well?

And just because people are offered a deal, doesn't mean they'll accept. There are also some coaching roles available, and I wonder if some of these will be player/coach

"People like John White and Jason Demetriou, who were here first time around, will be offered new deals for sure."

Wasn't Ox here first time round as well?

And just because people are offered a deal, doesn't mean they'll accept. There are also some coaching roles available, and I wonder if some of these will be player/coach
Can any of them remember anything other then relegations? Hope im wrong but id like a more clean slate and to remove the loser mentality.

Back