• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Experienced trio will be offered new deals at Southend United

Deegan couldn't play. Both Peter Butler and TIms could.

Well of course Butler is way ahead but Deegan was lot more 'effective' than many on here give him credit for.

PB signed him for next to nothing wages on a 3 month deal. PB liked to be first to the training ground of a morning but Deegan would already be there in the gym. He likes that sort of thing. Where as Bond would leave instructions with all the threat of a supply teacher and players would just skive off.

The best bit of his game was he could put teams under pressure high up the pitch. Young fans wont believe me if I told them i have seen 50/50 tackles won less than 30 yds from the oppos goal. it rubs off on others and then the whole team seem to be on the front foot and higher up the pitch.

.All we have seen for 3 seasons is our back 4 under pressure and losing those tackles. If you were paying attention in the first game v Harrogate you might understand what i mean when I say 'effective'. We lost all confidence and took about 12 games to recover.

As for the rather pathetic "He is a yellow card waiting to happen" post on every match day.......It turned out nearly every game Deegan started and was carded we never lost. Including the 2 times he was shown a red.

Just watched it again, and hope you're not a surgeon by day.
I'd like anyone operating on me to know the difference between ankle and knee.
It's not a whinge, is it?
It's a preference for a bit of honour rather than the cynicism that may also be ruining the game.
Nah. Don't fancy any of the first three, and not only because they lack drive.
Tough tackling a la Timlin and that Demi foul for Cyprus?
Not the same postcode; not even the same county!
That's the same timlin that assaulted Ben the physio on the training ground with punches is it? Yes I see what you mean now! The two personalities are very different and one could be a concen, but not the one you're highlighting, and you're spot on, those two are different postcodes etc... but as before, everyone has their own views which is all good.

Last edited:
Well of course Butler is way ahead but Deegan was lot more 'effective' than many on here give him credit for.

PB signed him for next to nothing wages on a 3 month deal. PB liked to be first to the training ground of a morning but Deegan would already be there in the gym. He likes that sort of thing. Where as Bond would leave instructions with all the threat of a supply teacher and players would just skive off.

The best bit of his game was he could put teams under pressure high up the pitch. Young fans wont believe me if I told them i have seen 50/50 tackles won less than 30 yds from the oppos goal. it rubs off on others and then the whole team seem to be on the front foot and higher up the pitch.

.All we have seen for 3 seasons is our back 4 under pressure and losing those tackles. If you were paying attention in the first game v Harrogate you might understand what i mean when I say 'effective'. We lost all confidence and took about 12 games to recover.

As for the rather pathetic "He is a yellow card waiting to happen" post on every match day.......It turned out nearly every game Deegan started and was carded we never lost. Including the 2 times he was shown a red.

Agree about PB.When I said that Deegan couldn't play.I certainly didn't mean he couldn't tackIe! I meant he couldn't play with the ball at his feet which both PB and Tims could.

You'll excuse me ( I hope) if I try and erase the memory of that Harrogate game from my mind.

Deegan eventually finished up at Cambridge United I believe.I understand from my CU supporting mate here that he didn't exactly pull up any trees for them either.Would have liked to have said he probably found his true level but you're right we could have used someone like him last season ,which is precisely why JD was eventually drafted into midfield ,of course.

Last edited:
Well the good news is next season under PB the team will be fitter, work harder off the ball, be expected to block a shot with more conviction than the Blue Bells, make a few tackles and yes take one for the team.

If someone has to do it in the 95th minute to ensure a win i hope PB makes then stand up in the dressing room and gets the rest of team to applaud them.
I agree with everything apart from the potential nature of the 95th tackle.
If it endangers a player, I'll suffer the defeat should it come to that.
No honour; no point, is there?

That's the same timlin that assaulted Ben the physio on the training ground with punches is it? Yes I see what you mean now! The two personalities are very different and one could be a concen, but not the one you're highlighting

Don’t forget Timlin’s stint in the steel hotel at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

In fact, we need to be careful as our employee history, from managers down to youth teamers, both on and off the field, isn’t exactly a bastion of honour.

Don’t forget Timlin’s stint in the steel hotel at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

In fact, we need to be careful as our employee history, from managers down to youth teamers, both on and off the field, isn’t exactly a bastion of honour.

We've had a few ex-residents of the Grey Bar Hotel. Ricky Otto for another - he wasn't bad.

Reactions: GBJ
Even ranger is a very likeable guy and personable when not in gangster mode! Theres good and bad in us all to varying degrees but when youre in the public eye to a degree I guess there's a responsibility that goes with it when in public.

Even ranger is a very likeable guy and personable when not in gangster mode! Theres good and bad in us all to varying degrees but when youre in the public eye to a degree I guess there's a responsibility that goes with it when in public.
Oh yeah from everything I've heard he's great to be around most of the time just has absolutely zero impulse control.

People are to some extent the product of their environment. Seem to remember Tims address at the time of his offence was Pomeroy Street in Peckham ( having lived in Lewisham for a few years let’s say an exciting part of the world to live)
Ranger comes from Wood Green. My daughter had a flat there till last year. A couple of shootings and a stabbing or two whilst she was there. You had the Wood Green gangs one end of Lordship Lane and then the Tottenham lot the other end. So many youngsters drawn in one way or another..

The times I came across Nile (usually in RH car park before a game) he was always keen to have a chat and a good guy when not in gangster mode like you say. It's certainly a shame for that reason because there is still some good in him.

I have an answer which you already know.
When you wrote: 'I hate losing' it was exactly what Trump said.
Thought we were talking about football not politics? As football goes, would much rather we hated losing than if we made it a habit. Each to their own regardless...

Back