• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Expiring Contracts

well Smith, Corbett, Bramble and Kights in my opinion wont be here next season.

i reckon smith will get a rolling contract because of the quality he posseses and they'll see how he does in preseason training by then he should have recovered and then if all goes well and he doesnt pick up any more injuries we may well see the old Jay Smith! Heres Hoping!

I hope smith is! Quality! Imagine the midfield all fully fit with a choice of Smith, Bentley, Maher,Gower, Petts, Nicolau, Guttridge, quality! Who knows maybe even McCormack if we get promoted and depending on Preston.

I really like Jay Smith, one of my favourite players just i dont think he will be given a contract because of his injurys

I can understand where you are coming from with that he is one of my favourite players and i would hate to see him leave but it is up to Tilly and whatever he does I will not argue because all the decisions on personnel so far have been pretty damn good!

I am almost certain that Edwards was only given a 1 year deal last summer. I remember because I found it strange at the time that Prior was offered a 2 year deal given that they are the same age.

Whoahhhhh! That's English for Stop a horse!

Can we all remember that Jay Smith, rather than being struck out with a recurring injury of any sort, was cropped by a very dodgy tackle about a year ago. Now I know he hasn't played a lot of games but I'm not sure it's fair to write him off as injury prone if he was injured as the result of a really bad tackle as he was coming back from injury.

He's got great talent and I would definitely give him another rolling contract because of that talent. It would be terrible for the club if he then went elsewhere and started playing regularly.

Smith will be a like a new signing next season when he's fully fit with a pre-season behind him. He's still arguably the most talented player we have. I really hope he's given some sort of contract.

I'd really like Corbett to get some kind of deal. He's been fully fit for a while now and seemingly is a lot trimmer and fitter, whilst playing pretty well for the reserves. It'd be good to see him get himself back in the team.

I'd also give Kightly a new deal. He's got bags of potential and is still very young. I can't seem to understand the negativity towards him on here. It's hardly as if he's been around for ages is it! He was only a youth player 18 months ago.

Get rid of Corbett, Nicolau, Kightly, Edwards.

Give Smith a rolling contract.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 15 2005,08:17)]Get rid of Corbett, Nicolau, Kightly, Edwards.

Give Smith a rolling contract.
A bit harsh on Nicolau, i think he's done well this season. How can you say get rid of Nicky but keep Jay Smith? Where's the logic there?
I would like to see Jay stay though.

Its all if's really. If Jay Smith regains his form and ability (not guaranteed after protracted injuries) then he is a fantastic asset. If Corbett could regain some of the early career ability he possessed then again what an asset. If Kightly can fulfil the potential he would be a good pro. If Prior could find the legs for another season at a higher level then great. If Edwards can be a bit part player fine. Its all ifs. We dont even know if Gutteridge is an asset or liability yet. The squad has a good nucleus and will withstand some comings and goings in the preseason. Tilly has to find the inspiration to replace with better and to ignore sentiment. Its always sad to see our personal favourites go but sometimes our judgement as fans is clouded by sentiment as well. Long live Tilly! His judgement so far has not disappointed me.

I would like to see Smith given a monthly rolling deal, for the reasons given in previous posts,

and Corbett maybe a 3 month contract, with an option for longer if he proves his fitness

Smith will be here next year, so dont worry.

Corbett will not be here, nor will Kights

There was the Jupp saga so who knows

Also why would Nicolau want to stay at a club whose manager fefuses to let him show his potential, feel he has been treated really unfairly, and feel he will be first out of the door, reall hope im wrong though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ April 15 2005,09:43)]Also why would Nicolau want to stay at a club whose manager fefuses to let him show his potential, feel he has been treated really unfairly, and feel he will be first out of the door, reall hope im wrong though.
Nicolau is bigger than Southend United. I'm sure there are no end of big clubs queueing up for his services.

I know we are second in the league without any real contribution from Nicolau whatsoever but that still doesn't change the basis of my argument.

Back