• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which players would you offer a new contract to?

• Total voters

Pubey

After the news that Hurst has signed a new deal. Here are the players whose contracts are expiring:

Paul Smith

Mark Phillips
Ryan Auger
Julian Bennett

Anthony Straker
Ryan Leonard
Marc Laird
Jack Payne
Bedsente Gomis

Freddy Eastwood
Seedy Njie
Lee Barnard

We have options to extend some of these, and I've included Barnard because 'he was loaned with a view to a permanent deal (whatever that means)

Who would you be busting a gut to get tied down to a new deal? Who would you release to allow some fresh legs to come in?

Difficult to say really, too many there I've not seen play - it also depends on who else is available.

Bennett, Laird, Leonard and Payne would top my list though.

New deals for Leonard, Laird and Payne. If Straker can actually be consistently decent until the end of the season then I'd keep him as well. Smith is adequate as back-up but think he'll move on for pastures new.

Laird and Leonard for sure. Auger one year to see how he progresses, probably try and get a Conference side to take him on loan. Bennett possibly on a pay as you play deal. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd probably offered Straker another year, on a reduced deal though.

The rest I'd look to replace. Smith is earning too much to bench warm, so releasing him would be hugely beneficial to our finances. Phillips legs have sadly gone, so would look to replace him. Gomis, hasn't featured or impressed and we have a good level of midfilders anyway. As far as I understand, Eastwood won't be at Southend after this season anyway, so that decision would be out of my hands, and unless he signed on a reduced or pay as you play deal, sadly, it's a final goodbye to one of our finest sons. Seedy Njie, I just don't feel he's developed as hoped and would probably let go. Barnard I would reserve judgement on until the end of the season, if by then his fitness and performances haven't improved then no, but if with continued fitness we see him getting better, then it might be worth a punt. However, seeing as he's on c.10k at Saints, I doubt we could come to any sort of arrangement anyway.

A blank canvas happened when Paul Sturrock came in. I'd rather start with a few more than 5 players lined up.

Not too many I would keep personally. Perhaps give the kids a chance. In terms of the seniors.....errrrmmmm struggling to think who I would "bust a gut for" to sort out a new deal. Leonard at a push.

They are a very average bunch IMO, said that at the start of the season. We need much better if we have any real aspirations of going up and surviving without too much work to do.

Laird and Leonard for sure. Auger one year to see how he progresses, probably try and get a Conference side to take him on loan. Bennett possibly on a pay as you play deal. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd probably offered Straker another year, on a reduced deal though.

The rest I'd look to replace. Smith is earning too much to bench warm, so releasing him would be hugely beneficial to our finances. Phillips legs have sadly gone, so would look to replace him. Gomis, hasn't featured or impressed and we have a good level of midfilders anyway. As far as I understand, Eastwood won't be at Southend after this season anyway, so that decision would be out of my hands, and unless he signed on a reduced or pay as you play deal, sadly, it's a final goodbye to one of our finest sons. Seedy Njie, I just don't feel he's developed as hoped and would probably let go. Barnard I would reserve judgement on until the end of the season, if by then his fitness and performances haven't improved then no, but if with continued fitness we see him getting better, then it might be worth a punt. However, seeing as he's on c.10k at Saints, I doubt we could come to any sort of arrangement anyway.

Pretty much this :thumbsup:

Smith, Bennett, Eastwood would be earning a nice chunk of the wage budget so that is three quality players would could look to add.

Unless Freddy can show that early season form, I hear that he will be hanging up his boots at this level. Always a legend, it may sadly be time but with his wages free'd up, we could look to sign a real marquee replacement. Every cloud and all that. Sadly, I feel the same with Phillips - time to thank him for his services, do not make the same mistake that we did with Barker's extension.

Smith can leave and agree with Bennett on maybe a reduced contract till Xmas could be worthwhile for all parties - obviously with the clauses to suit all parties.

Keep Payne and get him on a low costing longer term deal, with Auger and Nije they have not progressed or impressed (training, ressies etc) otherwise Brown would use them - we are loaning other teams youngsters so that pretty much clarifies the thoughts on the latter two.

Lenny and Laird are must keeps, maybe 2 and 1 year respectively with the club having options.

Barney and Straker (Can't believe I am considering him) - would wait and see come late mid April

That's what I would so if I was at home playing FM in my pants :blush:

I'm surprised that Mark Phillips isn't getting much love. As a squad player he's perfect for League 2.

A blank canvas happened when Paul Sturrock came in. I'd rather start with a few more than 5 players lined up.

We actually already have most of our team under contract for next year:

Bentley
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Hurst Atkinson Timlin ....
Corr .....

Plus some youngsters inTed Smith, Clifford and Pinnock

To be fair many of our current squad aren't Brown signings. If Brown wants a blank canvas then so be it.

He might not have signed them originally, but he's given new deals to quite a few of them: Hurst, Bentley, Corr, Prosser, Timlin etc so if it isn't a blank canvas then that is by his choice.

Not too many I would keep personally. Perhaps give the kids a chance. In terms of the seniors.....errrrmmmm struggling to think who I would "bust a gut for" to sort out a new deal. Leonard at a push.

They are a very average bunch IMO, said that at the start of the season. We need much better if we have any real aspirations of going up and surviving without too much work to do.

Have you seen much of Leonard this season? He's been a cut above.

Auger, Straker, Leonard, Laird and Payne, and Freddy on a pay as you play (I haven't selected him above though).

Back