• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whose contract would you renew?

• Total voters
Truly shocked at the lack of support for MAF. The guy is an absolute pro who, in my eyes, has a good 18-24 months left in him at this level. He chips in with the odd goal, and his ability to hold the ball up and bring in other players in to the game is unrivalled in this squad and I've not seen many teams have a player with those qualities come to RH?

Big emphasis on the odd goal.

Truly shocked at the lack of support for MAF. The guy is an absolute pro who, in my eyes, has a good 18-24 months left in him at this level. He chips in with the odd goal, and his ability to hold the ball up and bring in other players in to the game is unrivalled in this squad and I've not seen many teams have a player with those qualities come to RH?

I like Fortune but he'll be 37 in July. If he's still playing well at the end of the season I'd offer him a contract but his age could easily catch up with him before the season is over, so it's too early to be thinking about offering him a deal. The same goes for Turner.

GK
Ted Smith - Not fussed, if we can get him on a cheap new contract and loan him out/develop him why not
Mark Oxley - Would definitely renew, last season before injury and this season he has shown he is a top keeper at this level

DEF
Ben Coker - Take the option and try and tie him down for longer
John White - Give him another year, great pro and does well when called upon, great squad player to fill in across back 4
Michael Turner - Not convinced yet plus the age thing worries me, Anton was great last season and failed this season, he's not been as good as Anton last season.

MID
Michael Timlin - Not Fussed, has been a great servant and if CP wants to keep him fair enough.
Anthony Wordsworth - Not Fussed, great on his day when fit but that doesn't happen enough for him to be a top paid player
Jermaine McGlashan - Would release, good effort and good impact sub but it's not enough
Josh Wright - Get rid, don't rate him at all, lightweight. Tidy but nothing more.

FWD
Simon Cox - extend for a year or 2 if we can get the right deal. Not one to break the bank for though
Marc-Antoine Fortune - Great for his age but now is the time to go

How is Ted Smith under 70% ?!!?

Are you suggesting he should be higher? I'm with OBL on this one, I think the chance is going to pass him by

He's fit now isn't he? Yet Bishop has still been on the bench ahead of him. Of course with a new manager everything could change

Are you suggesting he should be higher? I'm with OBL on this one, I think the chance is going to pass him by

He's fit now isn't he? Yet Bishop has still been on the bench ahead of him. Of course with a new manager everything could change

Ted Smith has had two separate injuries this season. That's the reason he has been missing from our bench.

He has proved to be more than good enough as a deputy goal keeper for a lower half L1 club, who can't afford to spend money on replacing/loaning deputy keepers.

GK
Ted Smith - Don't care. Would rather promote Bexon or Bishop and release Smith in all honesty
Mark Oxley - 100% keep. Name me a better GK in the league at the moment. I'll wait.

DEF
Ben Coker - One of our better players but I think he wants out. Renew for the year and try to cash in IMO. If he wants to stay then worth a longer contract.
John White - All depends on what SCP wants. I like White. Strong, professional, dependable, but I have no issue if he's released in order for us to bring in better quality.
Michael Turner - Missed a chunk due to injury, now injured again.
Actually been good when he's played but turning 35 this year and with Anton having an extra 18 months, I'd get rid.

MID
Michael Timlin - Bit of a legend in my eyes, will always be remembered for his all action play. But time seems to have caught up with him, although he still can do a job at CM on a rotation basis. Personally release.
Anthony Wordsworth - Last season was mustard, but first season and this season has spent most of it carrying an injury. To top it off with thinking he deserves more than we were offering. Cya
Jermaine McGlashan - Never really appealed to me. Release.
Josh Wright - Played out of position under PB. Be interesting to see if he picks up now but haven't seen anything that would make me go out my way to renew it. 14 goals last season for Gillls suggests there is a decent player in there if he's played the right way though.

FWD
Simon Cox - Again without a doubt renew it. One of the best strikers we've had in years, just completely mismanaged.
Marc-Antoine Fortune - Model professional and actually a bit of a favourite of mine currently. However, doesn't score enough and will be 37 next season. He can't go on forever. Release.

The main contracts we need to focus on, are the highest wage ones. It's all well and good discussing Ted Smith, but in reality he's probably very low down on the wage structure, which isn't detrimental to the club.

Considering the list, I'd assume White, Coker, Wright & Wordsworth would be on decent wages, with Cox being the highest out of the lot.

I'd keep White. He's a model professional, and a type of player every club needs.

Would certainly keep Coker. Great at this level, could have the potential to move up a level.

Wright - meh. Needs to show something different under Powell. So far he's not set the world alight.

Cox - meh. Another who hasn't exactly pulled up trees. Maybe things will change under new management, but if not I wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Smith : I'd offer him a cheap one year deal as back up.
Oxley : Two year deal

White : Maybe a one year deal as back up, dependent on targets
Turner : Not worth the risk, looking at wages v availability
Coker : One year, with an option to extend by a year. Since that first injury, he's not met his own high standards and struggles to stay fit. If he can stay fit and be the Coker of old, then fantastic.

Timlin : I'd offer a one year deal, incentivised by playing time, make him club captain, and try and get him on the coaching staff.
Wordsworth : As with Coker, a one year deal with an option to extend. A fit Wordsworth is a big asset to this side.
McGlashan : Release, not enough consistency, or end product for me.
Wright : Release, he's been ok, but his contribution doesn't really change or impact on games. Certain we can improve on him.

Cox : If we can play to his strengths, then worth another two years.
MAF : I really like MAF, he's class, holds the ball up really well, and brings others into play so well. But despite being fit, he can't consistently perform with the number of games we play, and will be fantastic one game, and then seems to hold his form into the next. So sadly, I'd probably say release the wages for someone new.

I think nearly all these players are what I'd classify as complementary players.

They're not the players you build around. Sort out the spine of the team first and then see if these players are the ones to fit around them.

It's not a case of whether they are good players but whether they are the right players.

To be honest, the only players I would be upset with leaving is Oxley, White and Coker. I would be upset with Coker leaving as although he has not been at his best this season he, has missed a lot due to injury. Cox is a strange one. I still don't think we have seen the best of him purely because we are not playing to his strengths - much like Wright who does not look comfortable apart from playing in his natural position of CM where he was excellent for Gillingham. I do think MAF is an excellent player and could give valuable experience for our younger players.

I think with CP now manager, I think (hope) we will see players improve and look more alive. Brown clearly lost the dressing room and there needed to be change. Hopefully Powell can get the players re-motivated and get the best playing out of them. I do think these are exciting times for us. Powell is the type of manager that I hope will motivate them. UTB

It's all well and good of getting rid of x or y, the biggest issue is to get someone better in, if some if our older players were a year or 2 younger would they be here, if they weren't injury prone they wouldn't be here.

I still believe in Ted Smith. He was so good when he first came into the team last season, played a blinder against Charlton and did well in other games. He's still young for a keeper but maybe needs a change to aid his development. I still want him to get the job done with us
Personally I thought he was unconvincing when he played in a number of games last season and not sure he will cut the grade in pro football

Interesting how this may have changed, particularly for Turner and Wordsworth given that it was when Turner hadn’t been back that long and Wordsworth has done the square root of nothing since.

Wright has activated a clause to extend his contract since.

Will post up a new poll after the Bristol Rovers game.

For me it would all depend on wages for most of them. For example Cox may want 3x the amount MAF wants which to me wouldnt offer value for money despite being the better player. Wordsworth while very talented can't warrant expecting good wages after a season of crap so happy to release if he does.

Totally agree:thumbsup:

I would guess that Turner and Wordsworth might have now switched places on the Keep percentages. Turner must be on decent money but has played really well under CP. So if CP feels he can improve for the same wage good luck and if he can we will have a top CB. With a bit more work on our improving set pieces Turner would be a real threat to any L1 defence.

Last edited:
I would guess that Turner and Wordsworth might have now switched places on the Keep percentages. Turner must be on decent money but has played really well under CP. So if CP feels he can improve for the same wage good luck and if he can we will have a top CB. With a bit more work on our improving set pieces Turner would be areal threat to any L1 defence.

Good shout Rigsby. I really rate Turner at this level, and provided he can remain fit there is no reason why we can't have another season out of him.

Back