• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whose contract would you renew?

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Now we have a manager, he's bound to be looking at how to improve the squad and a number of players are bound to be concerned for their future.

The below first team players have contracts which are set to expire in just 6 months, so who would you renew based on the current squad?

GK

Ted Smith - 2018
Mark Oxley - 2018

DEF
Ben Coker - 2018 (option until 2019)
John White - 2018
Michael Turner - 2018 (option until 2019)

MID
Michael Timlin - 2018
Anthony Wordsworth - 2018
Jermaine McGlashan - 2018 (option until 2019)
Josh Wright - 2018 (option until 2019)

FWD
Simon Cox - 2018
Marc-Antoine Fortune - 2018

Reckon we will see a mass clear out at the end of the season, i would make contract extensions for Oxley and Coker top priority, plus Simon Cox if Powell's system allows him to play to his abilities. Ted should get another year, but with view to a loan move - otherwise it will hamper his development. I'd let JW, McGlash, Timlin and MAF go. The others (Turner, Wordsworth and Wright) have until end of season to prove their worth.

Second top priority is to offload Robinson.

Last edited:
A lot depends on the new contract.

Pretty much all of them are worth one year, but many not three years, IMHO

for me it's like this

Ted Smith - yes, definite
Mark Oxley - yes, definite
John White - maybe
Ben Coker - yes, definite
Michael Turner – maybe
Michael Timlin - maybe
Anthony Wordsworth - yes, definite
Jermaine McGlashan - no
Josh Wright - maybe
Simon Cox - yes
Marc-Antoine Fortune - unlikely

And for me like this

Ted Smith - yes
Mark Oxley - yes, definite
John White - I’m on the fence here. He’s steady, but getting older.
Ben Coker - yes, definite
Michael Turner - yes, but only if we can shift Anton first
Michael Timlin - thanks for the great service but time to go
Anthony Wordsworth - will need to improve for the run in
Jermaine McGlashan - no
Josh Wright - Will need to improve for the run in
Simon Cox - yes
Marc-Antoine Fortune - one more season is one too many

I went for White, Coker, Timlin, Wordsworth and Cox. I hate to say it but I think Ted's missed the boat now, and while I think Oxley has been really good this season, I'm still not entirely convinced - I'd be quite happy for him to stay though. The rest, well, yet to be convinced. You could argue White and Timlin might not both be worth keeping on, but if we can, I would, they're both very versatile and solid players.

I went for White, Coker, Timlin, Wordsworth and Cox. I hate to say it but I think Ted's missed the boat now, and while I think Oxley has been really good this season, I'm still not entirely convinced - I'd be quite happy for him to stay though. The rest, well, yet to be convinced. You could argue White and Timlin might not both be worth keeping on, but if we can, I would, they're both very versatile and solid players.

You’d release our Player of the Season but keep Timlin?

I still believe in Ted Smith. He was so good when he first came into the team last season, played a blinder against Charlton and did well in other games. He's still young for a keeper but maybe needs a change to aid his development. I still want him to get the job done with us

Truly shocked at the lack of support for MAF. The guy is an absolute pro who, in my eyes, has a good 18-24 months left in him at this level. He chips in with the odd goal, and his ability to hold the ball up and bring in other players in to the game is unrivalled in this squad and I've not seen many teams have a player with those qualities come to RH?

Smith - No. Agree with OBL, his development has stalled this year and I'm not convinced he's as good as everyone thinks. Think we need another keeper to challenge Oxley.
Oxley - Yes, definitely.
White - Yes, proven his worth this season. Good squad player.
Coker - Yes, no need to explain.
Turner - No, too injury-prone, unless he stays fit for the rest of the season and proves otherwise.
Timlin - No, thanks for the service but probably time to go.
Wordsworth - Yes, had a disruptive season but he's a key player when fit.
McGlashan - No, not done enough.
Wright - Yes, need to see more of him.
Cox - Yes, Brown didn't get the best out of him.
MAF - No, one goal this season isn't enough.

I'd also cancel the ridiculously long contract we gave to Theo Robinson, which he's done nothing to warrant.

Last edited:
Heres mine

Smith - definitely still developing, been injured, could match Bentley
Oxley -a must
White - close to player of the year, great squad player , for cove and experience, leader
Coker Yes definite
Turner - Yes , as others but bye Ferdy
Timlin thanks but bye bye
Wordsworth - No , always injured , can do better, cant tackle or defend , too prissy , a luxury for the usual half a season , goodbye , blown every chance this term with abysmal performances, hardly a way to state your case
Mc Glashen No , not good enough
Wright - want to see more
Cox - definite
MAF time is up needs some goals

+ goodbye Robbo if poss

GK
Ted Smith - 2018 - a keeper to keep
Mark Oxley - 2018 - "

DEF
Ben Coker - 2018 (option until 2019) - use the option if he can find his best
John White - 2018 - end of the road. good servant but time is up.
Michael Turner - 2018 (option until 2019) - Already a faded star. let go.

MID
Michael Timlin - 2018 - He has a season or two in league 2 beckoning.
Anthony Wordsworth - 2018 - If only he could stay fit but won't. let go.
Jermaine McGlashan - 2018 (option until 2019) - Got to go.
Josh Wright - 2018 (option until 2019) - Jury still out but inclined to think we are going to see better from him.

FWD
Simon Cox - 2018 - great player but this will be his last hurrah in league 1.
Marc-Antoine Fortune - 2018 - sadly, for all of his professionalism, he needs to make way for a prospect.

White,Timlin,Wordswoth,McGlashen,Maf to go Smith another year alsoTurner if he can stay fit,Wright we still to see the best of him,another year for Cox.Also Robinson and Ferdy to go if possible.

I would exercise Coker’s and Wright’s options and offer Oxley an extension.

I would offer Cox an extension if Powell feels he can get the best out of him and play to his strengths.
I would offer an extension to Wordsworth if his fitness can be improved and if the extension is on similar terms - the 2016/17 AW was generally worth an improved contract but the 2017/18 one is not and if he can’t accept that then I’d let him go.
I would offer MAF, White and Turner (if he can prove his fitness and if we can shift Ferdinand) one-year extensions if they’re happy to not be regular starters - I think all 3 are model pros and great characters.

I’d lose Smith, Timlin and McGlashan and I’d also be trying to offload Robinson and Ferdinand (unless he can show very quickly that he can be the same player from last season) despite their contracts not being up for renewal yet. Incidentally if we can’t or are unable to get rid of Ferdinand, then I’d probably release Turner as I don’t think we can physically or financially afford to keep both.

How is Ted Smith under 70% ?!!?

Why aren't Both JW's at least 90%....Or turner just 32%.

Why isn't Oxley 100% for 3 year deal... After all when he leaves us for a bigger club and on higher wages that's how long he will get. Can anyone can point out a better L1 keeper floating around on a free transfer, who would sign for us.

Who knows what others see, or don't see. That's the Joys of Shrimperzone.

Back