• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings F C Halifax Town 3-1 Southend United

Saw the highlights at last, first one some very naive defending from Philips and suspect positioning from Demi IMO, second one you can't do that much about, maybe the man tracking (Ferguson?) might have got a head to it but goals like that happen all the time, third one looks a good yard and a half offside.

Like others have said PB had the chance to wipe the slate clean and build from scratch. Problem is the balance isn’t right. Too many senior pros trying their best but looking like they are past their best before date. On paper the signings made looked decent but we are getting found out very quickly. However fir 60 odd minutes we played some great stuff against Wrexham, so the team does have ability. For me we must go 442, the players currently fit to play are just not good enough in a 352.

the most alarming point fir me though, this is a new manager relatively speaking, a new season, new league and basically a new team. However that on Saturday was like watching any of the squads from the past few season again. We are not scoring goals and struggling to keep clean sheets. When will this pain end?

I couldn’t go Saturday but purchased tickets for Torquay, I honestly thought we would get at least a draw Saturday, hopefully pick up points against Aldershot and then go again against a poor Torquay side. Now already Aldershot has become a must win game for PB or the fans will start to turn if not already and then who knows what next Saturday will bring

but it’s fair to say that so far the first 5 games have offered little hope that we could get anywhere near the play offs or even top ten.

It’s almost like the formation or the manager aren’t totally responsible for our consistently poor results over the last few years!!

after travelling back on Saturday, my thoughts are mixed again, was this just a poor performance, did Halifax look that good or was it because we played so badly

should we play a different way, so many different reasons went through my head as to why it was so bad...…..Halifax kept it simple

now what I'm looking for is a reaction on Tuesday against the youngest squad in the league, lets see what we can do

remember we are only 5 games in and there are still 123 points to play for

Reactions: RHB
The goalkeeper situation sums up the main problem- the back up in most positions is awful. If everyones fit we'd do well but they never will be. I can understand why Brown signed the likes of Coulson, Ogogo and Dunne but you need energy around them, instead we have White, Demetriou, Atkinson.
Energy and pace and athleticism.
Orient won the National League playing 3-5-2.

Y’all need to forget about formations, tactics and even managers. The rot at Southend starts with the incompetent fool at the top. Yet again you’ve had a summer where the age profile and injury history of the squad is all wrong and he’s signed off on it. Non-payment of players and the taxman probably around the corner. Long season ahead…
Did that Orient side have pace?
I think the overhaul required is obvious to PB, unfortunately it is too great to do all in one pre season, so a choice had to be made, ability or age and he went for ability. So we have Bridge, Dalby, Murphy, Ogogo, Dunne and Coulson, all who are an improvement to what went before. He
has retained Demi and White. Knowing Ox was wanting out also had to get new keeper and has done very well with Arnold. However in retaining Demi and JW has had to take a gamble imo that they can last another season. Coulson has improved the defence, but the payback is we are very short of pace through the middle. He is chosing numbers to cover that hence 3 at the back to try and combat that. Positioning is key and something we need to work on PDQ. A central defender with pace, defensive midfielder and another keeper for me are key atm. But come the end of the season we have to work on bringing the age down in the squad and say good bye to Demi and JW, possibly Dunne who l see as a stop gap and increase the creativity, but that's just me and the above is just as l see it, but the transituon carries a world of pain.
You may see Dunne as a stop gap but he’s on a two year deal with I think an option of a third.

Back