• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

F1 2017

steveo

mine to stay the same please
British GP under threat as usual, new cars new wings and a retired World Champ.

This was interesting re Williams driver line up:

"They needed a driver over 25 years of age to replace Bottas because their title sponsor, the drinks giant Martini, cannot use two drivers under that age for its global promotional campaign."

I heard that Massa was going to give it another season. His final season wasn't the great end he was expecting. Plus I think his DNF at Brazil would be enough for him to take the chance for one last season.

Bottas at Mercedes will be interesting, hopefully he will challenge Hamilton otherwise it's going to be a boring season, even more boring than the previous 5.

As expected:

Bottas to Mercedes.
Massa out of retirement to return to Williams.

Manor have gone bust, so unless they can find a new buyer before the Australian Grand Prix in late March there will only be 10 teams competing at the beginning of the season.

As well as one less race from last year as there isn't a Grand Prix in Germany.

You didn't miss it mate, that was the trick.
Hefty rumours that the McLaren will be Orange this year.

mac1.JPG

Good to see Hamilton getting his first win of the season! :thumbsup:

In other news, after 19 years, this year will be the last Malaysian Grand Prix, as it's been confirmed that it will not figure in the 2018 calendar.

Jenson Button to replace Alonso at Monaco.

I'm pleased but surprised to hear that. If he does start, he will become the joint 2nd highest driver to start the most Grand Prix's (alongside schuey) on 306.

Hamilton on pole for the Canadian Grand Prix later. Hopefully a good weekend for British sports fans of all genres.

I thought it was a touching gesture from the Senna family to dedicate one of his racing helmets to Lewis for matching the achievement of Senna's pole positions (especially as its well known that he was his boyhood hero).

Not to mention, he is now only 4 pole positions away from beating the all time record from the legend that is Michael Schumacher. With another 13 races still to go after Canada, I would say this is a realistic possibility.

Hamilton on pole for the Canadian Grand Prix later. Hopefully a good weekend for British sports fans of all genres.

I thought it was a touching gesture from the Senna family to dedicate one of his racing helmets to Lewis for matching the achievement of Senna's pole positions (especially as its well known that he was his boyhood hero).

Not to mention, he is now only 4 pole positions away from beating the all time record from the legend that is Michael Schumacher. With another 13 races still to go after Canada, I would say this is a realistic possibility.

These records that get beaten are a bit of a joke really. They have more races now than they did when Senna was racing. Same goes with the points earned over the career they are much higher than when Senna and Schumacher were racing.

Hamilton is nothing compared to the late great Senna and never will be!

Agree with you about Senna, a legend of a driver. I also agree about your comments about some of the other records in F1 that constantly get beaten (fastest lap times etc, its obvious a 2017 Mercedes or Ferrari will be beat say a Lotus or so from the 70's).
But some of them I do regonise on a percent basis as I believe the margins for error are a lot smaller now, then they were compared to a few decades ago.

Anyway, it's been a great weekend of sports, and the Canadian Grand Prix was the icing on the cake,

1. Always good to see the Union jack hanging from the podium and Hamilton bringing it home for the country.

2. Max Verstappen's brilliant yet crazy start (gutted he went out),

3. Vettel starting from 2nd on the grid, dropping back to almost last and working he's way back through the ranks to 4th, and re-learning the art of overtaking again.

4. Alonso, blaming everyone (as usual) for he's lack of realising he can't actually drive.

5. The spat between the Force India drivers of Perez & Ocon that were given team orders, that cost them points.

6. And the unusual time penalty given to Magnessen?? the stewards gave him a 5 second drive through time penalty (which he did)... and then the stewards admitted they ****ed up their own final decision, so decided to give him another 10 second penalty? WTF was that about??.. Really harsh in my books. Almost unheard of!

Just the highlights of the Baku Grand Prix.

Blimey!! that was a bit of a feisty affair wasn't it!!...... that pretty much had everything to offer.

I thought Vettel's 10 second stop / go penalty was too light considering what he intentionally did to Hamilton, against the wall.

My driver of the day was Bottas, started 2nd, dropped back to last place and was lapped at one stage, then finished back where he started in 2nd place with just a few metres to go before the finish line.

Also found it amusing that the 2 Force India drivers still haven't learnt their lesson from the Canadian Grand Prix, there certainly seems to be no love lost between them two.

Great race, an example of what we need more of.

I thought Vettel got away lightly with what he did, that wasn't dangerous driving, it was purposefully ramming his car. I also thought Hamilton was questionable with not accelerating out of the corner, but appreciate he has the right to control the pace.

Yeah me too, these things do happen in F1, either by accident or on purpose, but clearly in this case Vettel did it as an act of revenge, i'm not saying it's right, but it's one thing doing that, say, in area of the track where there is a gravel run off etc, but taking a side swipe against another driver up against a reinforced concrete wall is a whole different kettle of fish.

I understand Vettel has now got 9 points on his super licence (I don't know how many he got today?) but 3 more and he has to sit out a race.

That was not ramming! Jesus Christ it was a little wheel bump. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. He moaned like a bitch about the 10 seconds saying 10 seconds wasn't enough. Well actually was longer as it was a 10 second stop and go. Which is a hell of a lot longer!

Vettel shouldn't have done it and I think his penalty was fair as it was a stupid thing to do but hardly ramming him like people seem to make out.

On the plus side it was an enjoyable race great drives by Ricciardo, Bottas and Stroll. Also a mention for Alonso who managed to drag that McLaren over the line for its first points of 2017.

If not ramming.. what would you call it then Ricey?

He intentionally and calculated crashing into another driver to gain an advantage. I used the words "side swipe" but to all effects, it still ramming. I also mentioned it was a 10 second stop and go penalty in my earlier post.

I think we know you don't like Hamilton (that's fair enough....off the track he gets on my t1ts too).. but if you got "side swiped" by another car at high speed, I think you would be moaning like a bitch too, most likely more than Hamilton did.

On another note, it was disappointing to see Verstappen being retired again. There is some real raw talent in that kid.

Back