• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

F1 General Chat Thread

In fact, not sure whether immlooking forward to next season or not. Alonso to Renault, Seb to Aston Martin and Danny Ric to McLaren.....Ferrari supposedly building a new engine which would shake things up if they nail it. But ultimately the rules remain stable. Part of me wishes we could skip next season and go straight to 2022.

Im looking forward to a post Hamilton era.

You don't think he'll stay on?

Can’t see it personally, he has no real passion for the sport. Did you see the pre race interview with him at the Nurburgring? They asked him what was special about Nurburgring and he shrugged him shoulders. Said all circuits are the same. The bloke has absolutely no interest and seems to care more about his image out of a race car and his life outside. It’s a job for him rather than a lifestyle.

Can’t see it personally, he has no real passion for the sport. Did you see the pre race interview with him at the Nurburgring? They asked him what was special about Nurburgring and he shrugged him shoulders. Said all circuits are the same. The bloke has absolutely no interest and seems to care more about his image out of a race car and his life outside. It’s a job for him rather than a lifestyle.

I didn't actually see that particular interview. Wish I had. He probably needs to find that's really the case. Done alright for somebody who doesn't have the passion though. Acid test will be whether he sticks around for 2022 maybe. Nobody with a passion for the sport would voluntarily leave before experiencing such a big raftvof upcoming rule changes.

Still thinking a lot hinges on what Toto Wolff does. I know he confirmed he won't necessarily stay in the same position but if he stays involved one way or another, Hamilton will probably cling on.

I didn't actually see that particular interview. Wish I had. He probably needs to find that's really the case. Done alright for somebody who doesn't have the passion though. Acid test will be whether he sticks around for 2022 maybe. Nobody with a passion for the sport would voluntarily leave before experiencing such a big raftvof upcoming rule changes.

Still thinking a lot hinges on what Toto Wolff does. I know he confirmed he won't necessarily stay in the same position but if he stays involved one way or another, Hamilton will probably cling on.

I didn’t say there was no passion, he just doesn’t seem that overly interested. Look at John White everyone expects him to go into coaching and be our future manager. He has said on numerous occasions that he has no interest in coaching after retiring.

F1 is far more draining than football as you’re jetting all over the world for most of the year. Once you’ve had a career like his why would you want to continue that and earn nowhere near the same money for less of a thrill?

Seems to me that Hamilton will stay on.

Can't take that performance away from him today.

Lucky with the strategy they went for.

Don't know about that mate. He pretty much dictated the strategy from his cockpit, especially in the second half of the race. His start moving from P6 to P3 so quickly helped too. And he was finding grip where other drivers weren't, look at the amount of times Bottas, Verstappen, etc. spun. I'm not a huge fan of his as a person but not too sure how anyone can really take that away from him today. That was a Champion's drive.

Weĺ done Lewis.
Winning in conditions like today is the mark of skill.
Lewis has it, Hunt and Senna had it, and the balls to push on.

Don't know about that mate. He pretty much dictated the strategy from his ****pit, especially in the second half of the race. His start moving from P6 to P3 so quickly helped too. And he was finding grip where other drivers weren't, look at the amount of times Bottas, Verstappen, etc. spun. I'm not a huge fan of his as a person but not too sure how anyone can really take that away from him today. That was a Champion's drive.

A great drive by a great driver in a great car! He is a great driver and he has benefitted his whole career from having the best cars. McLaren when it was good and now the Merc. Look how he struggled when the McLaren and Merc weren’t the best cars. He struggled when he had Rosberg as a team mate because he is a great driver. You stick Verstappen, Vettel, Alonso or Ricciardo in that car as his no.2 and he’s not as dominate. Bottas is a good driver but not a great driver like those listed. He’s benefitted from being the no.1 driver on the no.1 and team.

Weĺ done Lewis.
Winning in conditions like today is the mark of skill.
Lewis has it, Hunt and Senna had it, and the balls to push on.

Now that is a ridiculous comparison I’m sorry. Senna and Hunt had nowhere near the driving aids that Lewis and the current crop have. All they have to do is get within a second of the car in front and they get a boost of extra speed over them. Hunt especially had NOTHING and early Senna didn’t have a great deal. Jenson Button used to excel in the wet and he didn’t have the best car on the grid.

A great drive by a great driver in a great car! He is a great driver and he has benefitted his whole career from having the best cars. McLaren when it was good and now the Merc. Look how he struggled when the McLaren and Merc weren’t the best cars. He struggled when he had Rosberg as a team mate because he is a great driver. You stick Verstappen, Vettel, Alonso or Ricciardo in that car as his no.2 and he’s not as dominate. Bottas is a good driver but not a great driver like those listed. He’s benefitted from being the no.1 driver on the no.1 and team.

I get what you're saying but I think he gets treated unfairly with the car argument. The best drivers get the drives at the best teams. He's been remarkably consistent, winning at least a race in every season he's competed in, even in seasons where his car has been well off the pace of the front runners (2009 and 2013). He was also still in the title fight in the last few races of 2010, despite having the 3rd quickest car on the grid. 2011 and 2012 McLaren again the 3rd quickest, it was what it was but he still won races.

And yes of course he wouldn't be AS dominant with better teammates but you can level that accusation against many of the greats. He tied 2nd with Alonso in the same car, and if 'struggling' against the 'great' Nico Rosberg is winning the title in 2 of the 3 seasons that they were teammates, then I'd say he did damn well. Senna and Prost spent 2 seasons together at McLaren and won a title apiece....Senna's other 2 were won with Gerhard Berger as his teammate - a skillful driver but a subservient No.2. All of Schumacher's titles came with skillful but subservient No.2 driver teammates in Herbert, Irvine, Barrichello and Massa. Vettel had similar with Webber. Alonso with Fisichella in 2005 and 2006. Mansell almost won titles in 86 and 87 with Piquet as teammate which was a great effort but won his title in 92 with an average Patrese in the other Williams. 2 of Lauda's came with Reutemann and Regazzoni as teammates - good but not great. Piquet only had a decent teammate for 1 of his titles (Mansell in 87).

Prost has done best if we're looking at quality of teammates. He won 3 of his 4 titles with Lauda, Keke Rosberg and Senna in the sister car.

But the vast majority of the drivers who many have lauded as "one of the best ever" have won their world titles in the best car and often with a much lesser talent as teammate. Many people forget this when levelling the criticism against Hamilton.

Now that is a ridiculous comparison I’m sorry. Senna and Hunt had nowhere near the driving aids that Lewis and the current crop have. All they have to do is get within a second of the car in front and they get a boost of extra speed over them. Hunt especially had NOTHING and early Senna didn’t have a great deal. Jenson Button used to excel in the wet and he didn’t have the best car on the grid.

Would definitely agree here, can't really compare eras what with driver aids and what not. Although you could turn it around and say that today's drivers have to multi-task a lot more with all of the switches, dials and buttons that they need to adjust whilst driving. Hamilton has more than proven himself in the wet though, he has won 9 of the last 10 wet races. Button doesn't excel in the wet so much, more in drying conditions as he seems able to find grip where others can't.

In 2009 the Brawn GP car (powered by Mercedes) was on the podium 15 times out of the 17 races it entered that season.

Are you sure you are not over analysing it.
Wet track, cars racing, drivers racing, same scenario in every (yes very different). eras.
Always there have been big teams and stand out cars.
Other drivers who had big championship leads might ease up and play safe?
It looked to me that with all the modern aids cars are still spinning and sliding?
If Mercedes believed there was a better driver available I think they would be signing him up but they want Lewis to extend his drive with them and that indicates to me that he is top dog atm.

Lewis does himself few favours, for me included, with his deportment, ego, sensitivity and unrounded politics; but that does not detract, imo,from him being a world leading performer who has climbed the heights from a challenging life position.

I get what you're saying but I think he gets treated unfairly with the car argument. The best drivers get the drives at the best teams. He's been remarkably consistent, winning at least a race in every season he's competed in, even in seasons where his car has been well off the pace of the front runners (2009 and 2013). He was also still in the title fight in the last few races of 2010, despite having the 3rd quickest car on the grid. 2011 and 2012 McLaren again the 3rd quickest, it was what it was but he still won races.

And yes of course he wouldn't be AS dominant with better teammates but you can level that accusation against many of the greats. He tied 2nd with Alonso in the same car, and if 'struggling' against the 'great' Nico Rosberg is winning the title in 2 of the 3 seasons that they were teammates, then I'd say he did damn well. Senna and Prost spent 2 seasons together at McLaren and won a title apiece....Senna's other 2 were won with Gerhard Berger as his teammate - a skillful driver but a subservient No.2. All of Schumacher's titles came with skillful but subservient No.2 driver teammates in Herbert, Irvine, Barrichello and Massa. Vettel had similar with Webber. Alonso with Fisichella in 2005 and 2006. Mansell almost won titles in 86 and 87 with Piquet as teammate which was a great effort but won his title in 92 with an average Patrese in the other Williams. 2 of Lauda's came with Reutemann and Regazzoni as teammates - good but not great. Piquet only had a decent teammate for 1 of his titles (Mansell in 87).

Prost has done best if we're looking at quality of teammates. He won 3 of his 4 titles with Lauda, Keke Rosberg and Senna in the sister car.

But the vast majority of the drivers who many have lauded as "one of the best ever" have won their world titles in the best car and often with a much lesser talent as teammate. Many people forget this when levelling the criticism against Hamilton.

Would definitely agree here, can't really compare eras what with driver aids and what not. Although you could turn it around and say that today's drivers have to multi-task a lot more with all of the switches, dials and buttons that they need to adjust whilst driving. Hamilton has more than proven himself in the wet though, he has won 9 of the last 10 wet races. Button doesn't excel in the wet so much, more in drying conditions as he seems able to find grip where others can't.

A very reasonable argument, hats off to you for the effort. And yes history does show that some of the best drivers have second rate drivers in the second car. It is wrong and shouldn’t be the case. Hamilton’s best seasons are when he has a competitive no.2 like Alonso and Rosberg. As you said the Senna and Prost seasons were incredible. Vettel and Ricciardo has some great moments. I can see why teams don’t do it though as so many moments where the decent no.2 ends up fighting with their ‘no.1’ crashes into them and the teams ends up with both cars out of the race.

Im going to be honest, I don’t like Hamilton, I appreciate he IS a great driver. I personally can just never compare him to the greats like Senna who were in a class of their own!

A very reasonable argument, hats off to you for the effort. And yes history does show that some of the best drivers have second rate drivers in the second car. It is wrong and shouldn’t be the case. Hamilton’s best seasons are when he has a competitive no.2 like Alonso and Rosberg. As you said the Senna and Prost seasons were incredible. Vettel and Ricciardo has some great moments. I can see why teams don’t do it though as so many moments where the decent no.2 ends up fighting with their ‘no.1’ crashes into them and the teams ends up with both cars out of the race.

Im going to be honest, I don’t like Hamilton, I appreciate he IS a great driver. I personally can just never compare him to the greats like Senna who were in a class of their own!
Out of interest, have you ever seen the film/movie Senna ?

Back