• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FA Cup Final Screw Up

Not missed watching on TV an FA Cup final since '71.

Now thanks to the nutters at the FA I will at least miss the first half travelling back from Roots. Though I s'pose could try the Spread assuming they have such high tec things like a TV there and have a late trip back home

Daft too the final KO being 5.15. Just doesn't seem right. It should be last Saturday of the season with a 3.00 KO.

The Euro's are no excuse if that's what the FA's thinking is behind it all. If I can make it there in time (and I'm driving there - well, to Poland) then I'm sure those poor little overpaid footballers travelling first class by air can:smile:.

Tradition can be a good thing and having the FA Cup final on a day no other matches are played at 3.00pm is something that did not need to be changed.
Other league matches were played on the same day as the final last season so not sure why the powers that be have decided to do it again.
In my opinion though it is a very poor idea making it difficult for a large number of football fans that want to watch their own team but also see the FA Cup Final.
This used to be the show piece game that the nation watched that closed the season whilst with the play off’s now that can not be quite the same but it should
still have a day to it’s self and personally I feel they have devalued their own competition.

The FA Cup has been so devalued thanks to our friends in the only league in the world that matters (according to Sky). :thumbdown:

It's on in the Shrimpers after the match, and with the Real Ale festival beers still on (well, what remains of them!). I agree though, used to love the whole build up on FA Cup Final day before watching the match itself and that's being denied to thousands of real football fans supporting their lower league sides.

I want to watch the Cup Final but if we win promotion I have a feeling I'll be too busy celebrating to worry about it!

The FA Cup has lost some of its magic over the years IMO and this just further illustrates its order with the FA. I used to love the massive build up to it. Seeing all the supporters walk down ******* Way as the team coaches leave the hotel. The build up was normally better than the match! It is regarded and sounded by the FA and TV as the greatest club cup competition in the World then why have they devalued it so much. It should always be the climax to a season, the fitting way to end any domestic season and a showpiece for the English game. It is disappointing that we have sunk to having to fit it in somewhere rather than it being the showpiece event.

Its all about TV now, the championship play-offs start before the end of the season for the rest of us just so they can fit all the games on the box!

The 1st division (premier ****) should start the same weekend as the rest of the football league.
Plus have more mid-week games in August, September & October.
Then come May the cup final can take place on a Saturday @ 3pm.
With after all league games have been played & before the play-offs & (Non)Champions League & Europa Cup finals.

Rant over.

El Girtho!

Agree, its awful that the final is now "just another game" to be squeezed in.

It should be the saturday after the season finishes, 3pm.

If anyone complains about it affecting England players then point out theres likely to be all of about 4 players involved.

Agree wholeheartedly, the build up, the buzz of the game has all been ruined. Should be a good game but lots of true football fans will miss it as a result of following their teams up and down the country. Meanwhile half of ******* will probably be corporate suits.

The FA have long since abdicated the running of the game to TV and the Old Bill. There's no way the Cup Final should kick off at 515 on a Saturday amd it should also, play offs aside be the last game of the English season. The reason the kick off is now Saturday evening is that ITV (in particular) think that viewers will stay rooted to the channel for Britain's got **** all Talent. If I did watch the game it would be on ESPN at least I won't be troubled by that miserable fat faced Brummie tosser, the appalling Gareth Southgate & Andy ****ing Townsend, nor their cretinous commentator.

Also I hear that Virgin aren't able to run more than a couple of trains back to Liverpool because engineering works that have been scheduled for the best part of two years. Unfortunately the fans always suffer when the rights are sold for such large amounts of money as they are at the beck and call of the TV companies and sponsors.

The FA Cup has lost some of its magic over the years IMO and this just further illustrates its order with the FA. I used to love the massive build up to it. Seeing all the supporters walk down ******* Way as the team coaches leave the hotel. The build up was normally better than the match! It is regarded and sounded by the FA and TV as the greatest club cup competition in the World then why have they devalued it so much. It should always be the climax to a season, the fitting way to end any domestic season and a showpiece for the English game. It is disappointing that we have sunk to having to fit it in somewhere rather than it being the showpiece event.
Too true, its always been an all day TV event that you don't move from the sofa for. It'll be all over by time I get home from Roots Hall and I'll by then have lost interest and may not even bother with the highlights.

The FA have long since abdicated the running of the game to TV and the Old Bill. There's no way the Cup Final should kick off at 515 on a Saturday amd it should also, play offs aside be the last game of the English season. The reason the kick off is now Saturday evening is that ITV (in particular) think that viewers will stay rooted to the channel for Britain's got **** all Talent. If I did watch the game it would be on ESPN at least I won't be troubled by that miserable fat faced Brummie tosser, the appalling Gareth Southgate & Andy ****ing Townsend, nor their cretinous commentator.

If it goes to extra time & penalties they'll probably cut to Britain's Got ***** just before the crucial penalty.

Last year was a prime example, the news that Man City had won there first trophy in god knows how many years was overshadowed, as Man United had won the league a couple of hours earlier

Back