• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure if it was my first FA Cup game but I went to Watford in the First Round in Nov '66; all I can remember is the journey in a condensation sodden supporters coach that picked us up at Pier Hill and thinking that Watford's ground was a proper karzi compared to Roots Hall(Oh how times change).
But my favourite First round game was Kings Lynn in 1968/69. I was a spotty little 11 year old with my first crop and Levis hanging about on the edge of the Pak. But jeez that team...Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Mcmillan, Kurilla, Beasley, and get this...Clayton, Best, Moore, Chisnall and Hamilton. In all the games I've watched I've not seen a team that was better than that one. Still heroes to me, and always will be.

Not sure if it was my first FA Cup game but I went to Watford in the First Round in Nov '66; all I can remember is the journey in a condensation sodden supporters coach that picked us up at Pier Hill and thinking that Watford's ground was a proper karzi compared to Roots Hall(Oh how times change).
But my favourite First round game was Kings Lynn in 1968/69. I was a spotty little 11 year old with my first crop and Levis hanging about on the edge of the Pak. But jeez that team...Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Mcmillan, Kurilla, Beasley, and get this...Clayton, Best, Moore, Chisnall and Hamilton. In all the games I've watched I've not seen a team that was better than that one. Still heroes to me, and always will be.

Was there too.
Up to that game we had been playing well; plenty of good Fridays, including a 4-1 demolition of Stanley Matthews' Port Vale. Now wonder the legend got out of football management quickly.
Do you recall Blues kicked towards the then open end in the second half? A Watford woman huffed her way past saying: 'they look a right lot, that lot from Southend' more angelic than me and mates would be hard to imagine!

David Webb might have been one of our greatest managers but his track record on the FA Cup was appalling. The only games I can remember us winning under him in the FA Cup was both Canvey games.

to be fair, we put up a fight at Everton!

These are some of my memories from my youthful years of the First Round.

83/4 being off school sick and seeing the draw on Ceefax, we got Plymouth a 0-0 draw which I was at but don't remember much about and then a loss in the replay.
84/5 drawing 2-2 with Colchester and my mum not letting me go to the replay, from what I've heard not a bad decision for a 12 year old.
85/6 Newport home and Roy getting sent off.
86/7 Halesowen bringing shed loads of fans.

The 2011/12 season, we drew at home to Oldham in the 2nd round. The 3rd round was drawn and Liverpool away came out. I've never been to Anfield before, needless to say we lost the replay to Oldham.

This was my first FA cup match, followed in the second round by the 10 1 thrashing of Brentwood when Best scored 5. How easy was this FA cup lark I thought? How wrong I was, as years of torment since have proved. :'(
As E for B says what a team that was, really entertaining, with my all time hero Sir Billy up front. :Worthy:
The strange thing was we still couldnt get out of the fourth division, yet were regularly getting home crowds of over 10,000. But like many others, I was hooked and nearly 50 years later I still love the Shrimpers and have therefore become a pessimist and when it comes to the team we call United I seem to always expect the worst outcome ( Fossetts Farm, FA Cup defeats at Millwall etc. etc.)
UTB

Back