• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's yours?

Sadly, the first one for me that always comes to mind is a haunting one.

Top of the league, our beloved Shrimpers go on a winter **** up in the sun the week before and arrive in Aylesbury on 18 Nov 1989 arrogant and hung over.

It was woeful, I don't think we had a shot all game - I stand on that terrace behind the goal with a 1,000 fellow Shrimpers to see the non-leaguer's steal it at the death.

The home fans start singing 'Oh when the Ducks go steaming in' and the man on the tannoy at the final whistle announces "All over the land tonight they'll be going quack, quack, quack".

I left deeply traumatised and have never quite got over it.:stunned:

hqdefault.jpg

I seemed to remember us getting done by Doncaster rovers at roots hall when they were non league.

**** poor game and it chucked down all game.

Loved Woking away in the late 90's. Proper old cup tie, chucked it down the whole game but two late goals made it all worthwhile. We were total crap that season as well so it was one of the few highlights.

Millwall at home a few years earlier was good as well. An early goal from Stanley followed by Millwall boys kicking off for the rest of the game... great atmosphere though

What's yours?

Sadly, the first one for me that always comes to mind is a haunting one.

Top of the league, our beloved Shrimpers go on a winter **** up in the sun the week before and arrive in Aylesbury on 18 Nov 1989 arrogant and hung over.

It was woeful, I don't think we had a shot all game - I stand on that terrace behind the goal with a 1,000 fellow Shrimpers to see the non-leaguer's steal it at the death.

The home fans start singing 'Oh when the Ducks go steaming in' and the man on the tannoy at the final whistle announces "All over the land tonight they'll be going quack, quack, quack".

I left deeply traumatised and have never quite got over it.:stunned:

View attachment 4365

That's the one that sticks in my mind. Was 13 years old and remember thinking this could be any scoreline at all....unfortunately I didn't have 1-0 to the non league side in mind.

Southend United 1 Aston Villa 0 , enough said .:happy::happy::happy:

On a more positive note...

The 1970's were great in the FA Cup. Most of these were at home.

1970/1 - Weymouth 7-0 (missed that one)
1971/2 - Aston Villa - 1-0 - saw that and another team we have a 100% record over
1972/3 - Aldershot 0-2 (can't remember but let's ignore that one shall we...)
1973/4 - Boreham Wood 3-0
1974/5 - AP Leamington 2-1 (away)
1975/6 - Swansea 2-0
1976/7 - Exeter - 1-1 away on the Saturday, won 2-1 at home in the replay on the Monday. Those were the days!
1977/8 - Torquay 2-1
1978/9 - Peterborough 3-2
1979/80 - Wealdstone 1-0 (away)

Only went out once in the first round across the whole decade.

Didn't "Chico" Hamilton score our goal in that one and they signed him up shortly after?

No Chico scored against Swindon for Southend in 69 and sighned for Villa at the end of the season , he played for Villa against Southend in 71 and got a great reception from the North Bank before the game .

Excerpt from my book re my one and only visit to Edgar Street on the 92 trail which covers a Round One game in the early '80's (another defeat tho):

"EDGAR STREET, Hereford United 3 Southend United 1, FA Cup Round One, Saturday 21 November 1981

In 2006, BBC 5 Live’s 606 programme invited listeners to submit a brief story ‘about the passion, drama, agony or ecstasy of the beautiful game’. A 1981 trip to Edgar Street was my entry. There was a 300 words limit and my offering was as follows:

‘A Southend fan washed up in Plymouth in 1981, our ball had come out of the hat after Hereford’s. So off I went to Edgar Street, once host to a glorious 70’s FA Cup parka pitch invasion, for a nice relaxing day trip and the start of our annual forlorn assault on Wembley.

I left my digs at 6.30 am for the seven mile cycle ride to the train station. One mile in I had a puncture, ran back home to dump the bike, and then hitched a lift to Plymouth centre. Train caught just in time, three changes and five hours later I was in Hereford. We lost 3-1.

About turn for the train ride back, but British Rail was in meltdown. Changes this time had to be made at Newport, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Exeter St David’s and Newton Abbot, arriving back in Plymouth around 1.00 am. It was peeing down (I mean, really peeing down, Plymouth style), the last bus had gone, no stranger wanted to give a drenched inadequately clothed young adult a lift, and so I walked.

An hour or so later, about one mile away from the end, a cop car pulled up and asked where I had been. I told them my story and submitted a soggy programme as Exhibit A. They took the ****, told me that they were on the look-out for a peeping tom but believed my unique alibi and desire just to get home rather than peep at Tom or anyone, declined to give me a lift up the steep hill before me, suggested I support a better team, and sped off laughing. I eventually got back some 20 hours after leaving. Never mind, there’s always next year I thought.’"

So, I went to Aylesbury, I went to Hereford, and I'm going to Millwall on Friday. I suggest you all give it a miss.:smile:

Excerpt from my book re my one and only visit to Edgar Street on the 92 trail which covers a Round One game in the early '80's (another defeat tho):

"EDGAR STREET, Hereford United 3 Southend United 1, FA Cup Round One, Saturday 21 November 1981

In 2006, BBC 5 Live’s 606 programme invited listeners to submit a brief story ‘about the passion, drama, agony or ecstasy of the beautiful game’. A 1981 trip to Edgar Street was my entry. There was a 300 words limit and my offering was as follows:

‘A Southend fan washed up in Plymouth in 1981, our ball had come out of the hat after Hereford’s. So off I went to Edgar Street, once host to a glorious 70’s FA Cup parka pitch invasion, for a nice relaxing day trip and the start of our annual forlorn assault on Wembley.

I left my digs at 6.30 am for the seven mile cycle ride to the train station. One mile in I had a puncture, ran back home to dump the bike, and then hitched a lift to Plymouth centre. Train caught just in time, three changes and five hours later I was in Hereford. We lost 3-1.

About turn for the train ride back, but British Rail was in meltdown. Changes this time had to be made at Newport, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Exeter St David’s and Newton Abbot, arriving back in Plymouth around 1.00 am. It was peeing down (I mean, really peeing down, Plymouth style), the last bus had gone, no stranger wanted to give a drenched inadequately clothed young adult a lift, and so I walked.

An hour or so later, about one mile away from the end, a cop car pulled up and asked where I had been. I told them my story and submitted a soggy programme as Exhibit A. They took the ****, told me that they were on the look-out for a peeping tom but believed my unique alibi and desire just to get home rather than peep at Tom or anyone, declined to give me a lift up the steep hill before me, suggested I support a better team, and sped off laughing. I eventually got back some 20 hours after leaving. Never mind, there’s always next year I thought.’"

So, I went to Aylesbury, I went to Hereford, and I'm going to Millwall on Friday. I suggest you all give it a miss.:smile:

More or less 10 years to the day that Southend beat Villa .

1961/62 lost 2-0 at home to Watford in front of 12,460 - my first first round cup tie.

We also lost 2-0 at home to Watford in the second round in 1962/63 - crowd 16,892

We always seemed to draw Watford as we were drawn against them again at home in the second round in 1965/66. Two goals from Eddie Firmani made it third time lucky -only 10583 there for that one though.

1966/67 it was back to normal though with a 1-0 defeat at Watford in the first round.

I've never liked Watford !

My first ever Blues game was First round November 15th, 1958 versus Yeovil Town score was 0-0, they were non-league at the time. Lost the replay 1-0 on their infamous sloping pitch, the thing that always stuck in my mind was the vision of Harry Threadgold running up the left wing with his arm in a sling (there were no substitutes in those days), I cannot remember who went in goal in his place. I was hooked! like all the fans all over the world I am up early every Saturday following the Blues!

My first ever Blues game was First round November 15th, 1958 versus Yeovil Town score was 0-0, they were non-league at the time. Lost the replay 1-0 on their infamous sloping pitch, the thing that always stuck in my mind was the vision of Harry Threadgold running up the left wing with his arm in a sling (there were no substitutes in those days), I cannot remember who went in goal in his place. I was hooked! like all the fans all over the world I am up early every Saturday following the Blues!
I was standing behind Harry's goal when Ron Saunders went in hard and kicked Harry in the back when he was on the ground. Effectively ended Harry's career. I can't remember who went in goal either.

Back