• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

Interesting to see the goal attempts broken down meaningfully in order of merit:

Goals
Woodwork
Well saved
Just wide
Easily saved
Well wide

Too much effort for the modern reporter -suppose it's much easier to reprint a few tweets !
Did not have TV highlights then .

Bits of the Programme -when pen pictures were informative

View attachment 7112View attachment 7113View attachment 7114

Just reading these pen pictures made me realise how much taller everyone is these days:

Trevor Roberts 6ft 0in
Tony Bentley 5ft 7in
Graham Birks 5ft 9in
Sam McMillan 5ft 8in
John Kurila 5ft 101/2in
Eddie Clayton 5ft 7in
Phil Chisnall 5ft 7in
John Baber 5ft 61/2in
Billy Best 5ft 6in
Chico Hamilton 5ft 93/4in
Gary Moore 6ft 1in

those who went playing
John McKinven 5ft 93/4in
Mel Slack 5ft 61/2in
Lawrie Leslie 5ft 101/2 in
Mike Beesley 5ft 10in

There wasn't a lot of hoofing in those days.

Just reading these pen pictures made me realise how much taller everyone is these days:

Trevor Roberts 6ft 0in
Tony Bentley 5ft 7in
Graham Birks 5ft 9in
Sam McMillan 5ft 8in
John Kurila 5ft 101/2in
Eddie Clayton 5ft 7in
Phil Chisnall 5ft 7in
John Baber 5ft 61/2in
Billy Best 5ft 6in
Chico Hamilton 5ft 93/4in
Gary Moore 6ft 1in

those who went playing
John McKinven 5ft 93/4in
Mel Slack 5ft 61/2in
Lawrie Leslie 5ft 101/2 in
Mike Beesley 5ft 10in

There wasn't a lot of hoofing in those days.

Not sure I believe these stats.

Sammy Mac and John K MUST have been taller than that.

Guess:

5 foot 11 and 6 foot at least respectively.

Need to consult Rothmans.......

Guess:

You would have thought so -but looking at team photos - Sammy Mac is shorter than Graham Birks and in 69/70 Kurila is much shorter than Garner and Moore - about Joe Jacques height -he was only 5ft 11in.
Wiki has Sam at 5ft 9in.

Didn't Grimsby have a midfielder called Dave Boylen who was 5ft 3in?

You would have thought so -but looking at team photos - Sammy Mac is shorter than Graham Birks and in 69/70 Kurila is much shorter than Garner and Moore - about Joe Jacques height -he was only 5ft 11in.
Wiki has Sam at 5ft 9in.

Didn't Grimsby have a midfielder called Dave Boylen who was 5ft 3in?
I dont think that Steve Phillips could of been much bigger .

I dont think that Steve Phillips could of been much bigger .

He was 5ft 6in same as Billy Best and Ron Pountney. I think he just looked smaller because everyone around him was taller. I wonder how they would cope with todays giant defenders.

Guess:

According to the Rothmans Year Book 1971-72 both Sammy McMillan & John Kurila's height is correct, mind you it says Kurila was heavier by 5lbs at 12st. 8lbs, he always seemed so slim back in the day (apart from being as hard as nails). Mind you it is 50 years ago.

He was 5ft 6in same as Billy Best and Ron Pountney. I think he just looked smaller because everyone around him was taller. I wonder how they would cope with todays giant defenders.
Billy Best most certainly would have coped, have we ever had another player who could out jump so many taller defenders. Billy really was unbelievable in the air for someone so small. One of the main reasons when he returned to the Cobblers and then into Non-League with Bedford & Corby Town he ended up playing as a centre-back.

Billy Best most certainly would have coped, have we ever had another player who could out jump so many taller defenders. Billy really was unbelievable in the air for someone so small. One of the main reasons when he returned to the Cobblers and then into Non-League with Bedford & Corby Town he ended up playing as a centre-back.

I can remember him playing at centre back for Northampton against us at Roots Hall -possibly 1977/78?. He did score with a lot of headers - did he ever score from outside of the box?

Still remember a few King Billy Best "diving headers",thats another thing i dont see now a days...mind you he was great,brave,did not mind messing his hair up and underpaid....again,unlike todays "players"

Back