• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

From "move with the times" to talking about a random match from 1967 in 60 seconds:Unsure:

Anyway, let's get back on topic as we seem to have strayed from the FA Cup - how about some goalkeeping performances - from Bert Trautman in the mud (more stories of this match please), Neville Southall at Goodison, to Steve Mildenhall v Chelsea and that Paul Smith display at Griffin Park.
I was 6 at the time,but I’ll never forget Trautmann’s performance nor my mum(she and my dad were still season-ticket holders in their 90’s) shrieking out in the second half “QUICK ! QUICK ! He’s out of his goal!”.
Paul Smith at Brentford is best by a huge distance for any Blues’ keeper.

Those poor Europeans you teach are not receiving 'proper' or 'correct' grammatical instruction then?

I'd ask for my Euros back.

PS. Grammatically correct sentences generally have a space after a comma too.........

I refer you to Godfrey Howard's The Good English Guide":-"The truth is that retaining the who or whom distinction preserves a grammatical relic and does nothing to avoid ambiguity."

I will never forget doing the Conga in the away end at Barnsley one cold wet and windy night, with around 80/100 blues fans. After a draw at Roots Hall in the first game. King Kevin had put us one up during the first half of the replay. Lee Bradbury then put us two up in the second half. And most of us formed a Conga line and danced around the mostly empty stand, for what seemed like the rest of the game!!!

I will never forget doing the Conga in the away end at Barnsley one cold wet and windy night, with around 80/100 blues fans. After a draw at Roots Hall in the first game. King Kevin had put us one up during the first half of the replay. Lee Bradbury then put us two up in the second half. And most of us formed a Conga line and danced around the mostly empty stand, for what seemed like the rest of the game!!!

Superb stuff.

We drove up and back on the same night - but with a warm glow.

That was the first game when I can remember us 'adopting' Ring of Fire.

One of my favourite memories of the FA Cup and one of my all time favourite goals.

Enough of Barna's grammatical imperfections.

Oswestry 6-0 was great for an impressionable eight year old.

Best ever FA Cup match? The 4-4 with a superb Cobblers side.

Best ever arrest for a companion? Derby away. You know who.

Favourite goal? Peter Clarke at Chelsea and Adam at home to Chelsea ( I had a fiver at forties for Adam scoring the first goal).

Worst ever? Donny at home under ******* Alvin when they were rock bottom of the Conference.

Very enjoyable: Sir Stanley at Huddersfield.

Pick a strong team please SCP and let's have a decent Cup run.

Favourite goal? Peter Clarke at Chelsea and Adam at home to Chelsea ( I had a fiver at forties for Adam scoring the first goal).

Worst ever? Donny at home under ******* Alvin when they were rock bottom of the Conference.

My guess is that Oswestry were lucky to get 'nil.'

I think I know who you mean. I was an impressionable 15 year old at the time and I saw your companion before the game. If I had to be called for evidence, I would have to say, "My brother was verily drunk, your Honour … but cheerfully so."

My guess is that Oswestry were lucky to get 'nil.'

You're not wrong.

Very early in my supporting 'career' in three successive matches we beat Tranmere 7-1 in a mud bath, Accrington 6-1 and then Oswestry 6-0 in the Cup.

Those three matches with 19 Blues goals were clearly responsible for my subsequent lifestyle. A bit like anyone who started off watching Kings Lynn and Brentwood roughly 10 years later (or Torquay and Aldershot under Tilly - wrong Cup though).

Perhaps we could litigate against them for mis-selling?

Is there any footage of the 4-4 with Northampton. Don’t think I’ve ever seen the goals since that night.

Yep, I'd concur on the above.

Add to the worst, getting drenched at Orient in the open end when we lost 3-2!

Is there any footage of the 4-4 with Northampton. Don’t think I’ve ever seen the goals since that night.

Sadly never seen any.

Must exist though because iirc it was shown on Saint and Greavsie or On the Ball the following lunchtime.

You're not wrong.

Very early in my supporting 'career' in three successive matches we beat Tranmere 7-1 in a mud bath, Accrington 6-1 and then Oswestry 6-0 in the Cup.

Those three matches with 19 Blues goals were clearly responsible for my subsequent lifestyle. A bit like anyone who started off watching Kings Lynn and Brentwood roughly 10 years later (or Torquay and Aldershot under Tilly - wrong Cup though).

Perhaps we could litigate against them for mis-selling?

As a six year old Dad took me to Roots Hall in 1968 and as you say may be I was spoilt with my first season watching Kings Lynn and Brentwood.
Like many, great memories of cup games versus Aston Villa, Watford, Liverpool and Everton, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday and Chelsea away but also the horrors of Aylesbury away , Kingstonian , Donny and Chester at home!
We have all suffered in recent years but with Chris Powell in charge hopefully today our luck will change! Come on you Shrimpers !

I dont like to say it but I had it on a video along with Southend v Wolves Martin Ling scores and Danny Greaves testimonial , which got mislaid when I moved 4 years ago , fingers crossed it will turn up one day .

Back