• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2002 as a (equivalent) L2 side we drew 1-1 at L1 Chesterfield, they equalised in the last minute through Luke Beckett after Tes Bramble had given us the lead .. we easily won the replay 2-0 with Phil Whelan heading in an early corner and Barrington Belgrave sealing it late on .. it was our first victory against a higher divisioned side in absolute ages, 25 years plus ...

From what i can ascertain that Chesterfield success was our first against a higher ranked side since the 1971 1-0 win over Aston Villa courtesy of Billy Best in front of a near 17,000 crowd at RH, you have to go back a further 3 years for our last such away triumph 2-0 at League Cup heroes Swindon Best again on the scoresheet, along with Chico Hamilton

I'm pretty sure that Chesterfield was the only one in my lifetime. It's not really that we've underachieved in the FA Cup - we have just constantly had crap draws. When we were up in Division 2 we'd all get excited about 3rd round draw and it'd always be...Southampton away, West Ham away, Everton away. Even when we had decent sides in the late 80's we always seemed to draw someone from the top of our own league away in the first round. The FA Cup has rarely been kind to us.

Edit....err. and Aylesbury.

From what i can ascertain that Chesterfield success was our first against a higher ranked side since the 1971 1-0 win over Aston Villa courtesy of Billy Best in front of a near 17,000 crowd at RH, you have to go back a further 3 years for our last such away triumph 2-0 at League Cup heroes Swindon Best again on the scoresheet, along with Chico Hamilton

My first game at Roots Hall. Stood on the old South Bank as I recall.

I'm pretty sure that Chesterfield was the only one in my lifetime. It's not really that we've underachieved in the FA Cup - we have just constantly had crap draws. When we were up in Division 2 we'd all get excited about 3rd round draw and it'd always be...Southampton away, West Ham away, Everton away. Even when we had decent sides in the late 80's we always seemed to draw someone from the top of our own league away in the first round. The FA Cup has rarely been kind to us.

Edit....err. and Aylesbury.

Bloody hell, that's depressingly true.

I've been going 25 years and I've never seen us beat a team from a higher division (I was at the Chesterfield away game, but couldn't make it down to Southend for the replay) in the FA Cup.

In that time we've only twice been drawn at home against a team from a higher division.

Should've beaten Derby away in the 5th round back in (I think) '76! Bloody refs!

Remember Villa and the more recent Chesterfield game. Went to both. Each one thoroughly deserved hard fought wins.

Bloody hell, that's depressingly true.

I've been going 25 years and I've never seen us beat a team from a higher division (I was at the Chesterfield away game, but couldn't make it down to Southend for the replay) in the FA Cup.

In that time we've only twice been drawn at home against a team from a higher division.

No me neither. I saw us beat Luton 3-2 in the gloomy Div 4 days pre Tilson in round 1 and that felt like beating a team from the league above as they were running away with the league at that point IIRC. And also saw us "beat" Tottenham in 89 in the League Cup, though that didn't really count as we didn't actually win. So maybe this is an omen for me to get my arse up to Preston and witness history in the making :smile:

Glad to have reminded you all! One of my biggest days out away, the old Baseball Ground...Valentine's Day!

Rioch should have been sent off but the ref bottled it - don't even think he got a yellow card.:angry:

Indeed, in fact I don't think we had the cards in our leagues in the 70's, they were introduced for a World Cup (possibly 1970. Rioch would have undoubtedly been sent off under the current laws.

One of the "interesting facts" about Southend United is that we are one of the few teams NEVER to have beaten a team from the top division in the F A Cup! Infact, I think I am right in saying that we are the ONLY established league team (league tenure of 10 or more years) that are included in that list! We have had some high profile near misses (Derby in 75 and Liverpool in 79 to name but two, but that first top tier scalp still evades us! Perhaps this is the year..........

One of the "interesting facts" about Southend United is that we are one of the few teams NEVER to have beaten a team from the top division in the F A Cup! Infact, I think I am right in saying that we are the ONLY established league team (league tenure of 10 or more years) that are included in that list! We have had some high profile near misses (Derby in 75 and Liverpool in 79 to name but two, but that first top tier scalp still evades us! Perhaps this is the year..........

I blame Drewe Broughton.

I believe that's the only time we've been drawn at home in the FA Cup to a top flight team in my life time.

One of the "interesting facts" about Southend United is that we are one of the few teams NEVER to have beaten a team from the top division in the F A Cup

What a depressing statistic !!!

It prompted me to dig out our most notable successes, results as follows

1920/21 Blackpool (H) 1-0 .. they finished the season 4th in Division 2
1925/26 Derby Co (H) 4-1 .. 2nd in Division 2
1956/57 Liverpool (A) 2-1 .. 3rd in Division 2

Thumbing through my records it appears that Watford and Gillingham have beaten us more than any others in the cup but its not a stat i want to research too closely if truth be told

Back