• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Capello looks set to the get the job by the end of tomorrow, being paid anything between £4m and £6m a year after giving an extremely impressive interview according to almost every media outlet this morning.

Whilst i'd probably prefer the FA to interview more candidates and deliberate further, I do think Capello is the strongest candidate after Mourinho pulled out. Will certainly cut the crap from the squad and sort the defence out. As for not playing "Sexy" football, we havent played attractive football since Euro '96 IMO and have achieved nothing... It'd be nice to notice no difference and win something.

wanted lippi personally but i think capello is a really top manager and just what we need... no nonsense and a proven winner. will get the best out of our players and will pick players with the best attitude, not just 'stars'

i sometimes wish the pay was performance based and not offered up front though

If he breaks the previously held McClaren/Sven philosophy of using the same bunch of overpaid millionaire ****ers no matter how many times they underperform or show that they cannot effectively play together, just because the you don't have the balls to drop big names I will be very happy. Bring on the cull!!

I'll be controversial as well and say they should drop Terry as captain. The scandal with his exploits at SWP's party and the habit he's developed this season of tearing over to the referee to contest each and every decision made against Chelsea is extremely unprofessional and the Captain should know better.

so who would you have instead?

Up until the last few internationals I would've said Gerrard, but his performances have been questionable at best. I'd personally like to see it given to Owen. One of the most senior players in the squad, a consistent performer when fit and one of the most professional players you'll find in the game. A modern day Lineker.

I imagine his interview could have simply been him putting his CV on the table and that should be enough to speak for itsefl.

The day McClaren was sacked someone asked me who I would want to replace him. Without a seconds thought I said Capello. He was always my first choice.

If he breaks the previously held McClaren/Sven philosophy of using the same bunch of overpaid millionaire ****ers no matter how many times they underperform or show that they cannot effectively play together, just because the you don't have the balls to drop big names I will be very happy. Bring on the cull!!

I agree. However, what will you say if he picks all the big names? Will you say that he is scared of dropping them, or will you admit that maybe he is correct, and by extension so was Sven and Steve? It's an interesting one, because i'm in the same boat. Will both of us be man enough to admit we're wrong? Hopefully it won't come to that!

i think that pretty much all our first 11 are big names and can probably be accused at times of not giving 100% or being a team player (apart from maybe terry, gnev and owen) and so if you drop so many of then, our 2nd string doesn't look too threatening really (alan smith anyone!)

capello has a big job on his hands, and i think instead of dropping loads of players he needs to reinspire them and make them really want to be successful

I think he's a good choice. He's got a proved track record, actually wants the job, and wouldn't be afraid of dropping the big name players when they underperform. I think the defence style of play would suit England, and all his testimonials suggest that he gets the best out of all the big name players, like he did with Beckham at Madrid. Undoubtedly there will be an Englishman in his back room staff so hopefully a future manager will be groomed for success!

Up until the last few internationals I would've said Gerrard, but his performances have been questionable at best. I'd personally like to see it given to Owen. One of the most senior players in the squad, a consistent performer when fit and one of the most professional players you'll find in the game. A modern day Lineker.

Owen as captain? :confused: He's one of the most quiet, shy footballers you'll see. Terry is rightly captain and I'm sure Capello won't change that.

Back