• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Great move by Faldo...

Faldo selects his sidekicks early

McGinley and Olazábal named as vice-captains
Both free to play if they are picked for Europe

Lawrence Donegan
Wednesday May 23, 2007
The Guardian

Old habits die hard for Nick Faldo, who earned a reputation for meticulous preparation as a player. As Europe's 2008 Ryder Cup captain the Englishman gave every indication yesterday that he is more than ready for the challenge that lies ahead by making a surprise early announcement of his vice-captains for next year's contest against the United States in Kentucky.
His choices were of the highest order. José María Olazábal, one of the finest Ryder Cup players of the modern era, and Paul McGinley, who holed the putt that won the 2002 cup at The Belfry and who has not been on a losing side in three appearances, have agreed to assist Faldo at the Valhalla club, albeit with one condition.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Their No1 goal is to make the team and I am in full support of that. If they do, then fine and I will go back into the woods and come up with two more names," Faldo said at Wentworth yesterday. "But they are two guys I have got good chemistry with. One is based mainly in the United States [Olazábal] and one based mainly in Europe and to have two players of their character and playing stature is very important to me."
Both players said they were surprised and honoured to have been asked. Olazábal has twice before been asked to be a vice-captain, by Sam Torrance in 2002 and by Bernhard Langer two years later. He declined both, saying he wanted to play his way on to their teams. The lure of helping Faldo win Europe's fourth successive cup proved too strong, however.

The Spaniard is currently ranked 26th in the world, making him the seventh-highest-ranked European, but at 41 he admits that time waits for no man, not even one possessing his short-game genius. "I am getting older," he said. "It's nice to be named by Nick to help him in any area I can and we will just see how things develop. Obviously it's a great feeling, but he knows it is my intention to be part of the team as a player."

Olazábal, who formed the most successful partnership in Ryder Cup history with Seve Ballesteros, is one of the most popular figures in the game and is all but guaranteed to be a future captain. McGinley, too, has improved his chances of one day leading the team, although with the likes of Colin Montgomerie waiting their turn the Irishman may have to wait a while.

"What a great honour to be picked by Nick," he said. "We all know his great record and how much he thinks about the game. But the main thing is that I want to play in this one. I'm thrilled that I'll be involved one way or another. I did think about it and asked some people's advice as my fear was losing the focus on my own game. Once I got that right in my head I was more than delighted to go ahead."

Faldo has "a simple goal" for next year's event, in which he will be up against his one-time adversary, and now good friend, the US captain Paul Azinger. "I want my team to win and I will concentrate on that," he said. "Momentum is a very important part of the Ryder Cup and we have been able to ride that wave. Yes we will go as favourites, and that's one of the things the team will have to deal with, but we start again from scratch. I want the team basically to come down to earth [after two nine-point wins]. It's a very important Ryder Cup for them, the tour and the record books."

Back