• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bielzibubz

President
When my mother sadly passed away in 2005 my sister and I got to thinking about our family history. At this point we realised we knew virtually nothing about my father, his family or that side of the family.

We knew where he grew up and that was it. My mother never talked about that side to the family and as far as we were concerned it was never discussed between them.
The research began in earnest with just a surname and nothing else and now 18 months later we have managed to trace 268 direct blood descendants and have been in contact with cousins we never knew existed still living in the area he grew up in

We have photo's dating back to 1840 of uncles and aunts. We now know that my 2nd great grandfather was one of the first timber merchants trading in the east end of London back in 1808 who subsequently went on to found one of the biggest timber merchants in the country (but sadly it was sold lock stock and barrel in the 1990's, so I'm still skint).

We have visited old homes where some of my descendents grew up. Paid our respects at graves of lost grandparents. Got copies of a book written about the family business. So much stuff.

Found out that one of the family was deported to America for 7 years in 1749 for highway robbery with violence by the Old Bailey in London and have since been in contact with American family members still living.
I've managed to get hold of the Ellis Island landing transcript of when he arrived and where he was sent afterwards.
Also got hold of the Old Bailey trial transcript detailing his testimony and witness statements etc.

Basically, what I'm saying is if anyone gets the chance or has the in-cling to research their family I strongly encourage them to do it. It really can be an eye opener for so many reasons.

Anyone else done this and got any stories to tell?

Tried digging it up, but if you ask me there's too many if's and buts and might-be's if you've got a common surname (I have). Think I went back to 1799 and found out the relatives on my mum's side were farmers in Paglesham. My dad's is a minefield and they seem to disapear off the census after 1881.

It's never like that on "Who do you think you are" programme - their ancestors were always interesting....mine just lived far to close to Col******r for my liking....
biggrin.gif

However, my grandmother's first husband was killed in WWI at Ypres and she married his brother (my grandfather). Never knew her, she was long dead before I was born, but my mum remembers her having 15(!) kids THAT LIVED!

I could be related to hundreds of ya.....
wink.gif

i dont know if its me, but researching family history is something i will probably leave till im a bit older.

However, many people ask me why im not interested in finding out, being that im 1/16th italian, and still have my italian surname (raffaelli).

I beleieve it was my great great grandfather who was iti.

Anyway, i nenevr thought much of it, until my sister was at York Uni, and one of her lecturers was called David Raffaelli.

It turns out that they are long lost relatives, and when our long way back family moved over to the Uk, it became split, North / South.

Anyhow, my sister got chatting to him, and it turned out his aunt resisded in Southend, and my sister went to see her... and she says she is the most boring person she ever met.
laugh.gif

I will defo look into it in the future, but not for now

I've been doing mine for a while now. We're partly decended from the French
mad.gif
The shame of it.
On another side part of my family were travellers from Arlesford in Hampshire... Chimney bloody sweeps
tounge.gif
"Mary poppins" an all that Gawd Blimey !

You can get your DNA tested for about $250 and find out despite all your red white and blue protestations you're descended from MMoobooo WWambdamb in bongo bong land.

It is very interesting, but all your expectations collapse with the awful reality..... yet somehow.... it is still heritage and I'm proud my great great great grandfather was a "Master Sweep ! "

I know that there's a park in London which bears a family name since, I believe, part of my family lived in or around that part of London for hundreds of years...  My Mum grew up two streets to the south of the park that bore her name - weird, eh?!

But that's the only family history I know...

rock.gif

Matt

Apparently one of my paternal relatives was hung for sheep rustling.

I know the shame......

.....he was Scottish
laugh.gif

I'd be wary about posting maternal family details more because mother's maiden name is a common security question!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 23 2006,14:50)]I'd be wary about posting maternal family details more because mother's maiden name is a common security question!
Good point. Thanks.

It's "hanged", by the way...

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2006,14:52)]It's "hanged", by the way...
Ah ok.

I presume "hung" is the past tense, whilst "was hanged" would be a different tense with a silly name.

You'd have thought grammar schools might teach English grammar....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 23 2006,15:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2006,14:52)]It's "hanged", by the way...
Ah ok.

I presume "hung" is the past tense, whilst "was hanged" would be a different tense with a silly name.

You'd have thought grammar schools might teach English grammar....
Pretty sure it's simply hanged for people and hung for everything else.

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2006,15:11)]Right, who's going to be first with the "I'm pretty well hung" joke?
You ruined DtS' plans for his Friday poll/topic there.........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2006,15:11)]Right, who's going to be first with the "I'm pretty well hung" joke?
Enough of your innuendo: I'm trying to have a serious 'eat, shoots and leaves' style grammar conversation with MtS.

There's nothing smutty in that.

I have done a fair bit of ferreting around . My grandfathers familiy were publicans in yarmouth, his Grandfather ran one particular pub from 1862-1870 then again from 1878-1886 when he died. The 1871 cenus has him as an inmate of yarmouth jail, we are keen to find out what that was for.
One of my wife's relatives died on the Lusitania amd ny mums great Grandfather was a Stick maker ??

oh my great uncles brothers daughters grandson is Russell Crowe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 23 2006,15:19)]I have done a fair bit of ferreting around . My grandfathers familiy were publicans in yarmouth, his Grandfather ran one particular pub from 1862-1870 then again from 1878-1886 when he died. The 1871 cenus has him as an inmate of yarmouth jail, we are keen to find out what that was for.
One of my wife's relatives died on the Lusitania amd ny mums great Grandfather was a Stick maker ??

oh my great uncles brothers daughters grandson is Russell Crowe
My lot back in the 1891 or 1881 census (can't remember which one) are from Yarmouth too. Probably got pi$$ed up at your distant relatives pub.

Others on my father's mother's side came to London from Germany. Very happy with that I am too, I might add!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 23 2006,15:17)]
[b said:
Enough of your innuendo: I'm trying to have a serious 'eat, shoots and leaves' style grammar conversation with MtS.

There's nothing smutty in that.
You've got to love the internet...

Hanged or Hung - pdf doc

cool.gif

Well you learn something new every day (although you also need to take sources on the internet with a pinch of salt).

I'd better find out if it was a mere hanging, or a full-scale hung, drawn and quartered.

Back