• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Famine...here we go again !

mrsblue

Banned
The media now bombarding us with the "crisis" in many parts of the world with the term "children" in the forefront.

Hmmmm all those charities and of course the hand outs by many countries all adds up to massive mountains of money BUT charities are pleading for another 5 billion dollars to halt the current situation.

Where is the evidence for this "crisis"....yeah we see a few kids unwell(the reason could be anything)but the adults all look well fed blah blah...lwhere is Sir Bob,surely he can feed the world yet again.

Con trick by Governments and the media IMO.

****ing hell.

Stop being gullible chap...have you actually seen any of this in person?

Every news item has been close camera footage focusing on just a few people,where are the wide shots showing heaving crowds craving for food,after all the media say there are millions on the verge of starving..where are they then.

Blimey you've excelled yourself this time mrsblue!... I can only put it down to the fact you've started on the Absinthe & Chilean marching powder earlier than usual. :smile:

I'm watching BBC national news now. On the ground reporters are telling of humanitarian disaster unfolding and the UN are calling for help. I took your advice mrsblue and ignored it all, it's all made up after all, eh?

At the risk of being fed to the lions, I think she might have a point (of sorts) tbis time. I have often wondered why the powers who throw foreign aid about to ease their consciences have never undertaken a project of running water from the coasts via man made waterways through salitation plants and into irrigation networks.

Chucking a couple of tons of rice out the back of a lorry only prolongs the problem and fails to provide any solutions. Whats to stop such a thing from happening if the powers that be are really serious about feeding the world and preserving life.

At the risk of being fed to the lions, I think she might have a point (of sorts) tbis time. I have often wondered why the powers who throw foreign aid about to ease their consciences have never undertaken a project of running water from the coasts via man made waterways through salitation plants and into irrigation networks.

Chucking a couple of tons of rice out the back of a lorry only prolongs the problem and fails to provide any solutions. Whats to stop such a thing from happening if the powers that be are really serious about feeding the world and preserving life.

I certainly wouldn't throw you to the lions and your points do have substance, but the original post is not about Governments throwing money at crises or for that matter not providing long term solutions to water shortage per se. The opening post is denying that anything bad is happening in Africa at the moment.

Well for a start it would ruin many a talentless boy/girl "band" Christmas careers.

Water companies spend about £5 billion on operating expenditure a year, and we already have all the infrastructure in place, part of foreign aid does go towards providing clean water but it's nowhere near as simple as you're making out to get clean water running in a country.

http://www.water.org.uk/policy/financing-industry/finance-briefings

Water companies spend about £5 billion on operating expenditure a year, and we already have all the infrastructure in place, part of foreign aid does go towards providing clean water but it's nowhere near as simple as you're making out to get clean water running in a country.

http://www.water.org.uk/policy/financing-industry/finance-briefings

I never said it was easy, I was asking if it was feasible. Spain runs water from the north to the drier south so why can't the same be done in Africa all be it on a grander scale.

Spain has even imported water from France before now.It's all about money.

Never knew that, live and learn. I still maintain that if the rich nations really want to make a real difference then money can't be an obstacle. It's a boring excuse when billions get pi$$ed up the wall each and every day by just about every government in the world. The mis-information, tin foil brigade in me might just think its population control. I hope not.

I'm watching BBC national news now. On the ground reporters are telling of humanitarian disaster unfolding and the UN are calling for help. I took your advice mrsblue and ignored it all, it's all made up after all, eh?

What did you exactly see then?

ITV showed 3 scenes which depicted an unwell child....how the hell is this any proof of a major disaster,it means nothing,but many viewers will be rushing to donate their tenners to help fund the charity top cats salaries circa £150,000 plus.

I mean where is the evidence...showing a few unwell kids doesn't depict any major crisis,does it.

How much cash have the Uk thrown into this madness during the last decade...100 billion...then add every other country with their hand out...total over a trillion quid,yet it achieved nothing.

money rules ok.

I never said it was easy, I was asking if it was feasible. Spain runs water from the north to the drier south so why can't the same be done in Africa all be it on a grander scale.

We only spent £2.54 billion on foreign aid to Africa last year, that's just over half of what we spend maintaining our already existing system, and we're one country not a continent like Africa, which is 147 times bigger than us (with a lot more landmass not near water). So we'd need to up the budget by a ridiculous amount to even have a chance of solving the problem, not to mention African governments on the coast probably are going to want something in exchange for letting us build pipelines through their countries to assist other nations.

What did you exactly see then?

ITV showed 3 scenes which depicted an unwell child....how the hell is this any proof of a major disaster,it means nothing,but many viewers will be rushing to donate their tenners to help fund the charity top cats salaries circa £150,000 plus.

I mean where is the evidence...showing a few unwell kids doesn't depict any major crisis,does it.

I don't know where to start when it comes to debating this with you. You don't appear to want to believe anything that is reported from reputable news agencies or Official UN reports. Instead you demand to see the evidence. I actually think it doesn't really matter what happens on the African continent because its not something you care about or contribute financially to. That's your choice obviously but for what it's worth here's a BBC web page reporting on South Sudan where the country has declared a famine in parts of it's country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39025927

In fairness RHB she did solve the OAP crisis at Christmas by peeling vegetables at a meal centre, or did she we have no proof ....

UTS

Back