• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

At the weekend in my local I had the dubious pleasure of some joker (a 62-year-old Watford fan) trying to convince me that the Jimmy Greaves played first-team football for Southend United at the end of his career. He was convinced that he was right. Of course, we all know it's utter b******s, although his son Danny made over 50 appearances for the Shrimpers in the early 80s before injury cut short his professional career.

So, it got us thinking. Who is the most famous footballer to join Southend United? Before you all come back with Stan Collymore, I mean a player who was famous BEFORE he came to Roots Hall. Someone like Ronnie Whelan or Mike Marsh. Any other candidates? Does Tony Currie count?

WS

Phil Chisnall?
Eddie Firmani? Ah, now there's a possibility!
Frank Lampard? Hmm, perhaps a bit borderline....
Paul Brush? No, that's pushing it a bit.
Derek Spence? Famous for, er, being Derek Spence.

Unless I'm missing the obvious (quite possible in fact), then I'd go for Firmani. I don't think Tony Currie counts as he never actually made it onto the pitch.

Lee Chapman
ghostface.gif

I've heard of one hit wonders, but just one game... what a sore loser!
mad.gif

I'd say it's between Ronnie Whelan and Neville Southall, with Eddie Firmani close behind.

Bobby Moore and if he was alive today would be Sir Bobby....it shames English football that Southend were the only professional club to give him a job in football...West Ham only recognised his achievements after he died....

Dave Webb Chelsea hero in the 1970 FA Cup Final.....

Billy Best.
Bill Garner.
Phil Chisnal.
Trevor Fitzpatrick (Irish International).

Back