• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans At Roots Hall - has anyone seen this story?

I think it's because no one believes the current people charged for the crime actually done it.

I have real close affinity with it all because one of my best mates from childhood dad was one of the original detectives that worked on the case, and I also lived in the village next to the one where Leah Betts died from an overdose of the Essex boy's supply.

My mates dad still to this day does not believe the guys in prison are actually guilty (guilty of being petty criminals of course) there is still so many loose ends with the case, a member of his team wrote a book on it and basically the whole squad have always been unsatisfied with the verdict.

The main reason the verdict was concluded was because of mobile phone records, but it's still disputed today. The tech back then was in early development really and was not reliable at all. The old bailey practically played it safe and went for the easy coup of blaming it on petty criminals (my personal opinion)

Still, makes for a good chat at the end of the day. Shame they have milked these films and dramatised it to the max. Because when its all said and done, they were horrible bastards who ruined lives.

One of the guys who went down went to my old man's scrap yard a few times - he thought he was the bees knees and acted like a low rent gangster.

Because when its all said and done, they were horrible bastards who ruined lives.

At the time this happened I was teaching at school in Basildon (coincidentally in the road next to where Tate lived) and the morning after the killings our community policeman turned up. I asked him about the incident and his reply was along the lines of "Let's say that no one at Basildon nick has gone into mourning".

They were no great loss to the world and should certainly not be lionised or even remembered.

Yep exactly. I get that it's part of local history and maybe a proper factual programme would have been mildly interesting for some, but I imagine there are plenty out there that want money for nothing that will aspire to be the next Tucker, Rolfe or Tate. They may just end up gong the same way
I know of the "Essex Boys" Rettendon murders. But haven't watched or ready up on any of it even thought i'm 2/3 miles from Fobbing where one of them was from (but didn't know his name)

I thought Tony Tucker was just a character name they was using. Bit like Billy Bunter

One of the guys who went down went to my old man's scrap yard a few times - he thought he was the bees knees and acted like a low rent gangster.

Was it Jack Whomes or Michael Steele?

And honestly, none of what you said surprises me. Loads of people/friends local to me (south woodham ferrers) who knew of and also had strong connections to both men have always said neither of them had it in them to pull off such a thing.

Detective Supt Dibley, the gentleman who was first on the scene said he never seen anything like it, it was actually very sophisticated in the way the murder was done. Dibley also worked on a theory where he thought maybe only 2 of the essex boys were shot and the 3rd killed himself. No signs of struggle at all

The line "However, it was somehow OK for one stand to be full of paid extras as filming took place" sums up the lack of effort that went into writing this article.

I know of the "Essex Boys" Rettendon murders. But haven't watched or ready up on any of it even thought i'm 2/3 miles from Fobbing where one of them was from (but didn't know his name)

I thought Tony Tucker was just a character name they was using
. Bit like Billy Bunter

Nope, that was his real name

Titles a bit misleading. They are actors and extras.

As for the film franchise. Its pretty weak although I had met one or two of the characters involved.

Kev knew most of the people involved through his time as a PO, there certainly seems to be more to the story than what the public perception is.

On this film, I saw someone from the production company defending the use of our ground and talking about the "actors"in these scenes being in a bubble - well, I think that's as big a load of bull as you'll ever read because I'm told, one of the main people in the crowd is a shop owner from Canvey and many of the others are simply his mates that he rounded up for the film.

What a load of rubbish. Firstly, I doubt anyone was outraged. Secondly, I suspect everyone will be happy the club are making a few quid. Thirdly, the article says it looked like there was no social distancing and yet it also mentions people were told to remove their masks for filming. Fourthly, that clip lasts about 15 seconds so the chances are that the whole scene was set up before the extras were situated. They were probably there less than 10 minutes before they all dispersed ready for the next scene.

Typical Daily Fail trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Well the thing is if they’re not in a bubble or been tested beforehand then yes I do have a problem with it. We’re not allowed 2500 people in spread out with rows left free but they can pack in to 1 block.

Just for the record I thought I gave an exceptional performance in this, along with Benedict Cumberbatch, Ioan Griffod, Rufus Sewell, Albert Finney, Michael Gambon, Ciaron Hinds and Toby Jones

Attachments

• amazing-grace-1024x852.jpg
    amazing-grace-1024x852.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
And honestly, none of what you said surprises me. Loads of people/friends local to me (south woodham ferrers) who knew of and also had strong connections to both men have always said neither of them had it in them to pull off such a thing.

I have 2 good mates who were in The Travellers Joy pub, when all 5 of them walked in, a short time before the murders allegedly happened.
Only reason my mates remembered that, was because of the size of both Tucker & Tate!.

Detective Supt Dibley, the gentleman who was first on the scene said he never seen anything like it, it was actually very sophisticated in the way the murder was done. Dibley also worked on a theory where he thought maybe only 2 of the essex boys were shot and the 3rd killed himself. No signs of struggle at all

They had so many enemies, and so many drug suppliers they ripped off, that it might not have been Whomes and Steele. They were really convicted on the evidence of super grass Darren Nicholls. The trouble being he was druggie and drug dealer, and fantasist, and kept changing his story. Nicholls was involved in drug deals between these main players, but he was more their dogs body. Many have suggested that he concocted his story to give the police the convictions they wanted to solve the case, and saving himself from many years in prison.

Back