• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News 'Fans could be back for start of next season'

As a fairly fit 62 year carrying a little bit of a spare tyre. I still work a few days a week partly physical. Still carrying on during this crisis.
It worry's me yes, but the mental health of the country. Plus many people who have there whole lives in front of them are losing there jobs. A lot of that would not happen or about to happen if we opened certain things up.
I can give one example I have just bought a static caravan on a site in Norfolk. I don't see why a owner cant go there yet. The local Caister/Norfolk economy is struggling. People are being laid off. Not too get a job for a long while and those long trem health effects. Also a dear friend was due Cancer treatment that is on hold due to COVID 19. Yes put certain measurces in place, but also think of the damage we are doing too many other's.
So Yes lets be cautious about COVID 19, but lets not say that's the only problems we have.
I do agree with the timeing's of opening up and what restrictrictions, but let's us 50/ 60 year old's think about the young ones.
Final point social distance. I and many other's think the younger people get it more than a minority of the over 70's. When in my local Sainsbury's at Rochford often a over 70's pushes or barges past to get something from the shelf. Our Tuesday outdoor market, at the veg stall the owners had to keep telling some of that age group. Dont keep leaning in front of people and pushing in, despite adequate signage provision. I do think some don't get it or dare I say don't want to get it.
Anyway I still have to think shall I renew my season ticket that I have held for over 30 years, due to covid 19.

Last edited:
As a fairly fit 62 year carrying a little bit of a spare tyre. I still work a few days a week partly physical. Still carrying on during this crisis.
It worry's me yes, but the mental health of the country. Plus many people who have there whole lives in front of them are losing there jobs. A lot of that would not happen or about to happen if we opened certain things up.
I can give one example I have just bought a static caravan on a site in Norfolk. I don't see why a owner cant go there yet. The local Caister/Norfolk economy is struggling. People are being laid off. Not too get a job for a long while and those long trem health effects. Also a dear friend was due Cancer treatment that is on hold due to COVID 19. Yes put certain measurces in place
So Yes lets be cautious about COVID 19, but lets not say that's the only problems we have.
I do agree with the timeing's of opening up and what restrictrictions, but let's us 50/ 60 year old's think about the young ones.
Final point social distance. I and many other's think the younger people get it more than a minority of the over 70's. When in my local Sainsbury's at Rochford often a over 70's pushes or barges past to get something from the shelf. Our Tuesday outdoor market, at the veg stall the owners had to keep telling some of that age group. Dont keep leaning in front of people and pushing in, despite adequate signage provision. I do think some don't get it or dare I say don't want to get it.
Anyway I still have to think shall I renew my season ticket that I have held for over 30 years, due to covid 19.
This is what i was trying to say open things up but cautiously, ease the restrictions ut cautiously.

Agree re older people in Sainsbury’s for sure.

I will renew my 2 season tickets even if not safe to go for myself, but I do understand your sentiments

Working in the hospitality industry. I don't think at the moment reducing the 2 meter rule is correct. However we are not far off due to the lowering of the amount of people getting Covid 19, and sadly passing away.
However we are not far away from that decision. If and its a big if we carry on at the same pace.
I can see probably 3 weeks say a week or two after 4 th July.

i think the antibody test is a big thing as a large pecentage of people will test positive ..

almost a case of having normal stadium seating for positive people

Scrap the "2 metre" rule which very few countries have imposed even at the height of the Wuhan Plague pandemic and this will be a hell of a lot lot easier.

It might also mean that schools, restaurants, pubs , cinemas and concert venues might be able to open again in my lifetime too.

Cinemas are due to re-open in Madrid and Barcelona (and I believe elsewhere in Spain they already have)grnted at 40% of capacity maximum.Restaurants in Barna re-opened last Monday (again at 4o% capacity maximum.It's obviously more difficult for football grounds,pubs,concert venues and schools.

I imagine you are aware of the dangers of scrapping the "2 metre rule"? It would cost lives.(I'm sure it will be gradually relaxed over time but hopefully not just yet).

Reactions: GBJ
i think the antibody test is a big thing as a large pecentage of people will test positive ..

About 5% of the Spanish population (and I believe that's similar in the UK) have been tested positive for antibodies .That's nowhere near the 60% needed to develop so called "herd immunity".

But that doesn’t mean they cannot get it again does it? The anti body thing is not something i have read a lot about

Been watching the sports / entertainment industry developments with keen interest (a job that kind of relies on it being functional and being furloughed right now being the main reason)

Anyway, something is definitely going on. Received an email this morning saying that some Bare Knuckle Boxing event at the Indigo is taking bookings from today for an event on 6th September.

It seems like there's something in the works for lifting the mass gathering rule at the end of August... what that means is something else, but I think that this is all in the planning for a phased return to "normality". How comfortable I am with that, I don't know.

I reckon that semi pro sports will see a lifting far sooner with the Conference kicking off possibly almost on time. Lower tier sports will have capacity caps in place. Issue will be managing "elite" sports, the travel involved (take for example West Ham) moving something like 20,000 people from all parts of Essex up into London to mix and then go back home is going to be nothing short of disaster if the infection rate continues to simmer at around the 1,000 mark each day. We'll be seeing spikes in no time.

That said though, the Stone Island casuals will love being encouraged to cover their faces now...

I think the lifting of the 2 metre thing is entirely dependent on the chances of spreading Covid being close to zero is it not? If the R rate is very low, surely mass gatherings will be then deemed “safe” as the chances of infection are extremely slim? We aren’t there yet obviously. Maybe we will be in a few weeks? Unless we get this “second wave” that people keep talking about. Which we haven’t seen yet despite people flouting the rules blatantly everywhere since the “stay home” message was dropped.
I think if in 2 weeks the figures keep falling then the justification for keeping the rule in place starts to look very questionable.

R will fluctuate now like a mad thing. Cases are low so it can’t be measured that way any more.

I think the lifting of the 2 metre thing is entirely dependent on the chances of spreading Covid being close to zero is it not? If the R rate is very low, surely mass gatherings will be then deemed “safe” as the chances of infection are extremely slim? We aren’t there yet obviously. Maybe we will be in a few weeks? Unless we get this “second wave” that people keep talking about. Which we haven’t seen yet despite people flouting the rules blatantly everywhere since the “stay home” message was dropped.
I think if in 2 weeks the figures keep falling then the justification for keeping the rule in place starts to look very questionable.

But that doesn’t mean they cannot get it again does it? The anti body thing is not something i have read a lot about

No it doesn't.Not necessarily anyway.My wife was talking to our neighbour at number 1 (we're number 3 in a cul del sac, yesterday.He did catch Covid (round about the beginining of the lockdown here back in mid-March and wasn't even aware of it until he and his wife were tested recently.She was negative.he was positive.He's been told to be very careful in the event of a second wave.Apparently he may not have enough antibodies in his system.The Doctors just don't know yet.

Currently we have the partially sighted leading the blind unfortunately. It's best to look at what other countries are doing and follow what works (or borrow Merkel for 3 months- maybe some sort of loan system).

Looks like the App that was crucial to test, track and trace (oh sorry test and trace) is now being abandoned altogether. Having decided (stupidly) to try and develop our own apparently we are going to use the one the other countries are using. So a few more weeks/months wasted..

If you want to know when crowds will be back keep an eye on Germany- when they work out the way to do it then probably we will.

We are still waiting for the VE day 2nd wave, the beach 2nd wave, the first relaxation of lockdown 2nd wave. All of the idiots in the parks, protesting, not social distancing at all. It isn't coming.

I saw a sensationalist headline yesterday about a devastating 2nd wave in Beijing. I read the article and it was 36 cases in a city with 22million people in it!!!

New cases per day are close to 3 figures. 1,218 announced today and its trending downwards.

Only about 20 footballers found positive out of about 10,000 tests that they have done. The virus is either dying out or so many people have had it and not known about it that they have the antibodies.

My missus had it 2 weeks before lockdown started, and was quite poorly for a few days. I had a tiny sore throat for a couple of days. If COVID wasn't around I wouldn't have even noticed, it was that mild.

If they start the season a bit late (late August/Early September), that is 10 weeks away. Think how much the virus has gone in the last 10 weeks.

We are still waiting for the VE day 2nd wave, the beach 2nd wave, the first relaxation of lockdown 2nd wave. All of the idiots in the parks, protesting, not social distancing at all. It isn't coming.

I saw a sensationalist headline yesterday about a devastating 2nd wave in Beijing. I read the article and it was 36 cases in a city with 22million people in it!!!

New cases per day are close to 3 figures. 1,218 announced today and its trending downwards.

Only about 20 footballers found positive out of about 10,000 tests that they have done. The virus is either dying out or so many people have had it and not known about it that they have the antibodies.

My missus had it 2 weeks before lockdown started, and was quite poorly for a few days. I had a tiny sore throat for a couple of days. If COVID wasn't around I wouldn't have even noticed, it was that mild.

If they start the season a bit late (late August/Early September), that is 10 weeks away. Think how much the virus has gone in the last 10 weeks.
FWIW I think the pencilled in date to start the new season the EFL has in mind is 12th Sept- probably where it needs to be in order to have the best chance of getting some people in stadia, whilst also leaving time to finish the season ahead of next years Euros.

An obvious first step would be to allow season ticket holders only in based on initial 25% capacity and build from there- but who knows by Sept they may be able to do more.

Worth noting that china has closed schools again die to a second wave. However, there have treated things differently to us

Shame the 40,000 +who have died ,did not have the choice, I o fear a second wave and then a permanent lockdown, not the whimsical one we have now.
I don't want to carry on this debate (even though I appear to have started it) but this "40,000+ have died" business really irks me. Yes, 40,000 have died since the outbreak but does anybody seriously believe that had it not been for the plague that all of those 40,000+ people would be happily living their lives today? Of course they wouldn't.

A few 1000 perhaps which is tragic but those 40,000+ are recorded as having died "with" not necessarily "from" the virus. And if you had any knowledge of how death certificates are currently being filled in you would know that "Covid-19" is almost becoming a catch all diagnosis, even if patients have not been actually tested.

And a permanent lockdown? Are you serious? Not that it would ever happen but if it did people would be better off getting the death plague as there would be no life worth living.

No it doesn't.Not necessarily anyway.My wife was talking to our neighbour at number 1 (we're number 3 in a cul del sac, yesterday.He did catch Covid (round about the beginining of the lockdown here back in mid-March and wasn't even aware of it until he and his wife were tested recently.She was negative.he was positive.He's been told to be very careful in the event of a second wave.Apparently he may not have enough antibodies in his system.The Doctors just don't know yet.

There have been 8,500,000 tested positive cases worldwide (source worldometers) and there will be many times that number that have not been tested. There has not been one confirmed case of anyone getting this twice. I agree that does not mean no one can ever catch it again. As someone that has tested positive for antibodies I like my chances right now of not catching it again. I just don't know for how long.

I don't want to carry on this debate (even though I appear to have started it) but this "40,000+ have died" business really irks me. Yes, 40,000 have died since the outbreak but does anybody seriously believe that had it not been for the plague that all of those 40,000+ people would be happily living their lives today? Of course they wouldn't.

A few 1000 perhaps which is tragic but those 40,000+ are recorded as having died "with" not necessarily "from" the virus. And if you had any knowledge of how death certificates are currently being filled in you would know that "Covid-19" is almost becoming a catch all diagnosis, even if patients have not been actually tested.

And a permanent lockdown? Are you serious? Not that it would ever happen but if it did people would be better off getting the death plague as there would be no life worth living.

The excess death rate is the important figure here:-

The excess death rate is the important figure here:-

Yes I agree, but many people just bandy about the 40000+ figure like those are the deaths on top of what would normally be expected which they are not. Many will be because of the virus and many may also be as a consequence of some of the measures put in place to try to deal with it.

Until all the dust settles in a few years or so and proper research into ALL the figures is completed then no one knows for sure. And perhaps never will.

Back