• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Name or Not?

• The Blue Voice

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • The North Bank Army

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • The 1906 Army

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other (Please suggest)

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
So a few of us have thought that The Blue Voice name and overall operation has become a little stale.

As such a name change maybe in order, to tie in with a re-launch next season.

We are also working hard to secure the North Bank again on a permanent (depending on away numbers) basis next season. Regardless of division.

A few names have been banded about.

Do you think we should change the name?

Have you any suggestions?

How about Roots Hall Army, then that covers all the ground... after all, I am in South Upper and many of us sing there... even if you can't hear us from the North. I think it would encourage more supporters to sing too.:thumbsup:

I can understand Smiffy wanting to freshen things up a bit, but I still think The Blue Voice is the correct name as for one it is "already out there" established and somewhere about with fans there are 10,000 flags with the name of it printed on them...I think changing the name to say for instance North Bank Army just incorporates that area of the ground rather than the whole crowd. The large flags that we still have were not cheap and they to incorporate TBV. I am sure if we need the clubs help with buying anything for the Play-offs etc or in the future, they are going to be more willing to help if it involves all fans rather than just one section.

I am just putting my opinion down here.

How about Roots Hall Army, then that covers all the ground... after all, I am in South Upper and many of us sing there... even if you can't hear us from the North. I think it would encourage more supporters to sing too.:thumbsup:

A fair suggestion and one I have thought about.

The thing is, we need a name that we can transfer to the new stadium if and when it arrives. Obviously we will need to register a domain name etc, so anything that needs to be changed again, if and when we move, becomes costly.

Trouble with North Bank Army, is that when we get bigger away crowds there won't be any Shrimpers in the north bank, so it'll look a bit daft in my eyes, and I agree with John that it isolates 3/4s of the rest of the ground.

Think The North Bank Army is good.
I know a few people have said it's a bit elitist in terms of location , but think that's being a bit pedantic.
I sit in the East with my son ( who is urging me to move to the North ) but that's my choice and think the name should reflect the guys who are driving this.
My only thought is that it would be good to have the middle sections permanently , regardless of who we are playing , so wonder if there is anyway the club can accomodate the away fans elsewhere ?
South lower ? The corner of North / West ?
I don't know how practical it is , but surely most clubs accomodate their own 'main' section first and the away fans have to take what they are given.

The thing is, we need a name that we can transfer to the new stadium if and when it arrives. Obviously we will need to register a domain name etc, so anything that needs to be changed again, if and when we move, becomes costly.

Why will it have to change again at the new ground? The Blue Voice will carry across fine?

I think Smiffy is just trying to cash in on the TBV badges that he and The Trust still have to make them collectable items. :winking:

Blue Voice sounds much more positive to me.

Anything with Army at the end sounds a bit "silly".

Why will it have to change again at the new ground? The Blue Voice will carry across fine?

Yes, TBV is fine.

But things like Roots Hall Army of course could pose a problem.

I'm thinking North Bank Army can be transferred as well. We just take the North Stand at FF and re-name "North Bank"

Sorry I forgot about that... Keep the Blue Voice.. as has been already stated.. the cost of replacing flags etc is an unnecessary expenditure, why not introduce a new song .. one with language every age would be willing to sing.. :thumbsup:

The "Army" bit to me portrays a thuggish element for some and maybe a turn off for a lot of the fans,whereas TBV sounds nicer to me.

Let's all go skipping later :smile:

Blue Voice sounds much more positive to me.

Anything with Army at the end sounds a bit "silly".

Fair enough.

If the majority still like "The Blue Voice" then we may as well stick with it.

Keep the opinion and suggestions coming people. This is about all of you. And we want to make a massive push next season, after a couple of "quieter" seasons.

Still would prefer Southend Ultras. I know some will associate that with an hooligan element but it isn't so I fail to see the problem. Never really liked The Blue Voice thing, sounds a little Salvation Army to me. Just my own tuppenceworth, not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way knowing how much effort Smithy and Cricko have put into this.

Personally I think the Blue Voice does what it says on the tin and the name should be retained for the following reasons:-

1. It's about the vocal support, the Voice, supporting the team, in Blue.:clap:

2. As others have said, it's not ground geography specific, anybody, anywhere in the ground, who wants to be can be a member of TBV whenever they want, and for however long they want.

3. As Cricko says, the brand has been established, at no small cost and to completely rebrand would cost quite a bit to replace at a time when there is far less money about than there was.:'(

4. In the new ground it would need to rebrand again if it was found that the 'popular' end wasn't the North....:thumbdown:

5. Retaining the name wouldn't stop any revamp of the logo/image, many companies retain their name but renew their brand image on a regular basis.

6. There is no reason why older TBV banners/flags can't still be used as a 'legacy' badge, there are still many who take pride in wearing their 'legacy' colours or, on occasion, bringing their Millenium Stadium LDV flags out of mothballs. People take a pride in the history.

7. The concept and the name is known to most, to change the name would mean having to start from scratch again to establish the brand, think how long it took Norwich Union to re-establish themselves as Aviva, still confuse them with the local bus company. :smiles:

By all means let's see a freshening up and a fresh focus but I feel to go right back to the beginning would be counterproductive.

Smiffy,

For those of us that take an interest in the excellent work that you have been doing with The Blue Voice, I think it is only right that you continue your efforts under this banner. It may have taken a while to spread the word but the impact will help as it coincides with the move to The North Bank. It is clear from reading this site that The Blue Voice are taking over the North Bank and that you go there to sing up for the Blues.

Changing name would lose the great lengths you have gone to, to get to where you are now. let's not be modest about this... you have done a great job. Bear in mind we are a club that even with all our difficulties you have given us something to cheer about and be optimistic for. I have vivid images in my mind of the balloons, banners, flags etc that have been used to create an atmosphere and I 100% link this to The Blue Voice.

Absolutely no need for a name change in my opinion. I will voice my support and say that what you are doing is fantastic and you can't look beyond the communication avenues with the club that are being opened up too. Don't doubt it mate, it's brilliant and I am sure you have many on here who will support you. If you need moral support or any input give me a shout and I will do my best.

Good luck mate and keep up the good work.

Back