• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans led review of Football -approved by Government

I was lucky enough to be part of the team from Blackpool Supporters Trust who gave evidence to Tracey Crouch last year. We also put in written evidence which I've attached a link to. Part B, plus all the diagrams, might interest you Barry.

Thank you for posting the Blackpool Supporters Trust report to Tracey Crouch and the Independent Review of Football

Truly an amazing story and so many features close to our own experience. Your report is so well constructed and a huge effort must have gone into it, so many congratulations for all your efforts and wisdom of your contributors

Very sadly now though given the sprawling bundle of wished for legislation this chaotic Government crafted, presumably most of which just fades away and our chances of seeing the reports major recommendations implemented disappear for sometime, especially as Boris limps on with a Cabinet in theory unable to make much in the way of decisions until way into the Autumn and a new leadership is in place

Thanks Barry, we are pretty proud if it.

On what happens next, I think your fears are very reasonable but I am more hopeful. The White Paper should come out in the early autumn, and in terms of the legislative programme for 22/23 and 23/24, what falls, what survives and what ends up being brought forward is very much up in the air for the moment.

I don't think a change of Government would make a lot of difference either. There is strong cross-party support for this reform.

Just seen this on front page of the Times .( I dont read it ) and apparently the article is on page 82, if anyone has a copy and can shed more light ?

" The New Government is considering putting plans for an independent football regulator on hold and giving the game a deadline to suggest a workable alternative "

Classic , thanks Liz !

I expect there will be a bit of an outcry on this and the chance to sign yet another petition and write to my MP etc

Yep. Sort out the wealth distribution and you solve most problems in football. But of course, it's incredibly unpopular with the most powerful clubs, so it's been shelved. There's very little point in the rest of it if you don't sort out the wealth distribution - it's the biggest issue!

Football often reflects life itself......Which is why that will never happen.

Barry

you may have seen some promising articles in the Mail and the Times in recent days (firewall protected, I'm afraid). Fingers crossed.

Barry

you may have seen some promising articles in the Mail and the Times in recent days (firewall protected, I'm afraid). Fingers crossed.
Barry

Thanks for the tip off br, much appreciated

Here are the Mails comments

"English football is set to undergo its biggest revolution since the formation of the Premier League in 1992 with the introduction of a football regulator in the new year.

Despite years of lobbying against the change, the Premier League, which only two months ago was celebrating having killed off the threat, has failed in its mission, with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said to have signed off the regulator.

The Government will present its White Paper or proposed legislation in the new year, though there will be no announcement during the World Cup or indeed before Christmas"

The proposals, which are likely to become law by 2024, will see a panel appointed to search for an appropriate individual to head the independent football regulator, an office which would have directors and scores of members of staff, overseeing the most contentious issues in the game.

The prospect of regulation is as such a huge blow to the Premier League, with Leeds chief executive Angus Kinnear likening a regulator to ‘Maoism’, the Chinese form of communism.

The ultimate regulator of football is likely to be someone with a deep knowledge of financial regulation, as the bulk of its work will be in preventing another Bury or Derby. Bury went out of existence in 2019 after running up huge debts while Derby have experienced multiple financial crises and points deductions, leaving them on the brink of extinction, after they gambled on borrowed money to make the Premier League.
It should be a boost for the EFL in its negotiations for a fairer deal with the Premier League, with the top-flight clubs now aware they will have to make a generous offer to share their wealth or else a regulator will intervene.

EFL chief executive Rick Parry, whose members are in favour of regulation, is asking for the EFL to take 25 per cent of the combined total of Premier League and EFL TV money, which would amount to approximately an extra £280 million a year a year, or £14m a year per Premier League club. Parachute payments, which means clubs relegated to the Championship receive around £44 million, which softens the blow of relegation but which distorts the EFL, are already being reformed and will likely be abolished completely now a regulator is coming into play.

Fans should also benefit from a regulator. Crouch’s review recommended that all clubs should appoint shadow fan boards with whom they would have to consult on their plans and major decisions.

It also proposed that fans should have a golden share in their club, which though having no financial value, would exercise a veto over major decisions, such as the sale of a stadium, relocation, a club joining a new competition.
]

!

Reading that i cant believe a club would receive 44million for getting relegated from the premier league ,sounds to me incredibly stupid ,money that could be distributed to the lower divisions as far as im concerned .The rich get richer even when they are relegated, unbelieveable.

The devil will be in the detail. But this really is very encouraging, especially as Crouch said she was offering a holistic solution to the game's problems, rather than a "pick and mix" menu for the authorities to cherry pick from.

The press coverage is suggesting that DCMS are being very robust on both scope and powers of the independent regulator, and on reforms to governance. Hopefully the latter will enshrine supporter representation through Fan Advisory Boards or something like it. Hopefully we will see a golden share / veto arrangement for so-called "legacy" issues as well. I think that is the very minimum that is needed.

There are bound to be some political fudges ; DCMS are very wary about constraining inward investment in football from "friendly" countries, but hopefully there will be a tougher line on state-owned corporations such as that which acquired Newcastle.

I also think they will take a softly softly approach to issues around diversity and inclusion, but I hope they are strong on player welfare.

The elephant lurking at the back is financial distribution. That is where the really big row will happen, I think.

Interesting times ahead.

The devil will be in the detail. But this really is very encouraging, especially as Crouch said she was offering a holistic solution to the game's problems, rather than a "pick and mix" menu for the authorities to cherry pick from.

The press coverage is suggesting that DCMS are being very robust on both scope and powers of the independent regulator, and on reforms to governance. Hopefully the latter will enshrine supporter representation through Fan Advisory Boards or something like it. Hopefully we will see a golden share / veto arrangement for so-called "legacy" issues as well. I think that is the very minimum that is needed.

There are bound to be some political fudges ; DCMS are very wary about constraining inward investment in football from "friendly" countries, but hopefully there will be a tougher line on state-owned corporations such as that which acquired Newcastle.

I also think they will take a softly softly approach to issues around diversity and inclusion, but I hope they are strong on player welfare.

The elephant lurking at the back is financial distribution. That is where the really big row will happen, I think.

Interesting times ahead.
DCMS ?

BBC reported today that the White Paper will be out in a fortnight or so.
Thanks as usual br for the heads up !! much appreciated

Excellent news, I hope the white paper has some genuine teeth

For fans on this zone here's a reminder about what white papers are

White papers are policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. White Papers are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned.

Would like to see a draft version of the law to be published

Thanks as usual br for the heads up !! much appreciated

Excellent news, I hope the white paper has some genuine teeth

For fans on this zone here's a reminder about what white papers are

White papers are policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. White Papers are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned.

Would like to see a draft version of the law to be published
Fingers crossed Barry.

My personal wish list :

• independent regulator with flexibly drawn powers
  • regulator powers to include ability to make recommendations on financial distribution, governance of FA and leagues
  • phased removal of parachute payments
  • some form of salary cap **
  • tougher tests for Owners and Directors (separate tests), periodically reviewed
  • licensing of clubs
  • golden share / veto powers for fan groups on "legacy" issues (like competition participation, stadium moves, club colours)
  • some sort of fan-led scrutiny (Shadow Boards, perhaps)
  • much stronger requirements on protecting player welfare

** I doubt I will get that one

Fingers crossed Barry.

My personal wish list :

• independent regulator with flexibly drawn powers
  • regulator powers to include ability to make recommendations on financial distribution, governance of FA and leagues
  • phased removal of parachute payments
  • some form of salary cap **
  • tougher tests for Owners and Directors (separate tests), periodically reviewed
  • licensing of clubs
  • golden share / veto powers for fan groups on "legacy" issues (like competition participation, stadium moves, club colours)
  • some sort of fan-led scrutiny (Shadow Boards, perhaps)
  • much stronger requirements on protecting player welfare

** I doubt I will get that one
That would be a pretty impressive start !

A decent level of fan led scrutiny , a golden share and tougher tests on Owners would be valuable to Southend right now,

The BBC and other major outlets already have it, but full reporting restrictions not lifted until 10.30. Oral statement in the HoC and publication at 11.30.

Removal of Chairman and Board members from influencing/directing the player signing process wold be on my wish list.

Any way we can squeeze in the removal of post match interviews with managers and players and simply put a pre-prepared card on the screen instead....
"You won 4-0 and you got a hatrick...how do you feel"
"You lost to a goal in the 96th minute ...how do you feel"
Reporter "Your No 9 attacked their defender with a machete in the six yard box...thoughts" / Manager "I'll have to talk to the lad.. I didn't think it was that bad, but we'll wait for the ref's report"

etc etc etc ...

Back