• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fans returning to stadiums put on hold.

Last time it was this high the deaths from Covid-19 were knocking around an average of 750 a day. Currently average of 12 per day yet the number.

I went to Tescos (Pitsea) and forgot my mask. Walking around I don't know why I bothered. Loads of people not wearing a mask. And i'm not talking young. I'm talking old. The people that you would think would be shielding. Some had a mask, but it was around there hand (Presumably ready to be put on if they got challenged) None were wearing an exemption lanyard.

However, i digress. Don't see why it has been delayed. Seats are all socially distanced, no more than 6 people in a Bubble. Seating is outdoors (ignore the roof, its as good as outdoors as they come). Would imagine it would only be season ticket holders so would only be around 1,500 maximum.

I have two confirmed and three probable cases in my household traced back to kids going to school.

It would be madness to allow people into football stadiums.

As long as we survive!

We will.

We’re just waiting on the green light from the council, and that will allow us access to funds again.

In the meantime, all we have to do is fob HMRC off with a few bits and bob payments, which we’ll do by selling a few players.

It’s not ideal, but it’ll have to do for now.

They haven’t stepped in to save the travel, tourism and aviation industries as yet, would think saving football clubs is unlikely.

I agree, I said they need to, not that they will. Not sure who is more inept, this Government or the EFL tbh. Probably the Government, but there's not much in it.

Last time it was this high the deaths from Covid-19 were knocking around an average of 750 a day. Currently average of 12 per day yet the number.

I went to Tescos (Pitsea) and forgot my mask so purchased a pack at customer services before commencing my shopping. Walking around I don't know why I bothered. Loads of people not wearing a mask. And i'm not talking young. I'm talking old. The people that you would think would be shielding. Some had a mask, but it was around there hand (Presumably ready to be put on if they got challenged) None were wearing an exemption lanyard.

However, i digress. Don't see why it has been delayed. Seats are all socially distanced, no more than 6 people in a Bubble. Seating is outdoors (ignore the roof, its as good as outdoors as they come). Would imagine it would only be season ticket holders so would only be around 1,500 maximum.

There, in a nutshell, is the problem. What is so difficult in wearing a mask? Why are people so arrogant? You wear it not only to protect yourself but you protect others in case you’ve got it. But that’s us as a nation, selfish generally. But as you say, I digress.

I went to Tescos (Pitsea) and forgot my mask so purchased a pack at customer services before commencing my shopping. Walking around I don't know why I bothered. Loads of people not wearing a mask. And i'm not talking young. I'm talking old. The people that you would think would be shielding. Some had a mask, but it was around there hand (Presumably ready to be put on if they got challenged) None were wearing an exemption lanyard.

I agree same at my Tesco’s on the A127. I get some people cant wear the for medical reasons etc. What i dont get is the staff not wearing them. Masks are there to protect other people not yourself, so the staff dont protect the costumers unless they are all not wearing on medical grounds, it isnt jus Tesco;s by the way lol.

on the topic it isnt a surprise at all, i fear for some clubs greatly, including ours to a degree but i do feel we will get through it.

Surely there’s more chance of Covid spreading in a Wetherspoons on a Friday night (10pm curfew or not) than in a socially distanced, outdoor football stadium with plenty of restrictions and rules in place. I thought the successful return of fans in Germany might have given us a bit of hope that the same could happen over here, but clearly not. We’ll be lucky to be back in Roots Hall before the 20/21 season is over, if the season is even finished that is (and we still have a club to support).

I agree, I said they need to, not that they will. Not sure who is more inept, this Government or the EFL tbh. Probably the Government, but there's not much in it.
It wouldnt just be the government it would be who ever was in elected power, no one would have dealt with it before and would be struggling with what to do, all would listen to the same people, its smile and mirrors by all parties.

Re helping football no they wont, there has only been a very low level political party interest at maybe one or two meetings

This comes as a huge disappointment but hardly a big surprise. Our concentration has, understandably, been on our own trials and tirbulations on and off the pitch, maybe we now need to step back and take a wider view?
The Football League (in their wisdom?) no doubt compiled the fixture list in the (hope?) expectation that Covid-19 would be a temporary inconvenience. Crowds, it believed would start, in a small way, returning to grounds in early October. The theory, I suppose, was that numbers would increase until, by the New Year, we would have restored some kind of 'normality.' The rumblings are now that not even a step toward 'normality' will be achieved for the forseeable future. Where does that leave, not only Southend United but the likes of other League One and Two clubs who rely largely on gate receipts to survive?
It appears to me that survival, in the League's present form can only be maintained by either huge injections of government assistance or by a far greater and fairer redistribution of monies in the game. Without some kind of assistance the present set up is unsustainable
the EFL should rapidly be convening 'cobra meetings' of its own to consider what action it needs to take in the light of present events. Probably wishful thinking rather than hope or expectation? In truth I imagine it will stick its head in the sand and hope the problem somehow miraculously disappears. Thus, the almost obscene spectacle (in the present situation), seen last Saturday, when my club travelled the length of the country ( a 652 mile round trip) to fulfill a fixture at Carlisle, will continue. The tragic reality of the action (or inaction) of the EFL leaves the question begging............how many clubs will be forced out of existence before something is done???

Hold on to them season cards for the new year, I’m glad I’ve stuck to watching non league games so far.

Reactions: tia
I can’t see how the Government can step in, nor should they. There is enough money floating around in the football industry for it to self help all its members...if they step in to help football why not then the building industry, accounting industry etc etc , where would it stop ?

It wouldnt just be the government it would be who ever was in elected power, no one would have dealt with it before and would be struggling with what to do, all would listen to the same people, its smile and mirrors by all parties.

Re helping football no they wont, there has only been a very low level political party interest at maybe one or two meetings

I respectfully disagree on the government, but that's not for here.

I think we'll have to once more go with our EFL branded begging bowl to the Premier League. I wonder what they'll take in return this time?

This comes as a huge disappointment but hardly a big surprise. Our concentration has, understandably, been on our own trials and tirbulations on and off the pitch, maybe we now need to step back and take a wider view?
The Football League (in their wisdom?) no doubt compiled the fixture list in the (hope?) expectation that Covid-19 would be a temporary inconvenience. Crowds, it believed would start, in a small way, returning to grounds in early October. The theory, I suppose, was that numbers would increase until, by the New Year, we would have restored some kind of 'normality.' The rumblings are now that not even a step toward 'normality' will be achieved for the forseeable future. Where does that leave, not only Southend United but the likes of other League One and Two clubs who rely largely on gate receipts to survive?
It appears to me that survival, in the League's present form can only be maintained by either huge injections of government assistance or by a far greater and fairer redistribution of monies in the game. Without some kind of assistance the present set up is unsustainable
the EFL should rapidly be convening 'cobra meetings' of its own to consider what action it needs to take in the light of present events. Probably wishful thinking rather than hope or expectation? In truth I imagine it will stick its head in the sand and hope the problem somehow miraculously disappears. Thus, the almost obscene spectacle (in the present situation), seen last Saturday, when my club travelled the length of the country ( a 652 mile round trip) to fulfill a fixture at Carlisle, will continue. The tragic reality of the action (or inaction) of the EFL leaves the question begging............how many clubs will be forced out of existence before something is done???

The problem is the EFl has no power. This is the huge problem when you have different administrative bodies (the Premier League and the EFL) running the professional game, it creates conflicts of interests, and of course the Premier League has the money, and therefore the power.

The EFL can do very little, as has been proven over the years when the Premier League have managed to do just about everything they want (B Teams, EPPP, scrapping cup replays) to the detriment of the lower leagues.

The solidarity payments from the PL keeps the lower league clubs alive and the PL knows it. There's absolutely no way they will do the right thing, like a fairer redistribution of TV money, to help the pyramid be sustainable in the long run.

The only future I see for the bottom two divisions is part-time, making the top two divisions effectively a closed shop. As they always wanted.

I have two confirmed and three probable cases in my household traced back to kids going to school.

It would be madness to allow people into football stadiums.

The schools should have been opened in mid June and remained open all summer. With the option for parents to take children out for various holiday breaks....Isolation would have worked and all the kids would have herd immunity by now. The so called second wave would be smaller and easier for the NHS and everyone else would be back in work.

Oh and fans would be back in RH even if not the full numbers.

I respectfully disagree on the government, but that's not for here.

I think we'll have to once more go with our EFL branded begging bowl to the Premier League. I wonder what they'll take in return this time?
I dont disagree with your thoughts re government just think they would all be the same but as you say not for here.

Re the begging bowl the Prem gave an advance on the solidarity monies earlier this year due to COVID, the EFL never paid those monies on the clubs and left it i=n the bank hoping to get through or thats what was reported in the press.

The only future I see for the bottom two divisions is part-time, making the top two divisions effectively a closed shop. As they always wanted.

Ideal opportunity for a PL club to adopt and bale out a L2 team......Then make them their B team......We need to be very careful what we agree to.

We would be better off if several clubs went bust and then the league would have to let then restart and be reinstated

The problem is the EFl has no power. This is the huge problem when you have different administrative bodies (the Premier League and the EFL) running the professional game, it creates conflicts of interests, and of course the Premier League has the money, and therefore the power.

The EFL can do very little, as has been proven over the years when the Premier League have managed to do just about everything they want (B Teams, EPPP, scrapping cup replays) to the detriment of the lower leagues.

The solidarity payments from the PL keeps the lower league clubs alive and the PL knows it. There's absolutely no way they will do the right thing, like a fairer redistribution of TV money, to help the pyramid be sustainable in the long run.

That's a pretty bleak assessment. The EFL is in a strange position ( a foot in both camps ) as far as the Championship is concerned. Do you see a future where the Premiership would take responsibility for the Championship as its feeder league. Would you envisage any promotion and relegation between the top two division and the lower leagues? If there was would it be extremely restricted or more based on financial criteria?

What’s the point of cutting short the season from a financial perspective? Bills stick rack up, wages still need paying etc. I can’t see the government still having a big pot to extend furlough for any significant amount of time
Worrying times

How much money is the football club going to realistically get when council sign off FF. I would imagine that all debts paid first which is great, Ron is then going to want his outlay over the years back plus a tidy profit else what was the point of him sticking with it.
Then of course the ground needs to be built from that money.
Do I have an unrealistic vision of what those debts and costs all rack up to (guessing £25million +) ??

I really do not see how the PL are going to be in a position to distribute any additional funding to FL clubs on the basis that collectively they will be losing over £100m per month without fans in attendance. This season is going to be a write off for fans attending games in stadiums, the best option is to continue purchasing iFollow match passes or season tickets, stock up on SUFC merchandise and hope for the best!

There, in a nutshell, is the problem. What is so difficult in wearing a mask? Why are people so arrogant? You wear it not only to protect yourself but you protect others in case you’ve got it. But that’s us as a nation, selfish generally. But as you say, I digress.
Totally agree.

I have also seen many people in Pitsea Tesco not wearing masks and also in many other shops.

I am currently down in Cornwall and wearing of masks and social distancing is fully respected. It is very busy down here yet because people are following the guidelines new infection rates are lower down here.

Back